Myles on PLAYBOY ITA

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
CatPereiraPT
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Myles on PLAYBOY ITA

Post by CatPereiraPT »

I'm working on the second page. But thanks :)
"“I am nothing. I'll never be anything. I couldn't want to be something. Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams in the world.” - Fernando Pessoa

CatPereiraPT
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CatPereiraPT »

Second page:

Still Myles: It’s a concept that makes me nervous and I’m sure that if what I’m experiencing now had happened when I was 20 years old, I wouldn’t be so clean and with my <head on his shoulders which I guess it means having his head in the right place>. I see artists like Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, who are 18-20 years old and have the world criticizing them and I feel sorry for them. I’m sure that if at that age I had had that sort of media storm around me I wouldn’t be in my right mind.”
Another thing that has made Myles’ beginning difficult is the incurable disease from which he suffers, Chrohn’s disease, which is a chronic enteritis that can have serious side effects.
Myles: “I’ve been very fortunate. I haven’t had any problems in the last 10 years, but I had to be put on a strict diet. With everything that I eat, no exceptions. Touring is difficult for me. It’s impossible to eat like I should on a plane, for example. It can be done, but it’s difficult.”
Playboy: You’re a very emotional person, your songs <squeeze> the soul. <I’m thinking they mean he pours his heart out in his lyrics?> You’ve also said that some almost make you cry.
Myles: “Yes, there have been some special moments. “Blackird” is difficult to sing without <don’t know, but I guess hurting?>, without thinking of the person it was written to.”
Playboy: Where does this sensibility, this personality trait come from?
Myles: “the catalyst of it all, the moment it all started was the death of my father Richard Bass (his mother remarried and got the name Kennedy) when I was 4 years old, a pain that still remains today. It’s strange how so many of the artists I love, for reasons I cannot understand, are those whose father has died, for example Jeff Buckley <I’m guessing he means that, coincidentally, a lot of the artists he likes have gone through the death of their father, not that he likes them because of that>. It’s like you can feel the pain in their songs and that is something that attracts me.”
Playboy: Have you tried to write a song to your father, inspired in this loss?
Myles: “Once. 12 years ago. It was 3a.m., I sat down and decided to write him a song. I stopped after 3 hours. I didn’t manage to do it and I never tried again. It’s too hard.”
Playboy: What’s the thing that makes you most afraid of the darkness that lives in your brain?
Myles: “the dark side of my personality. Absolutely. I want to keep it <mashed, which I think means he wants to keep it hidden>, locked somewhere. I got to experience the severity of it when I was 25-26 years old. I know what it’s made of, I know what it creates in me.”
Playboy: I know. I asked myself, how come you took that road – hard drugs – at 28-29 years old, kind of late. The bad environments and <peer pressure, I guess> usually affects teenagers. <Something like:> If it doesn’t attract you before 28 usually it’s rarer to start using.
Myles: “It was weird, but I didn’t just mature slowly physically. Being an adult was a concept that I had not understood yet at that age. I was a kid trapped in the body of an adult. To me it was a “perfect storm” with a combination of negative aspects. I had recorded an album with Mayfield Four that created a lot of disappointment which accumulated in a pile of hatred for myself caused by situations that I hadn’t faced yet, starting by the death of my father. It was a whole bunch of negative situations that led me to spend time with people I should avoid. Do you want to relieve the pain? Try this. I didn’t say no. It’s a seduction that is hard saying no to, because the pain goes away. In that period of time I lost friends and family and there was one moment in particular that made me open my eyes. I went out with a friend of mine doing things we shouldn’t be doing and the next morning he was dead. I got a call saying he was dead. We had been together 5 hours earlier. That was the wake up call. Never again. Dancing with the devil isn’t productive. For me that memory serves as constant reminder. Don’t go back, don’t fall back, Myles. Keep the dark side at bay. My wife was an essential instrument to saving me. She gave me the strength. She gave me the safety <or confidence?>. What scares me is that people die of unnatural causes. What happens if the cornerstone of your life isn’t there? That’s my greatest fear, the return of the darkness would be guaranteed.”
Playboy: You live in Spokane, WA, not a big city, far away from almost everything, Seattle is the closest big city. Is it your haven, your paradise on Earth?
Myles: “Absolutely. It’s my safety, my haven, exactly. It’s a precious world that I’ll always protect. I’m fortunate enough to travel so much and I’m living a moment of success both with Slash and Alter Bridge and the possibility of escaping to my little world of peace, my Eden is rare. But I always try to protect it.”
"“I am nothing. I'll never be anything. I couldn't want to be something. Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams in the world.” - Fernando Pessoa

