The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: The 4th Album

Post by Ubik »

I certainly don't think they need to do a prog-metal concept album or anything, or even anything they haven't shown they can do already, just more stuff like Slip and Blackbird. That can never be a bad thing, it'd be cool to have it on more than one or two songs per album. Still plenty of room left over for the other good stuff like Ties that Bind, Isolation, Wayward One etc.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

If Mark tours his solo stuff for some time before they begin writing; i believe that will greatly influence the direction of AB4.. AB4 will be heavy i think.

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

I hope it is.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Here's my 2 cents:

Never Born to Follow sounded like the direction they SHOULD have headed in after ODR but never happened. It was upbeat, had great melodies, lovely vocal fills, a totally kick ass bridge riff, and a soaring high finish from Myles. You could hear Brian, it had a groove, and fuck me it just flat out rocks. Oh, and Mark's solo killed it.

It had that uplifting tone to the guitar (and generally the whole song) that ODR did for me, it didn't just sound like a cold, calculated metal song. The chorus was an unexpected key change from the verses, it's awesome. I want more stuff like that.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Never Born To Follow, has the most "Tremonti" solo of ALL his solo's, dont ya think..? It's like he morphed everything he's ever done and put it into one solo. I love it!

The song just generally does kick ass, i agree. But Blackbird was definitely the right way to go back then.. AB III was somewhat of a love child in part, and hopefully the guys will have enough solo experience to really make something even more epic that ODR and Blackbird

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

The new album will be progressive, heavier with more instrumental sections. I started writing it last week.
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Will wrote:The new album will be progressive, heavier with more instrumental sections. I started writing it last week.
Any blast beat drum sections?
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Jim wrote:Never Born To Follow, has the most "Tremonti" solo of ALL his solo's, dont ya think..? It's like he morphed everything he's ever done and put it into one solo. I love it!

The song just generally does kick ass, i agree. But Blackbird was definitely the right way to go back then.. AB III was somewhat of a love child in part, and hopefully the guys will have enough solo experience to really make something even more epic that ODR and Blackbird
Totally agree with everything you said. Especially the Tru solo thing, and also the fact they were trying to distance their sound from Creed. I understand WHY they did what they did, I just would love some more ODR-type material, as a lot of us would it seems.

Will
Still Remains

Post by Will »

Andy92 wrote:
Will wrote:The new album will be progressive, heavier with more instrumental sections. I started writing it last week.
I'll keep you posted.
PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

Circles
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Circles »

Andy92 wrote:
Myles has stopped singing altogether and will talk the entire album. He said he wanted it to be just like a live show
OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LOSH NEW BOARD

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Circles wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
Myles has stopped singing altogether and will talk the entire album. He said he wanted it to be just like a live show
Must being doing a collaboration with Brent Smith then.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

They're kicking Flip out and Myles is gonna beat-box actually.. One of his many vocal talents.

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

Well, if I could take a guess, I'd say the reason Mark pushes AB to be a metal band so much is to prove himself as a great guitarist, considering all the hate Creed got in the past.

But now that he unleashed his inner beast on the solo album, I believe he'll be more confortable to write different things for Alter Bridge.

To be quite honest, when he says he has a feeling for Creed songs and AB songs, I really don't understand it. Take "Fear" or "Bread of Shame" for examples, they could've been AB's. And Breath Again or Break Me Down could've been Creed's.

And if you hear the new songs Creed is working on, there's definately an AB vibe to them, specially considering they're adding another layer of guitar (Erock).

Speaking of guitar layers, ABIII had too many of them. I think the Blackbird album was their best effort in terms of combining Myles and Mark's guitars, with a more clean sound to tell who's doing what. ABIII was all over the place.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think the problem with the AB III production is that Elvis tried doing too much in a 6 week span. I thought Blackbird sounded pretty good sonically, and when the guys have time to hammer out different ideas, I think it shows in the final product. Sometimes less is more.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Andy92 wrote:Sometimes less is more.
Word.

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

An instrumental would be cool. But basically I'd just want more kick ass rock songs on AB4.

AlterBlade
White Knuckled

Post by AlterBlade »

AN INSTRUMENTAL.
I still live.... #2024
Vote: AlterBlade

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

Taco Salad.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

I want a more stripped-down album myself. More acoustic.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Less of a formulaic sound. That's all.

Would be interesting to see what they would come up with if they spent an inordinate amount of time (say, 6 months or so) focusing just on Alter Bridge music. But I guess their schedules will never really allow for that.