Q&A with Brian Marshall

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
TABN Admin
Site Admin

Q&A with Brian Marshall

Post by TABN Admin »

Brian Marshall was kind enough to spend some of his time answering a few of our questions about the new album and anything else he wanted to share with us. Check out what he had to say below!
TheAlterBridgeNation.com: Congrats on finishing the recording of the new album. We find it quite amazing that you guys managed to get it all recorded between all the busy schedules: Mark's solo project, Myles with Slash, Flip with Projected and Walking with Giants, and of course yourself with moving back to Florida and getting settled with your girlfriend and your newborn son Cooper! From all your fans, congrats on Cooper again; we all enjoy the wealth of updates and images you are sharing! Thank you for doing this interview with us.
Brian Marshall: No problem glad to be a part of it.

Let's talk about the new album, Fortress, first; ABIII was a pretty dark record. How would you describe this new album musically & lyrically?
The album, Fortress, is definitely more up-tempo and it was musically challenging for all of us. We pushed ourselves but didn't over think or care for sticking to any songwriting guidelines. We'd be writing a song and another part would come up and we'd just say let's give it a shot! Next thing you know we have a few 6min songs.
Lyrically the album touches on topics such as loyalty, betrayal, greed and intolerance.
Fortress in this sense symbolizes something that was once steadfast and invincible crumbling around you. The cover makes great sense when you think of it this way.

What are your favorite new songs? Any songs with bass lines like "Still Remains", which is one of your favorites if I am not mistaken?
Thanks!
I'm particularly fond of "Cry of Achilles". I think I channeled Geddi Lee when writing the bass parts.

What was the biggest challenge in making this record?
Scheduling! Getting everyone to be on the same page at the same date was a nightmare but we all came through.

Any idea on how the setlist for the upcoming tour will take shape? Divided evenly over the four albums? Or maybe a longer set than before, as there are more songs to choose from?
Ummm... I can see us playing quite a bit of Fortress. With it being so fresh and downright fun to play. Of course we will divide amongst the other albums as well.

Do you have any information as to how the tour schedule will look like after this first European leg (October/November 2013)?
We are discussing future dates in South and North America.

If you don't mind, we also have some questions regarding your son Cooper. Having Cooper in your life now, has this influenced your music? Were you able to "do something" with it in regards to the new album?
:))) love that boy.
As any parent knows having a baby is amazing and changes your life. He has influenced me in so many ways but most importantly in simply living healthier and living with clarity. Everything is better with that.

Would you want Cooper to become a successful rock star as well, or would you be against that? Or would you prefer him to excel as an athlete, scientist,..?
He could dig ditches for a living as long as he was the best ditch digger he could be.

Back to the new album - we have learned that Mark is singing lead vocals on "Waters Rising". Are YOU doing the backing vocals for this song?! Any aspirations to ever sing lead vocals in a song? A solo/collaboration project perhaps?
Umm no. They won't give me a microphone. I've tried for years. If anything I have better jokes than Myles, that's worth something.
*I have an interest in country music lately, who knows what the future holds?

As we are 9 years into the Alter Bridge era and approaching the band's 10 year anniversary, what have been your favorite (or least favorite) moments in the last decade?
Least favorite is all of our struggles with past management, business management, record labels ...ad infinitum.
My Most favorite moment is carrying on despite these things..

I know It's not really a moment, it's a decade of moments that lead us here. I'm proud to say we're still around and I'm sure we'll continue to write together as long as time permits.

Before we close out this interview, would you like to answer any question you wished we would have asked you? Or do you have anything you want to share with your fans on thealterbridgenation.com/@theABnation?
Thank you all for your support throughout the years! Both Creed and Alter Bridge fans are the most passionate fans in the world. I speak for all of us when I say that we are ecstatic about the next year touring and seeing all of you at the shows.
Thanks for the interview! Peace out:)

We would like to thank Brian once again for sharing his time with us. We certainly appreciate it! We all can't wait to see you guys out on the road again!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Q&A with Brian Marshall

Post by gbruin »

Awesome!! The TABN mods are killing it lately!! And big thanks to Brian for taking the time!

