Fortress song meanings

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Fortress song meanings

Post by AB23 »

Gotta make a thread for this. Some people think they may not like a song, but once they figure out the meaning it hits home. This is why alot of us love AB. They make songs that hit us hard and emotionally. I'd like to hear your opinions about what each song is about... so shoot.
Last edited by abw1987 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The grammar in the title... I had to.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Fortress Song's Meaning

Post by gbruin »

Fortress: They've always said it's about the collapse of institutions. To me, that resonates the most when I think of it on a micro scale, like when a relationship you have worked on for so long and propped up over and over and tried so hard to salvage finally falls apart beyond repair.

"But the fortress caving in falls down on me tonight".
Last edited by gbruin on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I think once people listen to the title track they will understand the cover art finally.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I feel like a song by song summary would help people like the album even moreso than they do now

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Fortress song meanings

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

1. Cry of Achilles - The "Him" has started to have doubts about his "Her". He is starting to realise the truth. That he has been living a lie and than nothing about his relationship is real. In one word: He is going straight to his downfall.
2. Addicted to Pain- this one does not need any more meaning.
3. Bleed It Dry - No idea. Maybe he is reproaching to himself about him being blind and not seeing the truth?
4. Lover - About the other guy and what he has done to "Him"
5. The Uninvited - "Her" being not welcome anymore is the "Him" life. I don't know really how to express myself. Sorry.
6. Peace is Broken - Relationship is done. Love may not be done but peace is for sure.
7. Calm The Fire - Denial of the facts and Him not understanding how things could last so long without being known. Ignorance, filth, shame, rage.
8. Water Risings- Defeat of the rivals, victory and hope.
9. Cry A River - This one is probably the most suggestive one. She has been using the "Him" for convenience (money etc) and now that he has finally found out the truth is announcing her that he wont give her what she wants. Not anymore. Its over. She may cry a river for him because he doesn't care, just the way she didnt care all the time.
10. Farther than The Sun - Hope that one day he will find the place were he belongs and the person with who he belongs. The Real One with whom he doesn't need to compromise, with whom he can feel free to fly.
11. All Ends Well - HOPE is sending him a message that in time all Ends Well. Everything will be OK for him. (Myles surprised me with this song a lot)
12. Fortress - He realise the truth, he sees and accept the truth, that the relationship is over and there is no turning back (his secure place has crumbled), he suffers, can't let go and he is still coping with the idea of what has happened to him.

If I got them all wrong, feel free to throw tomatoes.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Interesting interpretations! A couple suggestions:

3. Bleed it Dry - I'm pretty sure this is a bunch of hippy nonsense about how humans are ravaging the Earth's resources. If so, it's my least favorite AB song in terms of lyrics.

8. Waters Rising - Mark has said he wrote this about a fictional apocalypse.
LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:If I got them all wrong, feel free to throw tomatoes.
:lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Dunno about everyone else, but I'm treating this whole album as a concept around the last seconds of Achilles' life :D
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

^ :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

abw1987 wrote:Interesting interpretations! A couple suggestions:

3. Bleed it Dry - I'm pretty sure this is a bunch of hippy nonsense about how humans are ravaging the Earth's resources. If so, it's my least favorite AB song in terms of lyrics.

8. Waters Rising - Mark has said he wrote this about a fictional apocalypse.
LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:If I got them all wrong, feel free to throw tomatoes.
:lol
Thank you. Well... Mark can say whatever he wants. The album as per se is too suggestive to have other meanings than the lyrics are telling so. You see... this album is special. AB has never done something similar. All songs are covering a story. No matter if you try to change the order of the songs on the album, the meanings are the direction is the same. Leading to one thing. Someone has said a while ago that there are a lot of things that we do not know about. He was right. In fact... there are no hidden meanings. The lyrics are very clear and very suggestive. In my opinion, if has something to do with an apocalypse, surely its about the apocalypse of a relationship. Nothing fictional here. Everything we listen is what we get.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

edit. wrong place, wrong time.

This is about an incredible piece of music. My bad.
Last edited by gbruin on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/mus ... -66631619/

In this interview Myles goes into the meaning of some songs. You've got to translate it though.

The Uninvited is about terrorism or people who go to another country to hurt people.

I also read somewhere that Myles wrote Calm The Fire after being very upset after some really racist messages on a racist forum.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Timotheus wrote:http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/mus ... -66631619/

In this interview Myles goes into the meaning of some songs. You've got to translate it though.

The Uninvited is about terrorism or people who go to another country to hurt people.

I also read somewhere that Myles wrote Calm The Fire after being very upset after some really racist messages on a racist forum.
Hence the "color-blind" reference.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

gbruin wrote:3. abw, don't be in the <2% of educated people who ignore this.
WHO YOU CALLIN' ABW?

I assume you are disagreeing with me, in which case I think we should discuss it elsewhere.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

abw1987 wrote:
gbruin wrote:3. abw, don't be in the <2% of educated people who ignore this.
WHO YOU CALLIN' ABW?

I assume you are disagreeing with me, in which case I think we should discuss it elsewhere.
Maybe it's just my stance on things skewing my perspective, but I thought it was incredibly clear that Bleed it Dry is about not just the pillaging of the earth's resources, but the overall state of the world in terms of the economy, i.e. the rich bleeding the economy dry and leaving nothing for the middle class. Regardless of what you believe about why it's happened or whether or not it's right (which doesn't need to be discussed here), it's a pretty cut-and-dry fact that the wealthy have more and the "99%" have less right now than has been true in recent decades. Economically and environmentally, I think the song speaks to the state of those who have wanting more, and bleeding the world dry until there's nothing left for future generations.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Regardless, I think it's a poor choice of lyrical subject. Writing about environmental politics or class warfare is only going to polarize people.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
Timotheus wrote:http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/mus ... -66631619/

Hence the "color-blind" reference.
"Calm the Fire" has some of the best lyrics on the album.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I take a more positive approach to "Cry of Achilles." Sometimes life is going great. You're in a good place, you're happy, you're with the love of your life, whatever the case may be, and then suddenly, BOOM, the shit hits the fan. You're diagnosed with a terminal disease, your love breaks your heart, you lose your job, or someone close to you passes away, and out of nowhere, life is a nightmare. You've found your weakness -- your Achilles' heel, if you will. But as the chorus tells us, hope is not gone: "Something beautiful is still alive." Like "One Day Remains" and countless other AB songs, "Cry of Achilles" is about holding onto the hope that there's still something in this life for you, no matter how hard things get, even if it takes a slightly darker and more unique approach to the subject.

Very touching and meaningful to me.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

abw1987 wrote:Regardless, I think it's a poor choice of lyrical subject. Writing about environmental politics or class warfare is only going to polarize people.
As made clear by Wayward One, I'm pretty sure the band is against classism and wants justice for everyone in the world no matter their background.

Scotty
Brand New Start

Post by Scotty »

I agree Bleed It Dry is a bit odd to listen to lyrically. But I do like it and it's catching on with me. I also agree that it's not neccessarily about the earth per se but on a broader level, the world economy. I don't think it even regards class, abw, I don't see the lyrics as regarding the rich and poor, but as criticising the unsustainable structure that drives capitalism.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

Scotty wrote:I agree Bleed It Dry is a bit odd to listen to lyrically. But I do like it and it's catching on with me. I also agree that it's not neccessarily about the earth per se but on a broader level, the world economy. I don't think it even regards class, abw, I don't see the lyrics as regarding the rich and poor, but as criticising the unsustainable structure that drives capitalism.
Either that or just a greedy, self-centered, self-absorbed person.