Top 10 AB songs

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: Top 10 AB songs

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Well I'm an idiot, I forgot to put Watch Over You in my top 10. Replace STTV with WOY in my top.

Decay

Post by Decay »

This list is ever-changing, but here we go with the current faves:

1. Cry Of Achilles
2. Open Your Eyes
3. Blackbird
4. Words Darker Than Their Wings
5. Brand New Start
6. Broken Wings
7. Calm The Fire
8. Waters Rising
9. Watch Over You
10. Fortress

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

1. Blackbird
2. Fortess
3. Cry Of Achilles
4. Calm The Fire
5. Ties That Bind
6. Slip To The Void
7. The End Is Here
8. Words Darker Than Their Wings
9. Waters Rising
10. Show Me A Sign

Fortess / Calm The Fire / Cry Of Achilles are all good and among Alter Bridge's best. I can't easily pick the best one from them so I decided to put them all together, and I couldn't justify putting any song above them (apart from Blackbird) so put them in at 2-4, although 2-7 are all pretty interchangeable, and there's quite a few other options that could have taken 10th place.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Cry of Achilles
Blackbird
Fortress
Burn it Down
Words
One by One
Water's Rising
In Loving Memory
Watch Over You
Broken Wings

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Thanks for the props, Ubik. Happyhogjens, don't feel bad. I love almost all of the songs on your list. As a matter of fact, I can only think of a couple of AB songs that I generally do not like.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

alterbridgefan2099
Brand New Start

Post by alterbridgefan2099 »

Mine's not as good xD, and not so Fortress heavy.

1. Buried Alive -------
2. Slip to the Void
3. All hope is gone ----------- Part 1: Darkness takes over.
4. Isolation
5. Addicted to Pain -------
6. In loving Memory ---
7. Open your eyes.
8. I know it hurts ----------- Part 2: All bad things end. (Rebirth).
9. One Day Remains (Or Rise Today)
10. The end is here. ---

I tried to make a concept album. Falling into that void. Falling down. Losing it all, and then being reborn and fighting back. Winning, or losing you gave it your best.

I didn't so much pick the BEST AB songs EVER. I left a bunch out too, but I took some that cover loss of self. And overcoming all else...such as depression and stuff. I don't quite know how perfect my list adds up when telling a story...but you get an idea (You all can modify it better than me xD). One thing after another the music takes you down, and then builds you up. And then just ends...on a kind of judgement day where whatever happens you're forgiven, or you give up.

This would be more like my perfect AB album...but yea...
That's my whole idea...but choosing a top 10 AB list is crap xD, because ALLLL their stuff is and will forever be perfect. There are no favorites in my opinion.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Fortress
Bleed It Dry
Cry of Achilles
Slip To The Void
Find The Real
Show Me A Sign
Buried Alive
The Uninvited
The End Is Here
New Way To Live

alert23
Bought The CDs

Post by alert23 »

1. Broken Wings
2. Blackbird
3. Find the Real
4. White Knuckles
5. Come to Life
6. Bleed It Dry
7. All Hope Is Gone
8. Fortress
9. Ties That Bind
10.One Day Remains

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

1. All Hope Is Gone
2. Lover
3. Fortress
4. White Knuckles
5. New Way To Live
6. Ties That Bind
7. Slip To The Void
8. Watch Over You
9. Wonderful Life
10. Calm The Fire

The first 10 off the top of my head when it comes to favorites.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

1. Burn It Down
2. Bleed It Dry
3. Waters Rising
4. Find The Real
5. Cry Of Achilles
6. Brand New Start
7. Words Darker Than Their Wings
8. The Damage Done
9. Blackbird
10. Ghosts Of Days Gone By

Special mention goes to Watch Your Words because it rocks and it's my favourite to play on guitar. That bridge section is awesome fun.

CreamCrazy
Brand New Start

Post by CreamCrazy »

Last made one these lists a YEAR before Fortress. it needs revising

#1. Broken Wings (NO CHANGE)
#2. Brand New Start (NO CHANGE)
#3. Ghosts Of Days Gone By (UP 1)
#4. Calm The Fire (NEW)
#5. Coeur d'Alene (NO CHANGE)
#6. Cry Of Achilles (NEW)
#7. In Loving Memory (DOWN 4)
#8. Blackbird (DOWN 2)
#9. Wonderful Life/Watch Over You (DOWN 2, I've been grouping these two together since the Wembley 2011 gig. I never listen to them apart anymore)
#10. Slip The The Void (NEW)

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:

