How is AB regarded in the rock community?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
nagpo
On The Rail

How is AB regarded in the rock community?

Post by nagpo »

I'm kind of curious as to how the rock community as a whole thinks of AB. Do they like them, hate em, or "just Creed with a new singer" still? I think of them as modern rock gods like zeppelin. But I can't seem to grasp what the community thinks of the band. I never hear from them on the rock radio, never see/hear people discussing them.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: How is AB regarded in the rock community?

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, I've been dabbling at a couple of forums. Some of the posters at the Dream Theater forums like them a lot. They have a thread that talks about them that has 27 pages (their default posts per page is 35) dating back to ABIII. The MyGNR forums like them, at times. They feel that Myles' voice is more suited with AB than Slash in some parts.

The Download Festival forums like them enough that some of the posters feel like if AB continues what they've been doing in the UK (playing headlining arena shows, making top 10 UK charted albums as well as being critically acclaimed, of course), AB may headline Download on their next album cycle.

Also, the comments in rock news outlets like Ultimate-Guitar and Loudwire have mainly good things to say about them.

JeremiahSwagstein
Brand New Start

Post by JeremiahSwagstein »

People don't even know who they are where I'm at.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

JeremiahSwagstein wrote:People don't even know who they are where I'm at.
Must be Antarctica.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I live in Springfield Ohio and I feel like me and my fiance are the only diehard fans in the near area lol. Most people I've asked have never heard of them and the ones that do don't get all excited like me and seem to brush the topic off. I'm willing to bet that I'm the only member on this site from my city lol.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Lenny?^

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

Oklahoma City checking-in here. In the last seven years, I've met one person who knew of Alter Bridge--the guy who interviewed me for my current job. We spent about twenty minutes of the interview bullshitting about AB, hahahaha. All that aside, I've not met one other person who's heard of them. Needless to say, I'm the only diehard from my area. Drove for the Orlando show last year. Worth it!

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Alter Bridge are getting quite a following here in India imo. Creed had been liked and now Alter Bridge too. Have seen a lot of them mentioning the band. There are a couple of Alter Bridge Tribute bands as well. Overall they are a respected band of the modern times here in India. Close friends and musicians that I have ever mentioned AB in front of have given a listen, they like some songs, and some songs are too modern(sound/cpmmercial aspect wise) in our opinions. I think people generally prefer the classic AB sound more than the latest sound here, however, i think its extremely subjective again.

Overall they are a respected band.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Outright
White Knuckled

Post by Outright »

I think they got more exposure over ABIII than they did with Fortress. I remember Isolation being a bigger hit in my area than Addicted to Pain.
You should never come this way
To test the hands of fate
You don't belong here

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I wonder why rock music isn't popular in the US anymore

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The US mainstream public's taste are changing. They want to hear something different than loud guitars, bass, drums, etc. Rock is now in a niche market, here today, than it was than say 10 years ago.

What that means is that since AB has a sound different than a typical mainstream alternative rock band (like Daughtry, Three Doors Down, etc.), they are a band that has a sound that is fills a niche market within a niche market. It is why they are playing in HOBs and small theaters as oppose to music halls and arenas in Europe (an area where rock has a much larger and popular market).

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

nagpo wrote:I wonder why rock music isn't popular in the US anymore
Because 12 year old girls have too much of a say on what music is and what is popular. If girls didn't think Justin Beiber was cute or his lyrics weren't relatable to middle schoolers, we wouldn't know who he is. Seems the music industry believes that popular = good which isn't true. Plus it's all business. If AB spent millions of dollars advertising Fortress in the US there would be A LOT more people on these forums.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

Alter Bridge does not have millions to spend.

Outright
White Knuckled

Post by Outright »

Jaredr24 wrote:
nagpo wrote:I wonder why rock music isn't popular in the US anymore
Because 12 year old girls have too much of a say on what music is and what is popular. If girls didn't think Justin Beiber was cute or his lyrics weren't relatable to middle schoolers, we wouldn't know who he is. Seems the music industry believes that popular = good which isn't true. Plus it's all business. If AB spent millions of dollars advertising Fortress in the US there would be A LOT more people on these forums.
It's funny because men get the stereotype of being shallow, yet most women only care if the artist has swag.
You should never come this way
To test the hands of fate
You don't belong here

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

I think country is a huge trend in the U.S. right now along with all the hip hoppity stuff as well.. all those chicks/dudes who get songs on country radio seem to sell out arenas left and right

Decay

Post by Decay »

^ I love country music, country is awesome!

But yeah, I doubt AB will ever be as big in the US, as they are in Europe.
The thing is, rock is not popular in the States anymore (like it was in the 70's/80's or 90's), but not only there, but all over the world it ain't a 'trend'... AND their home country has never learned to appreciate AB fully, (it sucks, though) the way the rest of the world has, especially Europe.

Where I come from, (Serbia), I'm willing to bet there ain't a thousand fans of AB here. It sucks, but it is what it is.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

AllC392Was wrote:Lenny?^
Me? No my name is Chris. Are you from Springfield?? lol

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
There is a guy named Lenny from Ohio and I thought you 2 had the same hometown... Nevermind! and nope

[youtube]http://youtu.be/5DLvZbobz58[/youtube]

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

hackingislife wrote:Oklahoma City checking-in here. In the last seven years, I've met one person who knew of Alter Bridge--the guy who interviewed me for my current job. We spent about twenty minutes of the interview bullshitting about AB, hahahaha. All that aside, I've not met one other person who's heard of them. Needless to say, I'm the only diehard from my area. Drove for the Orlando show last year. Worth it!
Come to the Dallas show jabroni

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

AllC392Was wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
There is a guy named Lenny from Ohio and I thought you 2 had the same hometown... Nevermind! and nope

[youtube]http://youtu.be/5DLvZbobz58[/youtube]
oooooooooooo ok I see now lol. Nope, but that is actually kind of close it's about 3 hours away.