Double Bass

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
YTKallDAY
Brand New Start

Double Bass

Post by YTKallDAY »

From what i've heard, so far it isn't more than that studio video and addicted to pain, Flip is using a lot more double bass on this album than ever before. anyone know why? i really dig it, it's just almost a whole new different drumming style.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Re: Double Bass

Post by JaredWard »

Garrett Whitlock. <---

Hopefully the live click follows.

YTKallDAY
Brand New Start

Post by YTKallDAY »

He didn't do the recording, did he? Or were Mark and Scott just thinking it was too awesome to not do?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

YTKallDAY wrote:He didn't do the recording, did he? Or were Mark and Scott just thinking it was too awesome to not do?
Garrett didn't do the recording for Fortress, but he did for All I Was. Its very possible Flip heard how awesome the double bass was on the solo album, and decided to incorporate it more into his style.

But I agree with you, sounds fucking awesome.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I don't see why people like to think Garrett Whitlock is responsible for Flip using double bass? He played drums on All I Was which had a bit of double bass. That's the only connection?! Flip is playing to heavier riffs then he previously has. Addicted to Pain is heavier and more up-tempo than most of AB's previous work, it makes sense that there's some double bass on it. Flip has used double bass in Alter Bridge songs before, long before Garrett drummed for Tremonti :lol. It's not like Garrett is some double bass pioneer who has revolutionized people's approaches to drumming. Some people make it sound like Flip was compelled to use double bass simply because Garrett played double bass on All I Was.

Rant over. While I'm glad Flip has changed up his style, his use of double bass has worried me slightly. I just hope it's not overdone on the album. I dislike drummers that use double bass as their first and only resort to make a song heavy. I hope there's some decent double bass work. I just feel that double bass sometimes makes a song far too predictable.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

If Flip was influenced by Garret, I hope he was influenced by his tight live performance too.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

BSC wrote:I don't see why people like to think Garrett Whitlock is responsible for Flip using double bass? He played drums on All I Was which had a bit of double bass. That's the only connection?! Flip is playing to heavier riffs then he previously has. Addicted to Pain is heavier and more up-tempo than most of AB's previous work, it makes sense that there's some double bass on it. Flip has used double bass in Alter Bridge songs before, long before Garrett drummed for Tremonti :lol. It's not like Garrett is some double bass pioneer who has revolutionized people's approaches to drumming. Some people make it sound like Flip was compelled to use double bass simply because Garrett played double bass on All I Was.
:yeahthat

Garrett is good, but don't see why people keep saying that about Flip's drumming on ATP thus far and likely Fortress as a whole. I haven't listened to the Projected album in a while, but I think Flip kicked it up a notch on that album and may have even used a double bass. I don't see why this is such a big deal.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I said that it was "very possible," nothing's definite until you actually hear from him as to why he's playing more double bass.

YTKallDAY
Brand New Start

Post by YTKallDAY »

Thanks for the input, fellas. I don't think the reason he started playing db more matters too much...I mean whether he heard what Garrett did or it's something he's been working on, it doesn't matter as long as it sounds good. Which it does. I was just simply curious to hear thoughts !

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

I remember an interview a while back that mentioned how garrett and flip were working together on stuff.... I don't remember the exact wording but it was said that garrett was teaching flip double bass, and flip was teaching garett something too but I can't remember what it was.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I would think it may be more of a Projected influence than Garrett. Granted I've only listen to projected once but aren't they on the heavy side

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I see no one caught the rest of my post.. :shifty

WkdSelina
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WkdSelina »

I see ;)

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

:)

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

Flip has been using double bass pedals for ages...
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

axlar wrote:Flip has been using double bass pedals for ages...
This is true, but he's finally starting to incorporate it into more songs as opposed to every now and again.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

True
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Altered
Bought The CDs

Post by Altered »

I love the idea of Scott bringing in more double bass. Used in the right spots it can add a lot to the music. On the topic of Double Bass I swore I read one time that Scott said he wasn't very good at it. Seems it something he has been working on and I like it!

Decay

Post by Decay »

Timotheus wrote:If Flip was influenced by Garret, I hope he was influenced by his tight live performance too.
This.

I don't wanna see them speeding up the songs live.

Anyways, I think the idea of double bass is cool. I got nothing against it as long it's complementing the music.

Mel-C
Bought The CDs

Post by Mel-C »

JaredWard wrote:Garrett Whitlock. <---

Hopefully the live click follows.

Thought the same meself! ;)
Mel-C =)