Metalingus (Formerly #8)
Zero
Before Tomorrow Comes (Formerly #9)
One Day Remains (Formerly #10)
The End Is Here

PompeY2J
Bought The CDs

Post by PompeY2J »

1. Fortress. Five months on and this still elicits an 'overwhelming emotional response' from me. Very few songs do that, and a number of them are from this band. Solo tells the perfect story.
2. Blackbird. Weighed up whether to stick this at 2 or 3. It's Blackbird. That solo, especially Myles, tells a story which is a lost art now. Every note is built on passion and genuine emotion.
3. Cry of Achilles. Requires almost no explanation.
4. Slip to the Void. Dat intro.
5. White Knuckles. No nonsense song that is now my ringtone, to much annoyance from others.
6. All Hope is Gone. For me the song that really showed off the rhythm section but more importantly it is a song I can associate with having been in that mindframe before.
7. Metalingus. Was actually my favourite song off ODR. Then I sat down and watched the WWE for the first time, and guess who was on it? Alter Bridge, backstage with Edge. Guess who became an Edgehead in 0.7 seconds?
8. Waters Rising. Shows off the bands depth and Mark's vocals really suit the song.
9. Come to Life. Really like the passion.
10. Fallout. May as well be the soundtrack to my life.

A heap of honourable mentions - but there's 25 of them so I won't bore you.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

This is very difficult to put together, because my top ten really has no order... Changes all the time. They're all #1 for different reasons. But I guess if i have to:

-Cry Of Achilles- Intro, first heavy verse. i remember the tears in my eyes and smile on my face when i first heard: "Dont close your eyes, Something beautiful is still alive...". Perfection.
-Life Must Go On/All Ends Well- The message of both songs lifts me up, the bridge of LMGO and the chorus of AEW are absolutely stunning.
-All Hope Is Gone- The piratey feel during the verses, soaring chorus, heavy ass bridge, Mark and Myles' harmonies.
-Watch Over You- I'm pretty sure this song is perfect.
-Lover- DEEP lyrics, best I've heard from Myles since MF4 days, and still, some of the best. The moodyness really sets in during the bridge, "The triggers warm, the chamber is loaded." CHILLS
-Calm The Fire- again, perfect. this song defines how amazing Alter Bridge is in the instrumental department, and what can I say about Myles that hasnt already been said. Lyrics are pretty awesome too
-Blackbird- I dont think I need to explain.
-Shed My Skin- The melody of the guitar throughout is astonishing to me. Lyrics really hit home for me, especially during the bridge.
-Coeur D'Alene- When this song finally set in for me, it was really cool, its a normal AB song, but the meaning of it just brings it to another level for me.
-Down To My Last- SOARS. Everything about this song screams with melody.
----------------------
Honorable 11-20's
-The Damage Done- Pretty Badass song, i love the bass in the beginning.
-Words Darker Than Their Wings- This song helps me through my own struggles, it shows me that there is still hope(Marks verse), even when Im doubting myself and the world around me(Myles).
-Show Me A Sign- DARK. seems like this song is a love or hate type of thing. I love it.
-In Loving Memory- The thing about this song, is that it is so difficult to listen to, but its too special to leave off this list.
-Bleed It Dry- One of AB's heaviest songs, but also one their softest. I love the jazzy bridge.
-I Know It Hurts- Uplifting, heavy and melodic. "Theres still tomorrow, hold on." Seriously, thank you Myles.
-Fortress- This song has a bunch of stuff going on during the bridge, and its very theatrical. I think this is my favorite AB bridge.
-White Knuckles- Heavy as hell. "Hold on for your life." <----That right there, :headbang
-Waters Rising- Apocalyptic, but it isnt cheesy. Mark did an amazing job on this one. the 2nd chorus gave me chills when i first hear it. His vocals have really improved a lot live with this song.
-The End Is Here- ... epic.

Any of those 11-20's could have replaced a Top Ten, it all depends on my mood.
Thanks Timo!

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Alright guys, thought you would be somewhat (not really) interested in seeing my top 10 compared to my twin brother's top 10 (he's not a member here). It's so funny how our tastes in AB are so different, with me being the diehard and him slowly becoming one. He's not a big fan of ODR at all, while I think it's amazing, and our Top 5's from EACH album are so different, let alone trying to sort through all of the songs. With that being said:

My Top 10
1. Cry of Achilles
2. Calm the Fire
3. Blackbird
4. Come to Life
5. Words Darker Than Their Wings
6. Fortress
7. Slip to the Void
8. Ghost of Days Gone By
9. Burn it Down
10. Rise Today

My Twin's Top 10
1. Fortress
2. Open Your Eyes
3. Words Darker Than Their Wings
4. Ghost of Days Gone By
5. Bleed it Dry
6. Isolation
7. Waters Rising
8. Peace is Broken
9. Ties That Bind
10. Blackbird
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Electricladyland
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Electricladyland »

These are all great lists! I've enjoyed reading them so far. Here's my top ten.