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Wow, that was very intense..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Pretty powerful stuff, here. Thanks for translating it, CatPereiraPT.

Suvi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Suvi »

:bow Thank you so much! Great interview :)

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Wow, never really seen him talk that much about his past troubles, I'd always wondered what had happened, but that was obviously very difficult for him to talk about. Thanks very much for the translation.
For all of the hope that it brings...

CatPereiraPT
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CatPereiraPT »

Ok, last and final part:

Playboy: What does your wife do?
Myles: “My wife takes care of children who come from broken families, maladjusted children. Her work was one of the reasons why I wanted to marry her, I was the misfit child that needed therapy. She’s very shy, every time someone wants to take a picture of us she always escapes, she never wants to be in the picture. She’s all shyness.”
Playboy: Beautiful woman. I photographed her once in the Sonisphere 2011 in Italy, backstage. Never used the photo.
Myles: “Yes, she often comes with me. It’d be a big problem if she didn’t like to travel… Thanks for not using the photo.”
Playboy: <I’m not sure but it’s something like: > How do you see the world of “sex, drugs and rock n’ roll” that surrounds you when you’re on tour, given the temptations that it could present?For example, in Sonisphere Imola 2011, Sum41, who <I’m not sure if they behaved the opposite of Alter Bridge of if their dressing room was opposite of their>, made a real spree with women, alcohol and reggae music. Maybe Derick wanted to be distracted from his problems with Avril Lavigne, who knows?

Myles: “Fortunately I don’t see this debauched side often. Both my bands are made up of very “squared” musicians with their heads on their shoulders <again, I think this means they have their head in the right place>. Slash is spotless, Mike and the guys on Alter Bridge too. I think with my age, and the experiences I’ve been through, I could stay grounded and consistent with my ideas even if I there were drug addicts and alcoholics in the bands I work with. Look and don’t touch.”
Playboy: You’ve just launched a line of “designer glasses” with Moscot in New York, famous for their glasses and also charitable work for the community. They offer free glasses to kids in need through the Moscot Mobileyes Foundation. You did a beneficence show with them, amongst others. How did you get there?
Myles: “We met last year. I’ve always liked their frames. We had a meeting and they seemed good <not sure if the company was good or they wanted to do good>, then in the spring they contacted me and asked if I wanted to put my signature on two pairs of glasses that they were launching, so I suggested doing something more, like giving money to charity, doing a show, an auction for a guitar lesson, so on. It’s something interesting, different. <Something I don’t get>, I’m glad. We scraped together money for the children and we had fun.”
Playboy: Are you involved in other charities closer to home?
Myles: “not enough, time is what it is. But I have a foot in the Foodbank, local, close to my house. So when I go home I go spend time volunteering, I do inventory, food distribution. It’s rewarding, the time I spend is returned in personal satisfaction. It’d be selfish not to.”
Playboy: You were raised by your mother and that’s very important to you. You wrote a song from her point of view, “All Ends Well”, which has a motto: believe in yourself.
Myles: “Yes, when I was a kid I had a hard time understanding what my vocation was, which road to take. I was very insecure. The song is inspired by phrases and words that told me to move forward and believe in myself. She was with me throughout that period. My mother has a strong personality and she was a very important role model for me. She was my guide at times. She suffered a lot with the death of my father, she was young and had to kids to raise. It was very difficult for her. What she said was gold to me. Her words became my mantra.”
Playboy: <I’m not entirely sure but, considering his answer, I think the question is if Myles has ever wondered what kind of father he’d be.>
Myles: “Yes, but I lead a life so intense that I don’t know how to keep him close. If I had children I would like to keep him as close as possible but at the moment it isn’t physically possible. It would be selfish to go on tour. My kids would probably siffer from asthma or other psychosomatic illnesses from lack of time with their father. But I love children. I’ve been to Mark’s home for dinner and he has a wonderful family, his children are incredible.”
Playboy: An incredible moment in your life was when Jimmy Page called you and you went to audition for Led Zeppelin, your idols. You must have felt very small <not sure if it’s very small like a kid again or small as in humbly small>, I imagine.
Myles: “Nothing before them <no idea>. They wanted to put together a project and <don’t know> they called m and we tried together for a while. If it had happened, it would become a situation like the one with Slash, another project in which I’d participate but not exclusively. Being in the same room, singing the songs played by Jimmy Page will always be one of the most important moments, albeit brief, of my career.”
Playboy: Back to earth, I know you’ve described yourself as a “geek” in the past, a wimp, or are you still?
Myles: “Completely, absolutely. I was and still am. Deep down I’m still a kid. When I was a teenager I was never inserted in the group of the cool kids. Me and my friends were not the most popular of the class. I was one of the spam-nerds <makes any sense to you?>. I used to play the trumpet in a band, an instrument that was not the most popular or appreciated. And it’s a role in which I’ve fell ever since and that I have no problem with. I don’t think the audience appreciates me because I’m cool, but because they are good and this is fine by me. I have no problem with people telling me I’m a “geek”. I love “Star Wars” and I’m not afraid to say it. Darth Wader is my god. Darth Wader and Jimmy Page!”

