Difference

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Difference

Post by Andy92 »

They had to be somewhat creative with Wonderful Life. If they kept it soft the whole way through, it would've just been dubbed Watch Over You Pt. 2.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Post by joey78 »

Andy92 wrote:They had to be somewhat creative with Wonderful Life. If they kept it soft the whole way through, it would've just been dubbed Watch Over You Pt. 2.
Well it still is the ballad of the album, just like Watch Over you was the ballad of Blackbird.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I didn't think either of them really suited AB, too cheesy. Much better balladry going on in ODR.

EDIT: Actually not really. Both AB3 & Blackbird also had better "ballads" than that too.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Them Bones wrote:Every heavy song on ODR is far superior to any heavy song in either of the following albums imo. Songs like Find The Real , Metallingus, ODR, etc. Yep, maybe ODR does sound like Creed, but thats the point. Mark was known for his Creed days. That was what was unique about Mark.He wasn't just another " show off guitar skills metal dude". He used the guitar enough to fit the song the way it was supposed to. A song full of mush riffs, however technically amazing will not match a well written song. About ODR the unique thing was Myles. It doesnt have to be bad just because it sounds like Creed, the fact is Creed was a damn good sounding band, and people give em shit just for the fuck of it. When ODR was written, Mark wasn't thinking "More Metal, More Heavy, More European Band", it came from the heart, you can easily tell the difference. On the following albums, most of the songs sounded forced. You could constantly hear Mark go in interviews " Yeah, we are much heavy now, we are more metal, metal this, metal that, heavy shit, heavy, heavy, heavy" Most of the times I couldn't understand what he was going on all about. AB heavier than Creed? Noisier than Creed, yes, heavier? No. ODR was good heavy, faster riffs, great vocals and modest songwriting. Thats what AB should have taken up, probably refined that sound, but a total change into a direction which doesn't suit any of them, total waste. Brian is a groove oriented bassy, he is hardly audible on the recent albums. Flip has lost most of his dynamics and for most of the songs seems to be playing the exact same thing. Myles was a much better vocalist in the ODR "era", his voice clearly is not suitable for the new AB "heavy" sound. They are getting "heavy" cuz thats apparently cool.
I don't really think they're doing it to be cool. Mark's been a metal fan his entire live, he enjoys playing it. Songs like Ties That Bind, White Knuckles and Isolation don't feel forced to me at all. I agree that they should get the bass to a better level on the albums, and Flip should definitely practice more imo, but for the rest it's just a matter of taste. I actually am not a huge fan of Watch Your Words and I think Metalingus is AB's most overrated song.
joey78 wrote:
Timotheus wrote: There are still plenty of songs on the latest two albums where Myles shines on softer songs (Wach Over You, Blackbird, Wayward One, Intro of Slip To The Void, Life Must Go On, Wonderful Life....)
I was referring to AB3, not Blackbird which is my favorite album.

AB3 is where they've tried to go metal. That heavy bridge in GODGB just before the solo - was there really a need for that heavy bridge ?

Did Wonderful Life have to get so heavy towards the end ? It's like they've tried to fit in these heavy riffs when there was no need to ?

More than these heavy riffs, it's that old tired sound of the record that kinda gets to me.

And their live sound ? Man don't even get me started.
I talked about that heavy bridge in Ghost a few days ago on this board. I feel like they were trying to do something new with that song. It was a creative decision that I absolutely support.
Wonderful Life didn't even become that heavy imo. It just became intense. For the rest I agree with Andy.
What do you mean with that old tired sound on the record? They've only had 3 records, and the 1st one sounds very different from the last 2.
I agree about the live sound. If there's something about AB that I don't like it's their live attitude.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Post by joey78 »

Timotheus wrote: What do you mean with that old tired sound on the record? They've only had 3 records, and the 1st one sounds very different from the last 2.
I agree about the live sound. If there's something about AB that I don't like it's their live attitude.
AB has a very muddy sound, no dynamics at all. Their live sound is even worse. I'm not sure what you mean by live attitude but to me their live shows have gotten terrible. It's like they're just going through the motions. If a casual listener had to attend their shows, they wouldn't be able to distinguish one song from another.

There is hardly any stage banter or interaction with audience. There is a huge difference in their live performances when compared to the older shows from the ODR and Blackbird era.

These 4 guys need to take a couple of years off from all their side-projects and just focus on making an AB record. I wish the Slash Myles thing had to happen a little later. Blackbird was when they first started sounding like a band and just a couple of years later there was talk of a Creed reunion.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:Every heavy song on ODR is far superior to any heavy song in either of the following albums imo. Songs like Find The Real , Metallingus, ODR, etc. Yep, maybe ODR does sound like Creed, but thats the point. Mark was known for his Creed days. That was what was unique about Mark.He wasn't just another " show off guitar skills metal dude". He used the guitar enough to fit the song the way it was supposed to. A song full of mush riffs, however technically amazing will not match a well written song. About ODR the unique thing was Myles. It doesnt have to be bad just because it sounds like Creed, the fact is Creed was a damn good sounding band, and people give em shit just for the fuck of it. When ODR was written, Mark wasn't thinking "More Metal, More Heavy, More European Band", it came from the heart, you can easily tell the difference. On the following albums, most of the songs sounded forced. You could constantly hear Mark go in interviews " Yeah, we are much heavy now, we are more metal, metal this, metal that, heavy shit, heavy, heavy, heavy" Most of the times I couldn't understand what he was going on all about. AB heavier than Creed? Noisier than Creed, yes, heavier? No. ODR was good heavy, faster riffs, great vocals and modest songwriting. Thats what AB should have taken up, probably refined that sound, but a total change into a direction which doesn't suit any of them, total waste. Brian is a groove oriented bassy, he is hardly audible on the recent albums. Flip has lost most of his dynamics and for most of the songs seems to be playing the exact same thing. Myles was a much better vocalist in the ODR "era", his voice clearly is not suitable for the new AB "heavy" sound. They are getting "heavy" cuz thats apparently cool.
Once again, I agree 100% with one of your posts, especially on this quote.
Noisier than Creed, yes, heavier? No.
Mark should never have gotten rid of the "Creed sound". That was his trademark, and he choose to drop it as if he were ashamed of it.
The guy was truly unique. He had a sound of his own that any casual rock fan could identify in a couple of seconds.
Instead, he's become a Sevendust wannabe.