I like the chanelling Geddy Lee comment. Guess Brian will be playing bass and synth at the same time? lol
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Two highlights:
-Cry of Achilles - Geddy Lee
-"If anything I have better jokes than Myles, that's worth something." :lol

Brian's such a cool dude! :cheers
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

TomK
Bought The CDs

Post by TomK »

Thanks for doing this - a really great read. Brian is such a legend haha :)

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

Brian is an awesome bass player and an awesome person, when Creed was in Chile last year I was on the Airport to see the guys and try to tell them that we wanted Alter Bridge here, I had the opportunity to talk to him about Alter Bridge and the new record, he was so cool with me that he threw all the stuff of his backpack just to find a pick with the ABIII logo and gave it to me, you can't imagine how happy I was :lol Even mark gave me a creed's pick

I hope they come in January-February :cheers

air-deadman
Brand New Start

Post by air-deadman »

Nice Interview, gotta love Brian!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Disappointed with this interview.
Too much ass kissing, and some PR answers from Brian.
Generally, he and Flip answer candidly to interviews, and we learn a lot from their answers. Not this time.

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

chtimixeur wrote:Disappointed with this interview.
Too much ass kissing, and some PR answers from Brian.
Generally, he and Flip answer candidly to interviews, and we learn a lot from their answers. Not this time.
In all fairness, Brian isn't known to be a major interviewee, so he probably didn't want to step on any toes. That kind of thing is usually left for Myles and Mark.
:yeahthat

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

BennyWhatever wrote:Brian isn't known to be a major interviewee
That's why IMHO his interviews are usually great to read. He's not used to repeating the same prefabricated sentences, and you generally learn a lot from him.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

chtimixeur wrote:
BennyWhatever wrote:Brian isn't known to be a major interviewee
That's why IMHO his interviews are usually great to read. He's not used to repeating the same prefabricated sentences, and you generally learn a lot from him.
I agree with what your saying.

This was a very good interview and I congratulate ABNation.com for getting the opportunity but I feel like the interviewer played it safe. I would have loved to know more about the process of making AB4 and if any conflicts occurred with Myles and scheduling. Some of the other songs like Lover and The Uninvited questions would have been cool. He brought up country music... that could mean something (or nothing). Again good interview but you got to interview the Bassist of AB. Could have gone a little bit more in depth and hell...Maybe even ask a few Creed Questions

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Good job on the interview! Always nice hearing from Brian.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Good interview. Well, maybe Brian will finally sing on the 5th album. I love Geddy Lee's bassline amongst other things, so that is a good sign to hear something along those lines in Cry of Achilles.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Glad to hear most of you enjoyed it! Obviously it was not intended to be a hard-hitting attempt to dig up all the dirt on Alter Bridge. (For that, we have Oprah Winfrey.) Just a friendly Q&A conducted over email :)

Thanks again to Brian for taking the time.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Awesome job guys! That was a good read. You can tell Cooper's been a big influence on his life.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Hahaha people are even critiquing interviews. Unbelievable haha.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

abw1987 wrote:Glad to hear most of you enjoyed it! Obviously it was not intended to be a hard-hitting attempt to dig up all the dirt on Alter Bridge. (For that, we have Oprah Winfrey.) Just a friendly Q&A conducted over email :)
No one asked for a hard hitting interview.
Just deeper questions, that's all (after all, we're all fans on TABN, and we pretty much all know what's up with AB these days).

Anyway, since it was an email Q&A, there was no way he'd be as spontaneous as he is in real life (it's the same for ALL musicians). The great thing about Flip and Brian is that they talk "a bit too much" when they're being interviews face to face. We always learn cool behind the scenes tidbits :)
DonHarry wrote:Hahaha people are even critiquing interviews. Unbelievable haha.
Would you prefer if I said this interview was amazing, epic, and it gave me goosebumps ? :rolleyes

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

chtimixeur wrote:
DonHarry wrote:Hahaha people are even critiquing interviews. Unbelievable haha.
Would you prefer if I said this interview was amazing, epic, and it gave me goosebumps ? :rolleyes
I actually prefer if you didn't have anything positive to say that you do not say anything at all, no offense. I mean it is a great thing for the site that they got Brian to email them some pretty decent answers and stuff. Why spoil that?

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

I have no preferences. I just find it funny how some people manage to find fault with literally anything. Genuinely tickles me. I swear to god I'm sat here tickled.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Nitpicking is inevitable.
Thanks Timo!

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

Awesome, thanks to both the administrators and Brian Marshall for this! Cry of Achilles just keeps sounding better and better.