You're all welcome. Hope you enjoy it. It is a good enterview, no doubt. If anyone knows how to correct something, please do.

Basically: :mkrules

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Thank you so much for all the effort, Cat :cheers Loved the interview!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Darned Sum 41 and their debauched reggae music ways!
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I’m not afraid to say it. Darth Vader is my god. Darth Vader and Jimmy Page!”
Wow, what a statement. :mkrules. Thanks for the translation, man.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

Thanks so much for translating that! Great information here, very candid.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Props for the taking the time to translate :)
Thanks Timo!

Ariana
Bought The CDs

Post by Ariana »

Wow, looks like CatPereiraPT was way faster than me. Thanks for translating this, man.

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Post by claudiocc »

Hello I am Italian, and not sure if I will find time to translate it ( I can see somebody else is on it), but for sure one of the best interview I have ever read. very deep inside Myles, and not the classic questions always made regarding the album, the song and so on. It's very deep, talking about the early stage of Myles' life, which has dark sides and he is talking about his dark side that he wants to keep it buried for ever.
Very, very personal.
Again, great interview and lot of honesty from Myles to release to public some of his inside

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

GazEd wrote:Stone
Faced
PLAYA
:lol :lol :lol

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Wow, what a revealing interview. I know Myles isn't the type to write an autobiography... but I'd definitely read it if he changed his mind :lol

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Thank you so much for translating this!! Another great article in what has become a string of very interesting interviews. Myles really seems to be opening up more these days. I interpret that as indicative of the fact that he thinks life is going well, and he's more confident in himself than ever before.
Dan Dando wrote:Wow, what a revealing interview. I know Myles isn't the type to write an autobiography... but I'd definitely read it if he changed his mind :lol
Agreed!

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Thank you so much for the translation!
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

Wow that was intense. I remember when I heard that the song "Not For Me" by Slash had come out, and someone had said it was partly about Myles' on drug use (as well as Slash obviously) and I had no idea that he had dabbled at all. Now I have an idea of what went on, what his mindset was like. Thank you for translating. Saved me from putting it all into Google. haha

CatPereiraPT
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CatPereiraPT »

Kreuger33 wrote:Wow that was intense. I remember when I heard that the song "Not For Me" by Slash had come out, and someone had said it was partly about Myles' on drug use (as well as Slash obviously) and I had no idea that he had dabbled at all. Now I have an idea of what went on, what his mindset was like. Thank you for translating. Saved me from putting it all into Google. haha
You're welcome. But honestly, Google did help me with a doubt or two (or twenty..)