Your Ultimate Top 5 Alter Bridge Songs

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
RuRo
Loyal Follower

Re: Your Ultimate Top 5 Alter Bridge Songs

Post by RuRo »

1. Blackbird
2. Ties That Bind
3. Slip To The Void
4. The End Is Here
5. White Knuckles

Number 5 is a hard pick but the top 4 is easy. Might edit to say something about each one later.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

[quote="Timotheus"The thought of making a top 5 seems emotionally fatiguing to me.[/quote]
So true. I'd have to compare each song to all the others, in every possible combination, to come up with a true Top 5.
AB23 wrote:I really hope someone appreciates one by one as much as I do... Especially the few live versions we have
I do. Maybe not Top 5, but that song is incredibly powerful, especially the live versions.

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

MARCOS' TOP 5:

1. One Day Remains
Favorite song since the 1st clip I heard of it. The speed, the lyrics, the melody, the riffs... everything makes it an absolute favorite.

2. Blackbird
Plain epic... this song takes you in a journey and everybody can relate to the meaning. The two solos are great as well.

3. New Way To Live
I love the vibe of this song. That's what's rock is all about for me, it feels like classic rock but it's also heavy, modern.

4. Come to Life
Guitar wise, this song doesn't have that sound or riff... but there's something about it just works for me! I love it! Lyrics, the atmosphere... great song.

5. White Knuckles
Great song to get you in a high energy level, the lyrics are great too, always think about it when I'm about to fight for what I want professionally or in a personal matter.

For me too, the top 4 were an easy pick, but I struggled to choose the 5th one... so many great songs!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Hmmm, this is really tough to do. All right, let's see here. It might change from time to time. I guess I'll pick the songs that made me realize that AB is the best band I have ever listened to.

1. Blackbird - Easy #1 pick, their performance of Live From Amsterdam was on. Myles was singing his best and greatest with that one. Guitar work was spectacular, rhythm sections was great. Solos was f'en great.

2. New Way To Live - To me, when they played that song during Live From Amsterdam, that single-handily, solidify them as the band to listen to.

3. Watch Over You - Man, that song was sad and powerful and when Myles sings it acoustically, you know that Myles is talking to your soul, personally.

4. Open Your Eyes - Essentially, the song that I know I can sing karaoke-style and nail it point on point, especially singing Mark's guitar solo.

5. Slip to the Void - Their crack at changing the song structure from standard radio structure to something different and has great elements. It is haunting, it feels epic, and is very worthy of being the opener of the album and the live shows.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

1. Burn It Down... Funny, I never really got into this song until a couple of years ago. It's amazing how a song can start so low (in mood anyways) and rise into a beautiful crescendo by the bridge. I love the solo. One of my fav's from Mark. And the vox from Myles are otherworldly.

2. Blackbird... I lost my best friend at 19 (he was 18) this song says it all. I'm no cryer. But the one time I saw the guys live, when they performed this, I was reduced to tears. I had no idea that all along I was preserving my friends memory by listening to this song

3. Ghost of Days Gone By... I love everything about it. From the quirky finger picking part... to the awesome sing-a-long chorus... to the moment the person in the song has realized that their life has passed them by while they wallowed in the past. Amazing song

4. The End Is Here... Just badassery at it's finest. The middle bit where Mark hits that harmonic is an amazing moment. Probably their funnest riff to sing out loud.

5. Isolation... I had trouble picking between this, One Day Remains or Come To Life. I run 3-4 miles a few times a week to all three. But in the end, I love the subject matter, the riff and the lead parts from both of our gee-tarists the most in Isolation. Another badass tune.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

1.- Blackbird
2.- Coming Home
3.- Ghost Of Days Gone By
4.- The Damage Done
5.- Life Must Go On

^Songs that I never skip

Der_Metzgermeister
Loyal Follower

Post by Der_Metzgermeister »

1) One Day Remains

2) Words Darker than their Wings

3) Blackbird

4) Slip to the Void

5) Shed My Skin

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

Jim wrote:Jim's Top 5 Alter Bridge Songs

[list]1. Blackbird
2. Brand New Start
3. Find The Real
4. White Knuckles
5. Zero[/list]
Nice subtle sig! I like!

alterchris
TABN.com Citizen

Post by alterchris »

This one is tough - only five songs?!?!? lol

1. One by One

2. Break Me Down

3. Brand New Start

4. Blackbird

5. Ties that Bind

Edit: already changed mine...this is extremely difficult for me with so many great songs
Last edited by alterchris on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TREMONSTER
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TREMONSTER »

1. Blackbird
2. Slip to the Void
3. Coeur D' Alene
4. Metalingus
5. Shed My Skin
*Courtesy of Alter Bridge Bangladesh Facebook

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Ghosts of Days Gone By.
Words Darker Than Their Wings.
Blackbird.
Life Must Go On.
Watch Over You.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Right. Could only earlier narrow it down to 4 off each album, have just listened to them all (a thoroughly life-affirming 58 minutes, so I'm now going through again!) and have decided on the following. Feel free to skip my explanations, I would.

