Fortress is AB's best song

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Fortress is AB's best song

Post by BSC »

Just thought I'd make a quick thread for the great song that is Fortress, can't believe there's not a thread for it already!

I know a lot of people think Blackbird is their best song, but I never have. I think a few people just kind of jump of the love train for it, I think people say it's their best song, simply because everyone else thinks it's the best song, if that makes sense? I don't mean to discredit anyone's opinion of that song, but I just don't think it's their best song.

Fortress is brilliant. It's very subtle, it takes a while to grow on you, and then you realise just how great it is. It is what it is, I don't think it tries to be epic or outstanding, I think it's a very organic sounding song. I've never paid much attention to any of AB's lyrics before listening to this song, Myles captured the emotion and image of something precious crumbling before your eyes brilliantly, his vocal delivery is great too. The chorus is great, the bridge after the second chorus is also really good. Then the instrumental section hits you, those few minutes alone are the best thing AB have ever done. It really compliments the lyrics and the overall message and vibe of the song. I love when the vocals kick in, on top of Flip's groove.

The only slightly disappointing thing about the song is that Myles could have put a bit more emotion into the vocals, I think after Words he's a bit hesitant to incorporate these bit long notes, so he can play the songs live, but a really passionate high note at the end would have topped the song off brilliantly.

Apologies if this post is slightly incoherent, I just thought it was strange that there's not been a thread for this song, and wanted to make one quickly as I've got about a hundred others things to do.

Decay

Re: Fortress is AB's best song

Post by Decay »

While I respect your opinion and I do think this song is an opus of badassness and it's definitely there in AB's top 10 of all time, Blackbird is still a better song, imo and it still sounds so perfect to my ears.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

I know a lot of people think Blackbird is their best song, but I never have. I think a few people just kind of jump of the love train for it, I think people say it's their best song, simply because everyone else thinks it's the best song, if that makes sense? I don't mean to discredit anyone's opinion of that song, but I just don't think it's their best song.
Agree with all of this
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Also, I think another factor that impacts on the love for Blackbird, is simply because of the time that it released, and the type of music AB was making alongside Blackbird. BB was the first song fans could actually call 'epic' (although I disagree with the use of that word with most of AB's work), so therefore I think it instantly received more attention, and it was probably held to a higher regard than most of AB's other songs simply because of the track length before anyone had actually heard it. Now AB have pushed themselves considerably and songs like Blackbird are becoming a bit more frequent. Whereas back in 2007, the only real 'epic' song we had was Blackbird.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Man, r u mad? It's just your favourite.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Dolo, are you mad?
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Macca wrote:Dolo, are you mad?
No, I'm not. There aren't good and bad songs, there are just these that you like or dislike.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Dolo wrote:Man, r u mad? It's just your favourite.
What's the difference between me saying it's my favourite, and me saying it's their best song? Both statements are just statements of my opinion, feel free to disagree with me. While on the face of it me saying it's their best song might appear to be more of an objective statement, I knew a statement like that would get more people to view the thread, and hopefully have a better discussion.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

You don't like BB? Fine, others do. Same thing goes about Fortress.

And yes, it's all about what we like/dislike.

BB, to me, is their best song, not my favorite AB song, but I consider it as the best thing they've ever done. Fortress is in that league as well.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Here's the difference: Fortress is a minute or two too long, and even though Blackbird is longer, it certainly doesnt feel that way. At least in my opinion, Fortress dragged on longer than it should have and it kind of overstayed its welcome. While its still a great song, I prefer Blackbird by a mile
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think the subject matter of Blackbird makes it more personal. That's why it's still my favourite Alter Bridge song (all time favourite song actually).

But I agree that Fortress is a hell of a song, and I think it comes really close to Blackbird. It's my second favourite AB song atm actually.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Decay wrote:
BB, to me, is their best song, not my favorite AB song, but I consider it as the best thing they've ever done. Fortress is in that league as well.
You're contradicting yourself right here but let's leave it like that.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Decay

Post by Decay »

Dolo wrote:
Decay wrote:
You're contradicting yourself right here but let's leave it like that.
What?

I agreed on what you said, that there aren't good or bad songs, just what we like or dislike.

BB is AB's best song, imo and Fortress comes really close. I love both BB and Fortress, I just prefer BB. Get it?
Last edited by Decay on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

So it comes really close, but you prefer BB by a mile? :P
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Shit, AHart's post was on my mind. :lol I was meant to write 'a little bit' and what I meant was Fortress is in that league with BB, but BB is their best song, for me anyways.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I do love Fortress. It's not a song that appears to be trying too hard. It makes do without flashy riffing, spaces itself out and it's very much an album track. I love that. Any song that explores Myles' lower register is good shit with me as well. He has a fantastic lower range.

It didn't grab when I heard it at the listening party or when I listened to the album the first few times but I listen to it almost every day now. At least as much as Bleed It Dry, Cry of Achilles, Lover & Waters Rising. Those are my other favourites from the album

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Decay, I'm honored you're thinking about me :lol For me, its not close. Blackbird is better than Fortress by a mile. And Blackbird's not even my favorite song
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

IMO, Blackbird is better when it comes to subject matter, but Fortress is better when it comes to the instrumental side of things. But both songs' subject matter are something that I can relate to. I also agree that Fortress could have used just a bit more emotional vocals and even a longer length and other things, But like everyone else has said before, "The best song" may be totally different amongst people because of their experiences in life or just looking at it from the musical side of things. Calm The Fire could be somebody elses Blackbird or Fortress because they know racism too well and it connects with them on a personal level. It's all subjective.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Both BB and Fortress are greatest AB's epics, they might not be my all time favorites, but they're really an epic work of art.

Yeah, it's all subjective.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I think Fortress is a great song. The chorus melody is my favorite off the record. It was a perfect way to end the record. But, at least for me, BB is a better song in every way.