Avoid listening to album before release?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Avoid listening to album before release?

Post by VigilantSteve »

Anyone planning on doing this? I haven't been able to do this for any of AB's previous albums, but I think I'm going to try to avoid listening to any clips, and maybe even the single, until the CD is released.

Realistically though, I'll probably cave within 30 minutes of something being released. :facepalm

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Avoid listening to album before release?

Post by anguyen92 »

I'm doing it. The moment I find that their deluxe version are in stores and in stock, I'm driving to the nearest Best Buy to buy it, no ifs, ands, or buts.

I've waited about three years for new AB material, I can wait a little more, until I'm sure that album is in stores.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I'm like you, Steve. Same as with beer or cookies, my good intentions last about as long as it takes to consider how awesome it would be to cave and sample what's out there. But even if there are some clips or a single, there will be plenty of stuff I won't hear until the whole album comes out, so a quick sample won't ruin the whole thing.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I can say that I will but theres just no way

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

As much as I would want to try and not listen to anything and let everything be fresh, I'll probably listen to the first single when it comes out. I probably won't download it because I did with "Isolation"...I listened to that song so much that by the time I got the album, I would want to skip that song just because I overplayed it too much. I'll try to go without listening to the song samples when they come out but it's gonna be hard.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I'm just going to be honest with myself and say that I'll listen to anything that comes out. The single is a given, the samples I'll probably listen to quite often as well. These things don't ruin the album for me, and I find that oftentimes the single sounds better within the context of the full album anyways so I can play it over and over and it doesn't change how much I like it or not.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Speaking of this though, considering all this is about to start coming out after monday, it is about that time for an ABIV spoilers thread. Because I think I'm gonna try to avoid the previews, but I don't want people talking about them on the updates page.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Lol spoilers for an album. Jesus. You guys slay me.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'll listen to every full song I'll get. I won't listen to previews.

I'm also reading everything Michael has got to say about this album :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm listening to everything. And it won't bother me one bit.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:I'll listen to every full song I'll get. I won't listen to previews.
This is pretty much how I feel. Listening to full songs doesn't really ruin much, but I like staying away from previews (although I tend to cave in with bands like AB haha).
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

That's why I think there should be a spoilers section haha. DOES THAT NOT PLEASE YOU MACCA!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Oh I agree. The spoiler part about albums comes in when people start talking about how the songs sound. If you read a group of posts talking about a song like Slip to the Void before listening to it, it takes a bit of the surprise of the first listen out of it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Andy92 wrote:Oh I agree. The spoiler part about albums comes in when people start talking about how the songs sound. If you read a group of posts talking about a song like Slip to the Void before listening to it, it takes a bit of the surprise of the first listen out of it.
I'll listen to the previews just once, maybe twice, I don't think I can hold off when they come out.
I don't think it's gonna 'ruin' the feeling when I listen to the album in its entirety.

The spoilers? You mean the reviews? I like reading them, gives you an insight of the song, some describe it in details, some don't, but I don't mind 'em. It's not gonna spoil anything for me.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Well, usually album reviews don't go all that in depth about song specifics, they're more general. I'm more referring to if some people on this board listen to things early and others don't, the people choosing to not listen until release would probably appreciate all those comments going in a single thread.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

For example, many reviews took away the excitement of GODGB bridge away from me by revealing the lyrics and the manner in which they were sung.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's impossible to make spoiler thread on this board.. Look what happened to the Fourth Record Discusion Thread..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AB23 wrote:For example, many reviews took away the excitement of GODGB bridge away from me by revealing the lyrics and the manner in which they were sung.
Right, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
Timotheus wrote:It's impossible to make spoiler thread on this board.. Look what happened to the Fourth Record Discusion Thread..
You're pretty much right with this haha, but the one from AB III did pretty well from what I remember.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Timo, IDK if I totally agree with that. If it is the ONE place where we speak about the album for the first month or so, it could work.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

One of the mods stickied the AB III one if I remember correctly. It worked well.