The "AB III" Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: The "AB III" Appreciation Thread

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:So this thread is kinda like being drunk? You can say weird shit in a moment of spontaneity and get away with it?
Well I guess if you can get drunk off of Alter Bridge's music just by listening to it, then yes.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote:So this thread is kinda like being drunk? You can say weird shit in a moment of spontaneity and get away with it?
Frustratingly, you're continuing to miss the point, Timo. This is the AB3 appreciation thread. Let Myles Ahead and riemslag1 appreciate it how they like. You're essentially saying to these folks... "It's great that you like AB3 but maybe you like it a bit too much. Stop that. You're weird." - There are gonna be differences of opinion on forums but don't you think this particular instance is a waste of time. They like AB3 a lot. You like it less. Why must there be butting heads over that :/

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

You're the one that's missing my point. If they'd said the same thing about Blackbird, which is (one of) my favourite album(s) of all time I would've reacted exactly the same way. I never told them to stop liking the album less or that they're weird for liking it so much.

And my last post was a joke. If you read the last 11 pages you'll notice that I'm completely aware what kind of thread this is. There's just a big difference between "this album influenced me so much" and "imo, this is the most influential album ever". Even in a thread like this, I think stuff like that shouldn't be ignored.

Anyway, I shouldn't have used the words "ridiculous fanboying". I apologize for that.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

No need to apologize, you're entitled to whatever you think of a comment of mine. But please note i did not mention Ab3 to be the most underappreciated rockalbum, but one of the most underappreciated albums, so among others. When i read your comments you missed that detail. Should we really delete the word underappreciated from the vocabulary beceause it's always just a personal opinion? No problem if you feel different about this, just please do not blow this out of proportion.

.Myles Ahead.
Brand New Start

Post by .Myles Ahead. »

Timotheus wrote:I absolutely appreciate the fact that you like AB III better than any album released in the last 20 years. I won't take that away from you, and I respect that opinion, but saying it's the most underappreciated rock album ever is a bit extreme.

Out of 6 decades of rock albums that changed music history forever, but that sadly didn't get the attention they deserved from the masses, you choose AB III just because you like it a lot?

Saying something is underappreciated isn't objective. You're basically saying: "Everybody in the world should like something because I like it".
Well, to be fair he did say ONE OF THE...

Anyway, ABIII only appears to be regarded as a lesser album by the fanbase, from what I gather it seems it went down a treat with a lot of the press at the time, but I might be wrong.

In my opinion, the most underappreciated rock album ever is Pearl Jam's Ten (okay, just kidding).

.Myles Ahead.
Brand New Start

Post by .Myles Ahead. »

Also, quite frankly, Alter Bridge are the only modern rock band with a mainstream recognition that deserve any praise. I would rank ABIII and Fortress up there with my favourite Rush, Yes, Springsteen, Beatles and even UFO, Styx or Aerosmith albums.

They are for me the only modern rock band (as in, formed post-2000) that deserve future classic rock status. ABIII is just a phenomenal rock album, alongside Fortress, and I would say it is underrated as looking at the charts globally, they should be the ones selling out arenas, topping charts, creating a massive buzz, not Rihanna, not Coldplay, not One Direction.

Looking at the modern state of music, where are the best major rock bands? Under the radar. The eighties had Guns n Roses, a band everyone knew. This generation, what major hard rock band is currently a household name that isn't a product of the 20th century?

ABIII really is, from my perspective, one of the most underpraised great rock albums of all time, alongside Blackbird and quite a few non-AB rock releases.

But, as with any band/album, this is up for debate. The fact ABIII doesn't seem to resnate with as many fans as BB or ODR possibly indicates that my view is in the minority, and verging on the hyperbolic.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

.Myles Ahead. wrote:Also, quite frankly, Alter Bridge are the only modern rock band with a mainstream recognition that deserve any praise.
I'm sorry you feel this way. I personally am glad that I live in this century, because (rock) music is so incredibly good out there right now. I think there are tons of modern rock bands that deserve praise.

But yea, I won't go in a discusion with you about the rest.
Should we really delete the word underappreciated from the vocabulary because it's always just a personal opinion?
I agree it's an annoying word, especially when people have different opinions about the word.

Anyway, back to positivism:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/wxxSI5ssgKs[/youtube]

:cheers
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

.Myles Ahead.
Brand New Start

Post by .Myles Ahead. »

Timotheus wrote:
.Myles Ahead. wrote:Also, quite frankly, Alter Bridge are the only modern rock band with a mainstream recognition that deserve any praise.
I'm sorry you feel this way. I personally am glad that I live in this century, because (rock) music is so incredibly good out there right now. I think there are tons of modern rock bands that deserve praise.

