The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

Post by Ubik »

austin. wrote:Wasnt overly impressed on first listen, just fished Cry of Achilles to Lover and am saying wow thus far. Dont love the beginning of Lover, but from where Myles starts going high, to the end of the song, it really grabs me, and music rarely rarely does that. Gives me goosebumps, and that kinda feeling in my throat. Can't pinpoint why, just the anthematic esque to it really pulls me in I guess. Bleed it dry I also really liked. The Uninvited is playing now. Possibly one of the more haunting songs I've ever heard.

That's what this album feels like to me. AB3 was "dark"
This album is "haunting, pure, raw" with haunting being the main focus. Which I feel is different from "dark"
I dunno, Remember I said I was taking Midnite Tokers advice and picking up a bag then listening? Stoned now, trying to put my thoughts into words, kinda rambling. Really liking this squeal from mark in Uninvited.
Damn, I'm digging this shit you guys, and I'm 100% a jealous Creed fan that's mad AB is the important band now, but fucking balls, good shit
^That's my favourite post of the year.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

austin. i just gained eons of respect bro

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Album is amazing you guys.. The melody and the way the instruments all mesh together and Myles wild vocals overtop, everything about this album just seems to have been done to a T with full effort in mind. I'm for sure one of those AB Sucks Creed makes me cream guys, no doubt, but you cannot deny greatness when it is right in front of you. And not just greatness as a consensus. Greatness that really grabs you and pulls you in and makes you want more. This concept type album has blown me away. Hate that it took 4 albums to get there, but AB is in my top 3 favorite bands now. Feel kinda proud, to be honest. It's like these are the songs everyone should be listening to man, this is the real deal, heart and soul, everything you need. I'm marking the fuck out for this.
Blown away. Honored to be a new "huge" fan of the band. Good, good stuff.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

even if you didnt like the album you admitted you were one of those creed fans who is jealous of AB. For some people it wouldnt matter what they released, it wouldnt live up to what they call "good music."

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

austin. wrote:Album is amazing you guys.. The melody and the way the instruments all mesh together and Myles wild vocals overtop, everything about this album just seems to have been done to a T with full effort in mind. I'm for sure one of those AB Sucks Creed makes me cream guys, no doubt, but you cannot deny greatness when it is right in front of you. And not just greatness as a consensus. Greatness that really grabs you and pulls you in and makes you want more. This concept type album has blown me away. Hate that it took 4 albums to get there, but AB is in my top 3 favorite bands now. Feel kinda proud, to be honest. It's like these are the songs everyone should be listening to man, this is the real deal, heart and soul, everything you need. I'm marking the fuck out for this.
glad you enjoyed the album, it's really something special and makes me wish for EVERYONE to listen to it at least once
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

austin. wrote:Album is amazing you guys.. The melody and the way the instruments all mesh together and Myles wild vocals overtop, everything about this album just seems to have been done to a T with full effort in mind. I'm for sure one of those AB Sucks Creed makes me cream guys, no doubt, but you cannot deny greatness when it is right in front of you. And not just greatness as a consensus. Greatness that really grabs you and pulls you in and makes you want more. This concept type album has blown me away. Hate that it took 4 albums to get there, but AB is in my top 3 favorite bands now. Feel kinda proud, to be honest. It's like these are the songs everyone should be listening to man, this is the real deal, heart and soul, everything you need. I'm marking the fuck out for this.
Welcome to the club! Glad you appreciate this album. Nice to see things like this, even as a fan.
Thanks Timo!

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

Guys I uploaded a kind a 'teaser' of a vocal cover of Calm The Fire, tomorrow I'm gonna finish the whole song, hope you like it :/ (the name 'si' is because of the copyright and whatever)

https://soundcloud.com/felypeeeeesh/si-1

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

That takes guts, I admire that very much. Turn the song down though for next time so we can hear you better. =)

Therefromthestart04
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Therefromthestart04 »

Has Addicted to pain video been aired on Scuzz or Kerrang tv yet ? also when will Scuzz meets AB air ?

InfantChild
Brand New Start

Post by InfantChild »

I just got my copy of fortress, awesome pics in the booklet!
Im Out listening now

Decay

Post by Decay »

I've come to dig Farther Than The Sun a lot lately.

I am very fond of Lover and All Ends Well, much more than on the first listen. This album gets better and better after every listen! :D

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

We still need to hear OUTRIGHT.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Man this album is a "grower". I wouldn't necessarily say I was disappointed when I first heard it but some of the songs like Farther than the Sun, Bleed it Dry, and Waters Rising took quite a few listens to really start digging it. Farther than the Sun has especially grown on me, what a riff, what a chorus and what a HELL of a good solo. Amazing album hands down. The only one that's still lingering for me is the chorus for Cry a River but I know as soon as I listen more and get all the lyrics/meanings down I'll love every song just like I love every other AB song. Really, the grower thing has been like that on almost every album for me. I remember first hearing ODR and I just raped repeat on DTML because I loved it first listen and I just didn't give any other song a chance. When I finally did, eventually I loved the whole album. When Blackbird came out I also didn't give it a chance because it sounded so different than ODR and I remember just forcing myself to listen to it and hearing the power behind Myles singing the verse in Rise today at "Hope we find a better way
before we find we're left with nothing" and thinking wow. Finally gave the rest of the album a listen and didn't regret it. When ABIII came out I was a certified diehard fan by that time. It was more like Fortress is now. I immediately gave every song a listen and some clicked right away but some songs like Show Me a Sign (oddly enough because this is now in my top 3), and WDTTW took a few listens. I'm rambling but I think ya'll get my point lol

musthavefaith07
Brand New Start

Post by musthavefaith07 »

Call me stupid for not being able to figure this out after listening to their sound for 10 years now, Fortress has four solos that def bleed into one another, I'm having a hard time picking out which r Myles and which r mark, I know mark mentioned it in an interview, anybody help?

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

musthavefaith07 wrote:Call me stupid for not being able to figure this out after listening to their sound for 10 years now, Fortress has four solos that def bleed into one another, I'm having a hard time picking out which r Myles and which r mark, I know mark mentioned it in an interview, anybody help?
I believe Mark is solo 1 and 3 and Myles is 2 and 4.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

My version of Calm the Fire is now like 5 seconds longer and has a gap between the intro and the octave riff coming in...anyone else got the same or has something weird occured?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's a radio edit!

You might be right though. My version of that song is 6:00 and according to wikipedia it's 6:04..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It was weird, just played it for the first time and I was like...WHAT IS HAPPENING, WHERE IS THE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC, then oh, there it was. I was deeply confused though.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Inconquerable wrote:
musthavefaith07 wrote:Call me stupid for not being able to figure this out after listening to their sound for 10 years now, Fortress has four solos that def bleed into one another, I'm having a hard time picking out which r Myles and which r mark, I know mark mentioned it in an interview, anybody help?
I believe Mark is solo 1 and 3 and Myles is 2 and 4.
Correct, and Myles' smoke the shit out of Mark's.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

^ Agreed!
Ubik wrote:It was weird, just played it for the first time and I was like...WHAT IS HAPPENING, WHERE IS THE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC, then oh, there it was. I was deeply confused though.
I should have the CD tomorrow.. Now I'm really curious.. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.