1. Cry of Achilles
2. Blackbird
3. Burn It Down
4. All Hope Is Gone
5. Ties That Bind
6. Slip To The Void
7. Calm The Fire
8. White Knuckles
9. Fortress
10. New Way To Live

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

It is cool to see Water's Rising on a few lists, I actually thought I might be one of the only people to include it already.

Outright
White Knuckled

Post by Outright »

I've been trying to make a list since the thread started, and I still haven't been able to. I tried, though.

1. Blackbird
2. Cry of Achilles
3. One Day Remains
4. Slip to the Void
5. Lover
6. Burn It Down
7. In Loving Memory
8. Open Your Eyes
9. Watch Over You (Duet)
10. Waters Rising

All Ends Well lingers.
You should never come this way
To test the hands of fate
You don't belong here

Agmontal
Brand New Start

Post by Agmontal »

very difficult list to make but -
1 - Coming Home
2 - Metalingus
2 - Blackbird
4 - Open your eyes
5 - Buried alive
6 - Broken wings
7 - The end is here
8 - In loving memory
9 - Wonderful life
10 - Farther than the sun

I guess ..

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

After listening to Fortress for awhile now, I think I can put together a solid top ten across all the albums.

1. Blackbird
2. Cry of Achilles
3. Brand New Start
4. Fortress
5. Calm the Fire
6. I Know It Hurts
7. Lover
8. Down To My Last
9. New Way To Live
10. Buried Alive

cajmoyper
Bought The CDs

Post by cajmoyper »

I've never put this down so this is good for me.

1) Burn it Down- AB's first epic. And to me still unsurpassed. Nothing they have, even still, goes from as low to as high in intensity. Mark's solo makes this song though and I love it!!!
2) Brand New Start- I love the intro and to me, they don't have a song whose lyrics fit so perfectly with the music. And again, the solo sets this one apart. It's got hints of SRV in it. I think it's Mark's blues-iest solo.
3) Blackbird- I don't think I have to explain myself on this one.
4) Cry of Achilles- I like to think this is the dynamic duo's most balanced collaboration. Some songs just scream Mark or Myles, but this one, with Myles genius classically-inspired intro and his solo to Mark's riffing and his solo is a true amalgamation of what Alter Bridge is capable of.
5) Bleed it Dry- I think it's their heaviest riff. But just when you think it's going to get even heavier, Myles slows it down with that incredible guitar picking. And then in true Tremonti form, Mark brings it back up steadily through one of my favorite solos of his.
6) Farther than the Sun- I heard Myles describe this chorus as being very "swing". An explanation I couldn't quite put my finger on but well said. And to get to that from the opening riff is something it seems AB can only do within the context of the same song. And out of the norm for the guys is having Myles lead the two out of the solos. Normally Mark's gets me more pumped but this song belongs to Myles.
7) Show Me a Sign- Another of those Burn it Down-type songs. Another great team effort on the solos. That includes Flip's take-us-out-of-here solo. This song doesn't get enough love.
8) Coeur D'Alene- My favorite riff from ABIII. I've found this song to have some of the best "teamwork", if that makes sense, of any of AB's song. Some bands have two guitarist's because their singer needs something else to do, but AB puts that rhythm dude to good use. And as usual, I love the solo.
9) Broken Wings- There are some Tremonti melodies I hear where I just think to myself, "How the hell does this guy come up with these melodies?" And this one's a real head-scratcher. It's beautiful...like seriously, I love it. And that little finger-picking outro....just awesome.
10) Fortress- I was hesitant to call AB a prog rock band after Blackbird, hell, even ABIII. This album put that notion to rest. Right off the bat with CoA but this song hammered it home. Time changes, dueling guitar solos, a song structure reminiscent of DT and technicality that'll make your head spin, as much as I love every one of their other songs, I wouldn't hesitate to call this their masterpiece.

Honorable mentions) One Day Remains, Metalingus, The End is Here, Wayward One, Isolation, I Know it Hurts, Words Darker Than Their Wings, Home, Calm the Fire, Waters Rising, Never Say Die