But yea, I won't go in a discusion with you about the rest.
Should we really delete the word underappreciated from the vocabulary because it's always just a personal opinion?
I agree it's an annoying word, especially when people have different opinions about the word.

Anyway, back to positivism:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/wxxSI5ssgKs[/youtube]

:cheers
I am not jaded by modern rock, its just been ages since a band blew me away that isn't old school. In a different thread i would be open to suggestions, my mind is never closed.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Hey Dan, off topic but...what's going on with that Kurt Vonnegut quote? It's like he's saying: the next time you're happy recognize that you're happy. Seems kind of redundant, is there some deeper meaning or context I'm missing?

vChris
White Knuckled

Post by vChris »

That acoustic version of All hope is gone is incredible!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Fish Tacos wrote:Hey Dan, off topic but...what's going on with that Kurt Vonnegut quote? It's like he's saying: the next time you're happy recognize that you're happy. Seems kind of redundant, is there some deeper meaning or context I'm missing?
Hey! Ahh, interesting question there. To be honest I'm not sure if there's much in the way of a deeper meaning or context. I think I've just always liked the sound of it - giving your own happiness some head-space. Like, speaking personally, I know how attentive I can be to my feelings and emotions when I'm going through a hard time and I'm feeling rather negative. And I think the quote just means that on the flip-side... when you're happy it's nice to have some awareness of that and realise how good that is.

I'm not an expert though as I've only read one or two of Vonnegut's books - so I could very well be butchering that quote/missing it's deeper meaning :lol

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Timotheus wrote:You're the one that's missing my point. If they'd said the same thing about Blackbird, which is (one of) my favourite album(s) of all time I would've reacted exactly the same way. I never told them to stop liking the album less or that they're weird for liking it so much.

And my last post was a joke. If you read the last 11 pages you'll notice that I'm completely aware what kind of thread this is. There's just a big difference between "this album influenced me so much" and "imo, this is the most influential album ever". Even in a thread like this, I think stuff like that shouldn't be ignored.

Anyway, I shouldn't have used the words "ridiculous fanboying". I apologize for that.
No worries, Timo. Forgive me if it came across like I was battling you :)

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I'm in the minority. Probably the only one. But. ABIII may be my favorite alter bridge album. It's a toss up between that and Fortress. With ODR being really close. And honestly, Blackbird being the throw away album.

Show me a Sign is my favorite AB song. I've been through some dark times in my life and I can't help but just ask God why. And I don't know what you'd call it, but that ringing beautiful first string hit on the guitar in the song, bummmm. I just feel that little spot like in my soul. I love playing this song loud.
The whole album kicks ass.
Isolation and Ghosts reminds me of when I got my first car in highschool and I'd drive around blasting those songs for all the kids to hear.
All hope is gone, make it right, still remains, all fantastic fillers.
Wonderful life and life must go on are beautiful.
Fallout, I know it hurts, show me a sign, and words are just badass along with the first three tracks.

Really solid moody album IMO

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I'd say AB III is my favorite AB album aswell. Everytime I listen to it I feel like the whole album tells a story about finding your way and getting out of a severe crisis. Lyrically AB III is therefore the strongest AB album imo. Furthermore it has the greatest opener in music history since Welcome To The Jungle. But I also gotta say that after Still Remains the songs get a little "meh". I'm not a big fan of I Know It Hurts and Wonderful Life. And Make It Right... I don't know. Sometimes I love it sometimes I instantly skip it. So the middle of the album has its weaker moments imo.

HappyHogJens
White Knuckled

Post by HappyHogJens »

AB III is the best album songwriting-wise.

The production is what killed the album.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

HappyHogJens wrote:
Wat?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Mr. Slash wrote:
HappyHogJens wrote:
Wat?
I tend to agree. It has a very bland, flat feeling. And it sounds like Flip traded his snare drum for a piece of canvas stretched over a deck chair.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I strongly disagree with saying ABIII is their strongest album song-writing wise. The album really does drag, many of the songs are similar tempos and structures, and do very little to pull me in. Although there's no denying there's some fantastic songs on it like the first four and Show Me a Sign. But I agree that the album is further killed by its production, I'm sure I would enjoy the album a lot more if it sounded better.

Wylde 1919
Bought The CDs

Post by Wylde 1919 »

Listened to AB III today, and I thought if Elvis could redo the production, it would sound huge. After hearing what he did with Tremonti and Fortress, but if memory recalls he didn't mix the album. Other than production I rank it as my second favorite AB album, with Fortress as my favorite.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Love the praise for AB III. I rank it behind Fortress and BB (just barely). But it's an amazing record. I count 9 songs that I just cherish on there. And the rest aren't bad. Just not up to the standard of the others.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23