Addicted To Pain - Artwork Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Re: Addicted To Pain - Artwork Thread

Post by youknowverywell »

Maybe in the single artwork we'll see pieces of a fortress. Here's a turret as a crown, obviously. Maybe we'll also see a door or a bridge worked into artwork for other singles.

I don't know why but I kinda see this as like war (castle turret) and government (crown) cover up evil (the skull) - especially given the album's themes we've heard from Myles. I don't know how that would relate to Addicted to Pain, though.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

My guess is that the cover symbolizes idolization. Starts out as wearing your castle as a crown, then the album cover portrays the "Fortress" of the closing track. Shows what happens when you hold things up on a pedestal.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

Andy92 wrote:My guess is that the cover symbolizes idolization. Starts out as wearing your castle as a crown, then the album cover portrays the "Fortress" of the closing track. Shows what happens when you hold things up on a pedestal.
That's interesting, I like that as well. It starts as something that we hold high, then we become defensive about it or defend it or it defends us, and then it turns against us or lets us down.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote:My guess is that the cover symbolizes idolization. Starts out as wearing your castle as a crown, then the album cover portrays the "Fortress" of the closing track. Shows what happens when you hold things up on a pedestal.
Good stuff. I just saw a skeleton wearing a castle as a hat and thought "shit, cool."
For all of the hope that it brings...

daysgoneby
Brand New Start

Post by daysgoneby »

The artwork is awesome!! Can't wait to hear it!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik :lol

I'm still not quite sure if that ties into a song called "Addicted to Pain" per se, but it does fit decently well for any addiction in general.

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

TenaciousBe wrote:Looks like some Triple H shit. I'm diggin it!
Tom wrote:all hail the king.. the king of kings.
YES.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

youknowverywell wrote:I don't know why but I kinda see this as like war (castle turret) and government (crown) cover up evil (the skull) - especially given the album's themes we've heard from Myles. I don't know how that would relate to Addicted to Pain, though.
I suppose war qualifies somewhat as an "addiction to pain". Not sure Myles would have done another one about that though...
For all of the hope that it brings...

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

So, the fortress is worn as a crown, both of which can symbolize authority, power, and protection. I think the skull works in this case because it's not done to be badass, the skull looks like it's bowing under the pressure it's putting on itself as it decays. Perhaps out of fear or something, the person has relied too much on some sense of protection (some "totem" maybe) and is now collapsing, rotting by over reliance.

I'm not entirely sure how it relates to the title though. Maybe pain is the totem? Yeah, it's like someone who has become too accustomed, almost comfortable being the one in pain. They're too afraid too step out of their bad situation because they're addicted to whatever pain they have now, it's become too normalized.

Maybe along the lines of this part of Them Crooked Vultures' "Caliguove": "Darling, a sensitive soul is just, / A tyrant who enslaves, / All those around him, / To make certain he / Is hurt, always." This would line up more with the crown imagery but I suppose the character could be entirely a victim, though the art still makes me doubt it.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Nick wrote:So, the fortress is worn as a crown, both of which can symbolize authority, power, and protection. I think the skull works in this case because it's not done to be badass, the skull looks like it's bowing under the pressure it's putting on itself as it decays. Perhaps out of fear or something, the person has relied too much on some sense of protection (some "totem" maybe) and is now collapsing, rotting by over reliance.

I'm not entirely sure how it relates to the title though. Maybe pain is the totem? Yeah, it's like someone who has become too accustomed, almost comfortable being the one in pain. They're too afraid too step out of their bad situation because they're addicted to whatever pain they have now, it's become too normalized.

Maybe along the lines of this part of Them Crooked Vultures' "Caliguove": "Darling, a sensitive soul is just, / A tyrant who enslaves, / All those around him, / To make certain he / Is hurt, always." This would line up more with the crown imagery but I suppose the character could be entirely a victim, though the art still makes me doubt it.
I like this idea. Kind of expands upon what I was thinking with it. It also reminded me of Tool's 'The Grudge.'

Wear your grudge like a crown
Desperate to control
Unable to forgive
And we're sinking deeper

And also,

Saturn comes back around
Lifts you up like a child
Or drags you down like a stone
To consume you till you choose to let this go

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Merinda wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:Looks like some Triple H shit. I'm diggin it!
Tom wrote:all hail the king.. the king of kings.
YES.
I smell a Motorhead tour with AB opening if the right cards fall into play and Lemmy is in good health. Could be another good option for AB to try to expand their audience.

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that this cover fits more with the album than with the single, the crown could be the 'fortress' and it looks so much better in every way, I'm in love with it :)

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

2 different things. 1 single purpose

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

So did the guys say anything about Fortress being a concept record? I don't think they would do 2 in a row but I'm sort of picking up on a concept now...
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

SugarShane
Brand New Start

Post by SugarShane »

The meaning that i'm getting out of this cover is that it has something to do with skulls and castles. The image is red but i think that's kind of a cover up/design thing. The text is whitey grey so when you add it all together, castle, grey, skull.

Castle Grayskull.

I can only conclude that Addicted To Pain is a cover of Skeletor Vs Beastman by Gnarkill/CKY.

OprahWinfrey
'O'

Post by OprahWinfrey »

Ubik wrote:
Good stuff. I just saw a skeleton wearing a castle as a hat and thought "shit, cool."

Haha that's what I thought too. Oprah doesn't have time to read into things.
Who knew Oprah likes Alter Bridge?

Alasdair
Brand New Start

Post by Alasdair »

Andy92 wrote:Oh my gosh you're on the forums. :lol
I've been a "GUEST" for about a year haha, decided I should start contributing again. ;)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

So when I see a surplus of "guests" logged in now I'll remember it's most likely regulars who didn't feel like logging in. :lol

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I love this take on it. It makes sense with the title Addicted to Pain as well. I doubt very much it's a song about literal pain, more so taking the abuse of holding something in such high regard even though it kind of craps all over you. Good thought, Andy. =)

Stuzz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Stuzz »

Inconquerable wrote:
I love this take on it. It makes sense with the title Addicted to Pain as well. I doubt very much it's a song about literal pain, more so taking the abuse of holding something in such high regard even though it kind of craps all over you. Good thought, Andy. =)
That's exactly what i was thinking, loving something so much even though it causes pain, you still can't let go. either way this song sounds as though it is going to be badass.