'Lover' Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
CatPereiraPT
TABN.com Citizen

Re: 'Lover' Appreciation Thread

Post by CatPereiraPT »

It sounds like "Lu-vah" to me and it's cute. Cute Myles. The song is amazing, it's one of my favourites, and that intro is stuck in my brain BUT in one of the track by track videos Myles said something like they're waiting to see if the fans figure out what the lyrics are about. What is it about, people??
"“I am nothing. I'll never be anything. I couldn't want to be something. Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams in the world.” - Fernando Pessoa

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I feel like we got the lyrics now. I think they were talking about the lyrics actually being very, very dark

CatPereiraPT
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CatPereiraPT »

AB23 wrote:I feel like we got the lyrics now. I think they were talking about the lyrics actually being very, very dark
Oh, they thought we'd think it's a cutesy love song?
"“I am nothing. I'll never be anything. I couldn't want to be something. Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams in the world.” - Fernando Pessoa

Decay

Post by Decay »

That's what we all thought, but it's a polar opposite of that. :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They made clear from the beginning that it would be a very dark song though..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

CatPereiraPT
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CatPereiraPT »

Got it. When I heard him say that I thought there was something specific about the song that we had yet to understand. Like, some specific inspiration for those lyrics. Nevermind me! :X

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Going back to whoever mentioned the backing lyrics during the final chorus... I love those as well. They could stand on their own as a separate outro, but I love the way they layered them in. That melody actually gets stuck in my head as much as the main chorus melody.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

abw1987 wrote:Going back to whoever mentioned the backing lyrics during the final chorus... I love those as well. They could stand on their own as a separate outro, but I love the way they layered them in. That melody actually gets stuck in my head as much as the main chorus melody.
Seconded.

I was being facetious before with my "I appreciate this song" in all of the appreciation threads just to be a douche, but Lover is without a doubt in my top two Fortress songs. I wasn't sure what to expect from it but I was intrigued by all of the things that they had been saying about it in interviews and whatnot. I got chills the first time I heard it and I still do to this day.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Lover is one of those songs that I've really dug on my first listen, but then I've kinda lost it in the mix and listened to the likes of Cry Of Achilles, Calm The Fire, Fortress, etc... a lot...

Now, Lover is in my top 5 favorites on Fortress, I can relate to it, totally.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I think more AB songs should have that climactic feel that songs like Lover has. The way Myles sings softly until the bridge where it builds up and then the song goes normal again until the part around 4:14 where he does his awesome vocals :cloud9 Or in Burn It Down where it builds up until the "remember to carry ooooooooooooooooooooon" line.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Lover and Burn it Down are very similar, musically, in a sense. They both have that eerie strumming (which I absolutely love!) which really lets Myles showcase the low vocals. Then at the end they let Myles show off his high notes.

The difference is, the climax of burn it down is as good as any alter bridge song. You just feel like the song is slowly building up to that point throughout the entire song. And then at the end with the solo, its almost like a triumphant feeling as Myles is screaming out that last note as if you've beaten whatever addiction has been bringing you down. Burn it Down is incredibly underrated and is a work of art

SOAP10
Brand New Start

Post by SOAP10 »

In my opinion it is the best song of fortress...I fell in love with this song since the first time i heard it(:

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I think it shows how much I rate Fortress when I absolutely love this song... but think of it as the fifth best song on the album - after COA, Fortress, Calm The Fire and Waters Rising. Great stuff :)

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

The moment it started playing I knew it was going to be one of my favorites.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Amazing lyrics, because they are kinda personal for me. It's almost like it's directed at me. It's really the first time I can relate to a song on that level.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I appreciate the live version most of the time. Especially with little additions like what Myles does at the end guitar part here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZBTNm9Nig

Outright
White Knuckled

Post by Outright »

^ Makes me wish they had left the last chorus out of the studio version (after the AHHHHOOOHHAAH.)
You should never come this way
To test the hands of fate
You don't belong here

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I appreciate the live version most of the time. Especially with little additions like what Myles does at the end guitar part here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZBTNm9Nig

How to ruin a live performance with clappings

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah. I love Myles little improv solo as well. The song is great, but the solo puts it over the top.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Felipesh wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I appreciate the live version most of the time. Especially with little additions like what Myles does at the end guitar part here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiZBTNm9Nig

How to ruin a live performance with clappings
:lol