The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Alright, I'll try giving it a few more listens on its own. I think I just heard the four guitar solos, time signature and key change thing and came to unrealistic conclusions of what the song would be.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I agree that Fortress is a grower, though I'm not sure why. It didn't really register with me on my first couple of listens, but the more I listen to it the more it grows on me, and now I like it almost as much as I like Blackbird.

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

It seems like the kind of track that is among a lot of people's favourites but not many people's absolute favourite right now.

I don't think it's that similar to Blackbird except for being long and having an extended solo section. It's much heavier overall.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yeah, it's in a lot of peoples top five or six, from what I've seen. It's my number 4 right now. I think it's the closest in feel to Blackbird that they've done since.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

hahahahaha Arctic and I now share the same top 4.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Wow, who would've thought. :lol

wyrdo
Brand New Start

Post by wyrdo »

Fortress hasn't grabbed me yet but I've only given it a couple of listens. Lover has me right now, brilliant song!

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

Gonna have to buy it twice...I need that b-side from Best Buy and superior CD quality. Fuck iTunes.

wyrdo
Brand New Start

Post by wyrdo »

nagpo wrote:Gonna have to buy it twice...I need that b-side from Best Buy and superior CD quality. Fuck iTunes.
Yeah I need that bonus track, not sure how I'm going to get it in the UK. Be nice if they added it on iTunes or something.

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

I think I'm in the minority here, I love Fortress. It's probably my favorite on the album, aside from Addicted to Pain. The other tracks are growing on me, but I'm not sure I really enjoy them yet. I really dislike the guitar tones, I miss the lows from Mark and the mids from Myles. Sounds like the gain was cranked on this one. Much more raw. I'm hoping I'll enjoy the live tones much more!

I needed to edit this to say that I like Mark's lead tone alone. I love that he uses much less wah on here too. Unfortunately, his and Myles lead tones sound identical on first listen. I was only able to tell who was playing lead by their individual styles upon further listening
Last edited by PiggySmallz on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I love the part in All Ends Well right before the chorus. "Somewhere down the road" the way Myles sings this is awesome IMO

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Just helped my father in the garder and blasted Fortress through my bass amp. The basslines on this album are sooo awesome. Bleed It Dry's becoming a favourite too!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Coldschool
Brand New Start

Post by Coldschool »

AB23 wrote:I love the part in All Ends Well right before the chorus. "Somewhere down the road" the way Myles sings this is awesome IMO
I'm the same way. It definitely hits me pretty hard and I don't know why.

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

i've loved Fortress ever since my first listen, i think the Solo's badass and how it slows down either side of the solo. BIG FAN. i still stick to my top four though..

1. Calm the Fire
2. Waters Rising
3. Cry of Achilles
4. Fortress

YTKallDAY
Brand New Start

Post by YTKallDAY »

this album had a few parts that made me SCREAM with excitement. i am so happy today. i am so happy

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I've seen some people compare Fortress with Blackbird, but I actually think it sounds a lot more like Show Me A Sign (if you forget about the trashy breakdown). I like Fortress a lot better. I think the songwriting of that song is spectacular, but there are definitely some similarities with SMAS.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SchwiizVT12
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SchwiizVT12 »

Does the intro/chorus of "Bleed it dry" annoy anyone else on here? With the verse riff and the bridge that they have for the song I feel like those two don't really mesh very well.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Timotheus wrote:I've seen some people compare Fortress with Blackbird, but I actually think it sounds a lot more like Show Me A Sign (if you forget about the trashy breakdown). I like Fortress a lot better. I think the songwriting of that song is spectacular, but there are definitely some similarities with SMAS.
I was actually thinking it was the mutant spawn of the two of them earlier. Different parts remind me of both.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

The chorus of Fortress really grabs me and gets stuck in my head a lot, which admittedly could really be because it's the last song on the album, but it's a strong chorus. It reminds me of Words a bit, but it's a progression from that as well. Really great song. I haven't made a list of top songs but I think if I were to, this would be on the top half for sure.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

SchwiizVT12 wrote:Does the intro/chorus of "Bleed it dry" annoy anyone else on here? With the verse riff and the bridge that they have for the song I feel like those two don't really mesh very well.
Not for me no. I like it! :)