I love metal, but Mark is simply not great in this genre. He's decent at best.
joey78 wrote:Their live sound is even worse. I'm not sure what you mean by live attitude but to me their live shows have gotten terrible. It's like they're just going through the motions.
When the band plays ODR stuff, Myles often looks bored. It's like he has to play those songs but he doesn't seem to enjoy them. Just look at his body language during Metalingus or ODR.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I'd agree with everything except this line:
Them Bones wrote:On the following albums, most of the songs sounded forced.
Which songs do you have on your mind? I'd agree with One By One, Break Me Down or Make it Right but definitely not with Blackbird, Brand New Start or Slip to the Void for instance. Actually, there are some fillers, so to speak, on both BB and ABIII, so the idea of reducing amount of songs on each record would work there. Give us less. but better quality. For me personally, ODR doesn't have something which BB has. Maybe it's about climate, energy or heaviness. The amount of heaviness was perfect on BB. On ABIII they had come slighty too far.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

one by one is the second best song on blackbird

joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Post by joey78 »

dolo1993 wrote: The amount of heaviness was perfect on BB. On ABIII they had come slighty too far.
Agree. BB had a perfect blend. AB3 is where they've tried to go "metal" .

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

joey78 wrote:
dolo1993 wrote: The amount of heaviness was perfect on BB. On ABIII they had come slighty too far.
I see this statement a lot and totally disagree. Although ABIII had a more personal subject matter, it was a far more middle of the road in tone. It didn't have anything on the level of Ties That Bind, Coming Home or White Knuckles in terms of heaviness.

Isolation was the closest they came but that has a rock poppy chorus.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Crumbso wrote:
joey78 wrote:
I see this statement a lot and totally disagree. Although ABIII had a more personal subject matter, it was a far more middle of the road in tone. It didn't have anything on the level of Ties That Bind, Coming Home or White Knuckles in terms of heaviness.

Isolation was the closest they came but that has a rock poppy chorus.
I agree with Crumbso on this. Maybe AB3 maintained a heavier tone across the whole album compared to BB, I don't think there are any songs on AB#, aside from Isolation, that are as heavy as the trio he mentioned. I think that may be part of the reason I like BB more than AB3. BB has more diversity within the album, and I think it pushed both ends of the spectrum farther.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Decay

Post by Decay »

BB will always be AB's best album. Unless they do something really awesome and powerful with this new album.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

^ When's the last time you guys listened to ODR??? The record, from start to finish, is an epic masterpiece. The clarity on the vocals, the creative riffs, the harmonies, the lyrics, the atmosphere and character of the songs supersedes all of their subsequent work. Its a crime what they did to their sound. Too bad Mark was so ashamed of his Creed sound because it was really something special.

Blackbird is really cool, but it lives in the shadow of ODR, IMO.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

You guys should really start to respect each other's opinions.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

My 2 favorite Albums from AB are ODR and BB.

ODR - because Open your eyes was the first song from them I ever heard (Then Metalingus on WWE). Fell in love with the Solo and Marks minor lead vocal at the end. Shed My Skin /End is here are so artistic and creative with the flow of it all.

BB- Myles introduced with Guitars and that pretty much changes AB right there. Riffs like One by One, White Knuckles, and Coming Home are some of Marks best and of course BlackBird and Watch over you.

Both amazing albums with 2 different sounds

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:^ When's the last time you guys listened to ODR??? The record, from start to finish, is an epic masterpiece. The clarity on the vocals, the creative riffs, the harmonies, the lyrics, the atmosphere and character of the songs supersedes all of their subsequent work. Its a crime what they did to their sound. Too bad Mark was so ashamed of his Creed sound because it was really something special.

Blackbird is really cool, but it lives in the shadow of ODR, IMO.
One Day Remains doesn't reach the highs of Blackbird and ABIII for me. More consistent though.
For all of the hope that it brings...

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

I think if BB had the same minimalist production as ODR it might be a harder decision for me. I will forever wonder what BB would have sounded like with the same ODR sound.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:One Day Remains doesn't reach the highs of Blackbird and ABIII for me. More consistent though.
I tend to agree with this. ODR is probably my favorite top to bottom, but there isn't that "Blackbird" track on it. I also think Slip/Isolation is a stronger opening duo than Find The Real/One Day Remains, although I know people will disagree with me on that.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

A fair point. ODR doesn't have that one, definitive stand out track (because they are all incredible!), I never thought about it like that. Although I think Broken Wings is one of their all time best.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've definitely got Broken Wings in my top 5, maybe top 3 AB songs. Just doesn't quite hit that milestone mark, maybe due to the lack of a solo. But ODR is their only album without filler. Some of the "lesser" songs such as Watch Your Words or Burn It Down still kick tail.