ODR does not sound like Creed

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
dadbobo
Brand New Start

ODR does not sound like Creed

Post by dadbobo »

If I had a nickle for every time I heard this I would be rich by now.. I have listened to Creed since My Own Prison, there three albums are great, but I never found myself even remotely thinking that ODR sounds anything like any of the three Creed albums, not even one song. I feel a lot of it has to do with Myles his style and vocal range is so much different than Stapp's that it changes the whole dynamic of the Mark, Brian and Flip not to mention the fact that Myles is one of the most humble and grateful people in the world and has such a passion for what he sings. The album just feels and sound different. Who is with me on this????

AB23
Still Remains

Re: ODR does not sound like Creed

Post by AB23 »

I think ODR was written for Creed, not AB, which is where most of those comparisons come from.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB23 wrote:I think ODR was written for Creed, not AB, which is where most of those comparisons come from.
Hmmm, I can see that. But, do you think Stapp would really sing a song like Metalingus? That said, I, sometimes, think that Myles is not suitable to sing that song at times. But you listen to that song enough times, it just naturally fits after many listens.

As for the topic, in order to really make the comparison on the whole ODR sounds like Creed matter, just picture this. Try to replace Myles' voice with Stapp and see if that works. I highly doubt Stapp would really do the tracks justice in the same manner Myles does with it.

In the end, ODR does not sound like Creed. That said, the band's whole identity was not there and established yet.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Open Your Eyes reminds me of Take Me Higher and Arms Wide Open or somesuch. Though with a much much better singer obviously.

Watch Your Words sounds lyrically more like Creed than later Alter Bridge to me.

Of course there's some similarity given the guys playing the instruments. Mark ain't playin' banjo. But it's a transition to a new sound.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

agny wrote:Open Your Eyes reminds me of Take Me Higher and Arms Wide Open or somesuch. Though with a much much better singer obviously.
:yeahthat

which is why it took Metalingus to hook me even though the first I heard of AB was Open Your Eyes (just the chorus. WWE used it for something where they were playing the chorus every week on Raw). I remember thinking that it sounded a lot like creed (not knowing that they had announced their breakup). Metalingus got me right away, though. I bought ODR for that song and loved the whole album on first listen. the rest, as they say, is history!

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

This comparison must be done in pieces.

Yes, some of the ODR songs were originally written for Creed, but they don't sound like Creed (except for Open Your Eyes, which uses the same chord progression and tone of My Sacrifice).

And this is not because of Myles x Stapp.

Different producer, Myles input, pre-pro arrangements... All of this have a huge influence on the final product.

One might say thy don't see Stapp singing Metalingus, but he did sing Bullets and Young Grow Old - which are metal oriented songs.

Not to mention Mark opened his vault to record different styles: I don't see One Day Remains as a Creed song, nor Burn It Down, too moody.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think Marcos pretty much summed it up. I could hear Stapp (in his prime) singing certain songs on the album. Like I could hear him singing the verses to Shed My Skin, but I can't really picture the chorus as well. It's all what you get used to. We've heard Myles singing those tracks for years now. Anyone else singing them, not just Stapp, would just sound odd.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Songs like Shed My Skin, The End Is Here, Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings sound a lot like Creedin my opinion..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Timotheus wrote:Songs like Shed My Skin, The End Is Here, Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings sound a lot like Creedin my opinion..
Yup.
For me, half the record was intended for Creed IV. Sonically, it's just a continuation of the Creed sound. I would add In Loving Memory and Down to My Last to that list. I could definitely hear Stapp singing his own lyrics on some of those songs (especially Down to my Last and Open your Eyes).

On the other, Find thre Real, One Day Remains, Metalingus and Watch Your Words sound nothing like Creed IMHO.

Decay

Post by Decay »

chtimixeur wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Songs like Shed My Skin, The End Is Here, Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings sound a lot like Creedin my opinion..
Yup.
For me, half the record was intended for Creed IV. Sonically, it's just a continuation of the Creed sound. I would add In Loving Memory and Down to My Last to that list. I could definitely hear Stapp singing his own lyrics on some of those songs (especially Down to my Last and Open your Eyes).

On the other, Find thre Real, One Day Remains, Metalingus and Watch Your Words sound nothing like Creed IMHO.
Agreed. But I don't think Stapp could sing Down To My Last in such a high register like Myles does, but I can imagine him singing the verses.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

He probably would've changed the harmonies or melodies..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Timotheus wrote:He probably would've changed the harmonies or melodies..
And that would probably suck. :lol

I think DTML is just perfect the way it is.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Decay wrote:But I don't think Stapp could sing Down To My Last in such a high register like Myles does
That's for sure.
Those ODR songs could have worked for Stapp, but there would have probably been some minor changes to suit his voice (lower tuning, slower pace).

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I completely 100% disagree. Though One Day Remains is an absolutely excellent album, I've always thought that with the exception of Myles' vocals that the majority of the album feels and sounds very much like a Creed album musically, especially songs like Open Your Eyes, Broken Wings, In Loving Memory, Down to My Last, Shed My Skin, & The End Is Here. I could definitely hear Stapp singing these on a Creed album, though the melodies would probably be a bit different to suit his range, and some of the lyrics may have been different since Stapp would have probably wrote some of them. Even then, the only song musically that I really don't think would have worked as a Creed song, especially at the time of release, is Find the Real.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: back on topic and kicking ass

Post by zazthespaz »

DTML was never a Creed song I thought. The lyrics are all about leaving Creed behind and moving forward with the reception of some and the criticism of others.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: back on topic and kicking ass

Post by chtimixeur »

zazthespaz wrote:DTML was never a Creed song I thought. The lyrics are all about leaving Creed behind and moving forward with the reception of some and the criticism of others.
Most of us are not talking about ODR's lyrics : we're talking abut the music.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

A lot of music reviewers still refers to AB as "Creed with a different singer", mainly because ODR resembles Creed sound, adn they still don't get that AB released BB and ABIII which sound nothing like Creed.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TomK
Bought The CDs

Post by TomK »

I can see where people are coming from when they say that ODR sounds like Creed, but only because of a few of the riffs in a few of the songs like Open Your Eyes and Down To My Last sounding similar to some Creed songs.
The thing is, when I listen to all of any song from ODR I really cannot see Scott Stapp singing it (maybe just because I'm used to it being sung by Myles) which makes me find it hard to see much of a similarity.

What I really don't get though, is why they're being criticised by people for having a similar sound? If people like it, then what's the problem? Of course it will sound similar - most of the band are the same!

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I don't think it's so much that people are necessarily criticizing the similar sound (though there are people that do that) as it is just people comparing and pointing out that the sounds are similar. Part of the reason that I loved Alter Bridge and One Day Remains so much back when it came out was because of the similarities that it had to Creed. Ultimately, the only thing that I feel makes it stand out as being different from a Creed record is Myles' vocals.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I haven't once thought of Creed when listening to One Day Remains. Different band, different sound. It would be nice to find out how many, if any, of the songs were "meant for Creed", from Mark himself