The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Re: The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

Post by phatnonphatness »

Maybe ABIII just wasn't all that good?

The general opinion on these boards is that it is overall the least liked album. Or at least the one people complain most about. If the hardcore fans don't care as much for it as the other two albums, surely the casual fan wouldn't be all that tempted to buy it?

In fact, I don't even think I have a copy of ABIII...

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

ABIII is one of my favourite albums. ODR my least favourite. Am I odd?

Daniel
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Daniel »

My fav is easily Blackbird. Hands down! AB III has alot of good songs as well so it comes in 2nd. ODR is awesome but Ive overplayed it so much that its lost its value compared to the other 2 lol

Daniel
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Daniel »

and BTW 24 days until FORTRESS...!!!

Alasdair
Brand New Start

Post by Alasdair »

They shouldn't change a single thing, because I trust in the musical direction they take themselves every time. Someone said stop trying to be a metal band because they're shit at it? Are you serious? Tremonti's metal riffs, combined with all the dynamics of this band are perfect. I thoroughly enjoy the dynamic, change and overall composition of every song they create, and appreciate the time and attentiveness they pour in to their music. My favourite album is all of their albums and I have no doubt in my mind I'll love Fortress. A lot of you need to open your tight musical assholes and look at the brand as a whole package instead of always picking it apart. I'll always support Alter Bridge because I respect the people behind the sound because they write music that talks. Not the recycles shit you usually hear these days.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

My problem with AB has only been when I feel they are doing what, they think, people want to hear rather than what really turns them on musically. I got that vibe from ABIII but, from the listening party and the interviews, I really don't get that from Fortress. They really seem to be enthusiastic about what they've done here. Music is always better when there's passion and enthusiasm. Damn the 'music business', whatever that is these days, there are other business models and god damnit they can't be doing badly if they're playing Wembley Arena (not quite Wembley Stadium though... yet).

AB have always been heavy and bridging the gap between rock and metal, that's their thing. I think once people actually hear the album and how natural it sound then they'll stop bitching or worrying about their genre or style. All that matters is how genuine the music is. I think that's always been the attraction, for me at least.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:ABIII is one of my favourite albums. ODR my least favourite. Am I odd?
Nope, I also rank them in reverse release order.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Cariocawlad
Bought The CDs

Post by Cariocawlad »

ABIII divided opinions. Even here in this forum. I loved the album, but I think that dark atmosphere and the conceptual format departed many consumers. The difference between it sales and Blackbird are too much.

And this 60.000 buyers are what we can call real fans (in USA). They are the loyal consumers that will buy every album that AB release. The rest are excited consumers that buy what is fresh and new (in that case the band that had Creed members second album).

That's my opinion.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Cariocawlad wrote:ABIII divided opinions. Even here in this forum. I loved the album, but I think that dark atmosphere and the conceptual format departed many consumers. The difference between it sales and Blackbird are too much.

And this 60.000 buyers are what we can call real fans (in USA). They are the loyal consumers that will buy every album that AB release. The rest are excited consumers that buy what is fresh and new (in that case the band that had Creed members second album).

That's my opinion.
Man, I really wished I had the opportunity to buy that album, when I had the chance, but I was in a darker place back then. Now, I'm in a better place and ready to buy this thing. Too bad, Best Buy does not have ABIII in stores.

WkdSelina
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WkdSelina »

Cariocawlad
Bought The CDs

Post by Cariocawlad »

anguyen92 wrote:
Cariocawlad wrote:ABIII divided opinions. Even here in this forum. I loved the album, but I think that dark atmosphere and the conceptual format departed many consumers. The difference between it sales and Blackbird are too much.

That's my opinion.
Man, I really wished I had the opportunity to buy that album, when I had the chance, but I was in a darker place back then. Now, I'm in a better place and ready to buy this thing. Too bad, Best Buy does not have ABIII in stores.
It happens. sometimes life throw us in a deep dark place just to prove ourselves that we can do better. And I'm not trying to generalize when I talk about the loyal thing. Please don't get me wrong.

And now click on that Amazon link and help AB sales! :rockon

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

I got my hopes up thinking there might be previews with that. Haha oh well. I'd love to own that on vinyl.

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

Actually I think ABIII has too much stuff going on at the same time, so many layers and intricacies that if you're not a guitarist you won't appreciate them and they make it harder for the average listener to digest the songs, at least that's my perception after talking to a few friends who aren't musicians and didn't like ABIII as much as the previous album. The tones aren't as good as well.

Blackbird sounds more "pure", on the other hand. It does sound like it's two guitars plugged into two amps, plus bass and drums, nothing else - whereas ODR has mainly one guitar as well. The sound is "cleaner".

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

I'm with you above me Marcos very complex music that alot of people either cant digest or just miss it and don't see what all the fuss is about however I have a mate who likes all music does not have a clue about any musical instruments and he loves AB second time seing them live after Nottingham this year he tells me Myles in unbelievable and loves how catchy the songs are and how they stick in your head and simply wont go.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I loved ABIII. At the time, I liked it almost more than Blackbird. For a band that wrote Rise Today and Before Tomorrow Comes, it was a refreshing change. These days, I love all three albums equally. I'm hoping Fortress blows them all out of the water.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: #obligatorymonthlyABpost

Post by zazthespaz »

I'm sure I would know about this, but just to double check, there aren't any deluxe versions of the album are there? No bonus tracks or giveaways?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Decay

Post by Decay »

No.. There's one bonus track, but it's still undecided whether if it's gonna be released or not... I guess not, lol

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Im okay with no bonus track. Complicates things too much.
Thanks Timo!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Darn. I was hoping for an On My Way Now "Sit Your Ass Down" re-mix.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I can see them release something like AB 3.5 with an extra bonus track and the Making Off Fortress.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.