Fortress... A Disappointment?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
RoCkBiTeR
Brand New Start

Fortress... A Disappointment?

Post by RoCkBiTeR »

I may be the only one but since everybody seems to be singing from the same hymn sheet and praising Fortress to the heavens, I thought there was room for a thread here for fans to vent any frustrations or disappointments regarding the new album. I can't be the only one who feels underwhelmed after a long 3 year wait. Maybe there's 2 of us!

First of all, hi guys, I'm new to the forum but have been a diehard fan ever since I made the 400 mile trek down to London from Glasgow to see AB play their first UK gig at the ULU in 2004. I'm also a big Creed fan despite it not being 'cool' to admit these days.

After numerous listens to the new album though, it pains me to say that I feel like I'm the only one who sees that the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes - that Fortress is a huge let down despite everyone seemingly raving about it.

I thought that Addicted to Pain was completely overrated but it didn't worry me too much because I was expecting my favourite band to have 11 other songs that would blow it out of the water. It didn't happen though.

With Fortress, I just feel that they've compromised melody for metal.

The only decent songs for me are All Ends Well and Cry of Achilles. I'm tempted to add Waters Rising but only because it's good to hear Tremonti on lead again. Every other song, however, has bland choruses after such promising intros & verses. Where's the classic soaring, melodic anthems?

Imo All Ends Well is the only song that resembles the Alter Bridge that I have come to know and love from their previous 3 albums.

Lover is OK but is essentially a track off of TM4's Second Skin album.

Calm the Fire? Thom Yorke kicking off a so-so Muse tribute.

The Uninvited sounds like it was written after the guys watched Ghostbusters on the tour bus.

Farther Than The Sun has a chorus that wouldn't be out of place on a Tim McGraw album.

I'm truly hoping that Fortress is a grower and I get to eat my words but I just can't shift my overwhelming disappointment at the moment. Sorry.

Tremonti is the man and my only hope for the next album would be that he gets to pen the majority of it himself and doesn't compromise too much - staying true to penning instant anthems rather than trying to overcomplicate things. Everyone's a critic though I guess.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Fortress... A Disappointment?

Post by Dan Dando »

After numerous listens to the new album though, it pains me to say that I feel like I'm the only one who sees that the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes - that Fortress is a huge let down despite everyone seemingly raving about it.
I love the album... so... I'm just here to say - WELCOME TO THE BOARDS :cheers

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

HAHAHAHAHAH FARTHER THAN THE SUN SOUNDS LIKE IT COMES FROM A TIM MCGRAW ALBUM

quote of the year right there. Seriously. Coming from the south around a place where I hear that music everyday, I respectfully say you are completely wrong.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Hey man, to each his/her own.

I couldn't help but notice though. Cry of Achilles: decent?

cointurtlemoose
Loyal Follower

Post by cointurtlemoose »

I don't agree.

But welcome :)

There are others that don't like it, you're not the only one.

Generally, do you like things labeled "progressive"? Cause it seems like that's your main beef, describing how all these songs sound like they should be in different genres. I think they're all predominately 'rock' sounding, but I see what you're saying.

jripper420

Post by jripper420 »

Hey Buddy. When I first listened I felt like a bit of a disappointment. I played it non stop all day now and I have to agree with what alot of people say in that it is a grower. Now, It is an unbelievably good album with the exceptions being Lover and All ends well. Not a real huge fan of these. They spent 85% of the album bringing it these two songs just feel out of place on the album. That being said its some of the best instrumental and vocal performances the guys have put together. I'd give it 8.5 out of 10. Its impossible to say one album is better than the other because their all great !!! Way to go AB !!

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AB

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

You didn't like Calm the Fire? Sounded like it would be right down your alley. And say whatever you want about The Uninvited, because upon first listen I didn't like it too much either, but it shot up my boards when I figured out what it was about. It would be the perfect album if they took out Cry a River and added one more ballady song.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Welcome to the board, Rockbiter :cheers there are a few other fans that are slightly dissapointed with this album. I'm not one of them, so I won't bother posting here after this post, but definitely don't give up on the album yet ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm glad there's a negative thread. Even when I like something, my favorite things to read are always criticisms.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Hell yeah, to each its own. All Ends Well is actually my least favourite....... because it resembles 'old' AB too much for me, which is right opposite to what you've said. I love when band wants to do something new, unlike what has been done by then in the past. Cry of Achilles (flamenco vibe), Bleed it Dry (solo played over calm backing track) and Fortress (couple of solos played back-to-back) - that's what is so special for me.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

Welcome to the board!

I'm with Nick here; in a sea of overwhelmingly positive reviews, it's nice to hear some different opinions every now and again. I personally think that the album is incredible, but I have much respect for everyone's opinions and I think it's great that you feel comfortable posting your opinion here. I hope to see you stick around. =)

RoCkBiTeR
Brand New Start

Post by RoCkBiTeR »

AB23 wrote:HAHAHAHAHAH FARTHER THAN THE SUN SOUNDS LIKE IT COMES FROM A TIM MCGRAW ALBUM

quote of the year right there. Seriously. Coming from the south around a place where I hear that music everyday, I respectfully say you are completely wrong.
Lol I live in Southern Virginia and my wife and I think otherwise. Respectfully.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Honestly I wasn't wanting my first post to be a bit of a downer but hey, Fortress just wasn't what I was expecting. Like I say though, I'm hoping it's a grower. I do like progressive though (Fair To Midland are an amazing band) - and I'm happy for AB to go down that road - it's just that I'm disappointed with the songs. I was hoping for better melodies. I'm all for bands trying new things though. Don't want to go stale!

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

I'm listening to it for the second time. I can't say whether I do or don't like it yet. It's just different. I can see what you mean about the melodies, but It's good to hear them break away and evolve as musicians though. I've got a ton of respect for these guys.

With that said, Addicted to Pain took awhile to grow on me and now I love it. The rest of the album will grow on me as well. It took me awhile to warm up to all of their albums, but they are definitely my favorite band right now. Give it a few listens and pick up on all the things you might not have heard the first few times. Maybe you'll find some things to really enjoy.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

RoCkBiTeR wrote:
AB23 wrote:HAHAHAHAHAH FARTHER THAN THE SUN SOUNDS LIKE IT COMES FROM A TIM MCGRAW ALBUM

Lol I live in Southern Virginia and my wife and I think otherwise. Respectfully.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Honestly I wasn't wanting my first post to be a bit of a downer but hey, Fortress just wasn't what I was expecting. Like I say though, I'm hoping it's a grower. I do like progressive though (Fair To Midland are an amazing band) - and I'm happy for AB to go down that road - it's just that I'm disappointed with the songs. I was hoping for better melodies. I'm all for bands trying new things though. Don't want to go stale!
Arkansas.............

zazisaspaz
On The Rail

Post by zazisaspaz »

^ not so much the song itself, but yeah the title reminded me of "A Place in the Sun"

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I was a little hopefully hesitant on my first listen this morning, but I will say much of it has grown on me through the second and third listens. Not that I disliked any of it on first listen, but it's getting better and better.

Truth be told, I had to let Blackbird grow on me too and now I see it as one of the top albums ever made, by anyone. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility. I hope it grows on you too :) welcome to the board!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

This thing is seriously growing on me right now. Listening to it in 320kbps. I'm not sure how I feel about the guitar tones though, I'm used to that highly polished compressed tone! I wish the solo in peace is broken was more audible too. Every song is so different, this is a serious musical journey shaking my brain.

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

Creed fan = Hate Fortress + but Love All Ends Well
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Will wrote:Creed fan = Hate Fortress + but Love All Ends Well
Play nice now :lol