The "AB III" Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

The "AB III" Appreciation Thread

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Over the last couple weeks since "Fortress" leaked, it's occurred to me that "AB III" seems to be most fans' least favorite Alter Bridge record. So this thread is to show "AB III" some love. I think "Fotress" is my favorite AB album, but "AB III" is one of those albums that I think will always hold a special place in my heart. I never get an irresistible urge to listen to it anymore, but whenever I'm listening to my iPod and any of those songs come on, I always smile and feel myself lifted up a little. Those tracks helped get me through a rough time, and are doing so once again. No, it's not Alter Bridge's best album, not even close, but there are some brilliant songs on there, and you can't listen to it without doing so from front to back. It really takes you on a journey. You can't say that about too many albums these days. And the lyrics, good lord. Some of Myles' best, most personal, and most genuine. Props to him for being so honest on that album.

Woooooo AB III.
Last edited by ALTERSTEVE on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lotha
Colloquial

Re: The "AB III" Appreciation Thread

Post by Lotha »

WOOOOOOOOOOO AB III
Part of why I love that album is the lyrics.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

I'm not in that camp. I love ABIII. Great theme. Great lyrics. My least favourite album is ODR.

Gfunk839
Brand New Start

Post by Gfunk839 »

My favourite album, because of the themes of struggling with faith . . like it was written for me. It's like the "anti-fortress" 80% slower tempo songs versus a few loud ones. Still an amazing record. :bow

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Listening to "Ghost of Days Gone By" right now.

I DON'T WANNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Decay

Post by Decay »

I love AB III. It's a great album, but it doesn't stand close to the perfection of ODR, BB and Fortress.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

ABIII is excellent, just not as good as Blackbird or Fortress, but better than ODR (don't kill me :embarrassed) Its got so many high quality songs, probably more than any album IMO. The songs just aren't as memorable though. Highlights for me: Schlip, Isolation, Ghosts, AHIG, Make it Right, Fallout, SMAS, IKIH, Wonderful Life..And of course WDTTW
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

You fear what you've become
My god what have you done
YOU DON'T BELONG HERE!

Awesome album.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Honestly I think ABIII and Blackbird are pretty much identical quality-wise. I used to give the edge to ABIII but I've recently rediscovered some love for BB. Both have a few songs I tend to skip over though. But yeah, it's not nearly as bad as a lot of people make out.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

:yeahthat I don't understand all the hate it gets
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Yeah, honestly it's about equal to the Blackbird CD, and the only reason I like ABIII less than Blackbird is because of the Blackbird song itself. Both of them overall are definitely better than ODR though, in my opinion. As of right now I'd say Fortress is probably their best CD.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

I still love AB III. I think the thing that might have made it the "least best" is it was too formulaic/predictable. But that being said, it was still awesome in its own way, because how could it not be? I still listen to it a lot because the songs overall seem more accessible (?). I guess that's where going a little more commercial helped out.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

There are maybe 5/6 songs that I could call formulaic, but that doesn't mean they are bad? I really don't understand why it's the least favorite of so many. My 'skip-list' of BB is much larger than ABIII's, because I like more songs and like them better than most of the BB songs (Blackbird is the most obvious exception of course, maybe together with Ties). I like the darker and more dynamic vibe of ABIII and think there are much more formulaic (to me; boring) songs on BB. But tastes differ... :)

Suvi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Suvi »

What a wonderful thread :)

For me AB III is maybe their best album. Great lyrics. Great feeling. Not so many catchy songs like in their other albums but overall quality and atmosphere make it still a great album.

Fortress is second best for me. Blackbird comes third and then ODR. All in all their all albums are great but Blackbird and ODR are the most uneven or varying in quality imo and have more songs that I almost always skip.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I seriously raped this album numerous times after it had come out. It had been my favourite record by AB for a couple of months but than I reminded myself of Blackbird. It really did not stand the test of time. I wonder if the same thing will happen with Fortress.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

alterbridgefan2099
Brand New Start

Post by alterbridgefan2099 »

Each album has a special place in my heart, that cover different emotions for me. All give me different feels, and help with different issues at a given time. Each have unique feel, and aftertaste.

I L.O.V.E. THEM ALL.

But ABIII and ODR are probably my two most favorites. They just are perfect. But I have no problems with BB, or Fortress. Thank you for making this, it's truly a remarkable and incredible album. With so many of my favorite songs. I'm glad other people agree even somewhat.

Also why do people like ODR mostly least? Its just as perfect as the rest. Its AB there is no favorites etc. Its all perfect.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Words, AHIG, LMGO. WL, slip, and sometimes ghosts are the only songs I even listen to off that album

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I'm someone who generally listens to music through an album. If I want to listen to something, I listen to the whole album. Obviously there are exceptions to that and I'll listen to songs on their own at times, but most of the time I listen to the whole thing. AB III for me is a better album to listen to all the way through than Blackbird. I always thought up until probably a couple of months ago that their albums just keep getting better and better, so I thought BB was better than One Day Remains and AB III better than both. Now I tend to think ODR is better than BB, AB II better than both, and Fortress better than all of them.

AB III as a whole seems to get a lot of flack and I don't get it personally. I played the hell out of it when it came out and I still love listening to it now. I don't usually have the overwhelming urge to listen to it, but I don't even have that with my favourite albums of all time, so I don't use that to gauge whether I still like an album or not. At the end of the day though it's different strokes for different folks.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

alterbridgefan2099 wrote:Each album has a special place in my heart, that cover different emotions for me. All give me different feels, and help with different issues at a given time. Each have unique feel, and aftertaste.

I L.O.V.E. THEM ALL.

But ABIII and ODR are probably my two most favorites. They just are perfect. But I have no problems with BB, or Fortress. Thank you for making this, it's truly a remarkable and incredible album. With so many of my favorite songs. I'm glad other people agree even somewhat.

Also why do people like ODR mostly least? Its just as perfect as the rest. Its AB there is no favorites etc. Its all perfect.
I like ODR least simply because I like the heavier direction that AB has taken from Blackbird onward, and I like the dynamic that comes with the combination of the writing styles and guitar playing of both Mark & Myles, which wasn't present on ODR. ODR is still one of my favorite albums of all time, but I just happen to like the rest of their albums even more.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

alterbridgefan2099 wrote:Also why do people like ODR mostly least? Its just as perfect as the rest. Its AB there is no favorites etc. Its all perfect.
For me, personally, ODR is my least fave simply because it's not as heavy instrumentally as the 3 that followed it. But I think it's a great album because of Myles' voice on that record. I really wish he could/would sing in that register in more AB songs.