1. Blackbird - Yeah, sorry to be boring, but... yeah. I could wax on about it for paragraphs which would be dull for everyone but me so I'll try to keep it brief: it's basically all of Alter Bridge's best elements and none of the worst, distilled into 7:58. It's their longest song but not a second's wasted - it wasn't written, it was crafted.

2. Slip to the Void - Probably my second favourite Alter Bridge song, and my favourite lyrics that Myles has written generally. Similar to Blackbird in the sense they're leaving their comfort zone and the song's all the better for it, going from the creepy intro, through to the breakdown where your head starts bobbing up and down whether you want it to or not. This is also in my top 5 songs that I'd like to listen to whilst being absorbed by a black hole.

3. Broken Wings - This wasn't the first song I'd listened to by the band, but it was the song that made me a fan. I'd heard Open Your Eyes and whilst I liked it, it didn't really make any big impact. Broken Wings though really allowed Myles' tenor to fly, and that in combination with Mark's opening guitar had me hooked. Remains one of my favourite songs they've done.

4. Ties That Bind - I remember back when we were in the position were are now with the Blackbird album, anxiously waiting for the first single. That turned out to be Rise Today and, whilst I liked it, it wasn't as I'd hoped. Bit standard. Then they put up Ties That Bind on their Myspace (it was that long ago) and I giggled like a twat. I think of it as the debut of Alter Bridge as they now are.

5. Coeur D'Alene - Quite surprised myself that I've put this ahead of Isolation, particularly as I once again had to grapple with which way round the e and u go, but I love this song to death. The riff is a nice smack in the face, the harmonies in the chorus are among my favourites that Mark and Myles have done and the vocal lines that close the song are fun.

Okay, that wasn't too bad...
For all of the hope that it brings...

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Only 1 person other than myself chose Open Your Eyes as there top 5 fav. Always thought Open Your Eyes represented what AB was all about.

Personal Lyrics
Catchy Chorus
Breakdown Bridge
Awesome Solo
Lead from Mark Fucking Tremonti on Vocal

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Mid-table for me, I like it but they've written more that I much prefer. Respect what it signalled for the band though and for fans that've been here since the start (I was a bit later on).
For all of the hope that it brings...

OprahWinfrey
'O'

Post by OprahWinfrey »

1. Come to Life
2. Ghost of Days Gone By
3. Watch Over You
4. Home
5. Isolation
Who knew Oprah likes Alter Bridge?

alterswede
Brand New Start

Post by alterswede »

1. Ghost Of Days Gone By
2. All hope is gone
3. Before Tomorrow Comes
4. Find The Real
5. Slip To The Void

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Timotheus wrote: The thought of making a top 5 seems emotionally fatiguing to me.
Same here, even for the bottom 5.

I'll try to do it at some point though.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Great choice for "Home," Oprah. I have long thought that it is a highly underrated track. And maybe someone can shed some light on this. When they posted the ABIII whiteboard, there was a song called "For What Once Remained." We all assume that it's for Ghost. But could it possibly for Home? "Is There something I could say to bring back what once remained?"
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Decay

Post by Decay »

Okay, it's a really hard pick for me and I hate leaving some of the songs off. (Down To My Last/Burn It Down/Watch Over You, Slip, Before Tomorrow Comes, Ghost, etc...)

1. Open Your Eyes - This song (and Alter Bridge) is my first (rock n roll/music) love, the first song I've heard from AB. Got me hooked when I was watching CNN soundcheck with my cousin back in the day. I still love it. It's remarkable. It's epic.

2. Brand New Start - I've always loved this song, ever since I heard it. I love calling it ''A car driving song'' sometimes. Makes me wanna think about things... I blast it and sing along to it every single time I'm going for a drive. I love the feeling when I hear ''We'll chase the setting Sun, as we outrun a life of agony, God how we ache to be free...'' while I'm driving and looking at the Sunset. It makes me wanna disappear. It's a very personal message to me, that it's never too late to start something new, something good.

3. Ties That Bind - I love the heavy stuff. This is clearly their best heavy song. One of my all time favorites. I love the anger in it, it has a haunting, killer verses, chorus, bridge and an awesome solo. If I'm having a bad day, this tune is the turning point.

4. Blackbird - Well, Blackbird is... Blackbird. AB's masterpiece. There's not much to say, except it's EPIC all the way.

5. Words Darker Than Their Wings - Another epic tune. Haunting intro, loving Myles and Mark's lyrics and vocals. It made me cry when I first heard it. I really loved and connected to this song the most when I was so low in my life. The last 6 months of 2012 and the first couple of months of 2013 really sucked for me. I was having doubts about God existing 'cause I was dealing with so much shit during that time. I was like ''Where is God now?'' Then later I figured ''Okay, I'm going through a rough patch right now. But the teacher is always quiet during the test...'' So, the bridge has really showed me there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Just don't give up.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Thank the Lord ^ (Your #1 song)