Blackbird Tattoo Quote Idea

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Blackbird Tattoo Quote Idea

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Hey guys,

I've been planning on getting a tattoo of the Blackbird for a while, but can't really decide on a quote or a way to incorporate it into the bird. If you have any ideas, please but them down below.

Here's the sketch.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: Blackbird Tattoo Quote Idea

Post by AB4Lyfe »

And here's the story behind the tattoo.

September of 2010, my Grandpa died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). A few weeks after he died, I discovered the song "Blackbird." I immediately loved the song and as soon as I heard the live version (Live at Amsterdam), it became my favorite song. Whenever I hear a song I like, I look up the meaning and I found out that the song was about losing a loved one. I instantly thought about my Grandpa and how well this song connected with my current situation. This song got me through that hard time. I've always wanted to do something to honor my Grandpa and his memory, so I decided to get the Blackbird tattooed on me as a way of doing so.

zazisaspaz
On The Rail

Post by zazisaspaz »

maybe "someday I too will fly and find you again" or even simply "memories of you stay strong"

and while i think text would look good around the bird, i also think it'd be kinda awesome if you had a really good artist who could take whatever quote you choose and make it a part of the feathers

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

zazisaspaz wrote:"memories of you stay strong"
This would be cool because I haven't really seen a lot of people use this lyric by itself on Blackbird tattoos. Ultimately I would suggest choosing the lyrics that mean the most to you personally.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Words Darker Than Their Wings/ I wanna love, I wanna feel, FInd peace, Find the Real

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

"May the wind carry you home" is another great line from BB to remember someone.

For something as devastating as ALS, maybe "I'm glad he set you free from sorrow" from In Loving Memory. Or the best line from that song, "You're a part of me"

Good luck. And awesome avatar, btw.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Great ideas, thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with "the memories of you stay strong" and take Zazisaspaz's idea for somehow incorporating the words into the feathers. I don't know how I'll do that, but I'll have the artist help me. Again, thanks a bunch.

zazisaspaz
On The Rail

Post by zazisaspaz »

Happy I could help!
Sorry about your loss but it's very nice that you'll have your own personal way to honor your grandfather

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I've got "May You Never Be Broken Again" on the inside of my sleeve on my bicep, means alot to me as does the song. You're choosing right to get this song tattooed on you, i know exactly how much it means to you.

"Memories Of You Stay Strong" would be my next Blackbird quote tattoo, glad you're going with that! It's beautiful

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Now it's all just a matter of money. Sometimes, it's just not that fun being a poor college kid. I got a quote from the tattoo shop on my University's Ave, should be about $400 (going to be a big tattoo). I'll post a picture on this thread when it's complete.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

And there are better Blackbird image with a tail you can find bro

Like this one..

(apologies for quality, it's a PNG from google)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Pics when it's done!

Your grandfather must have been very special for you to do this, and he was very lucky to have a grandchild who would memorialize him like this. Good on you both.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Jim wrote:And there are better Blackbird image with a tail you can find bro
Thanks Jim, didn't even realize the one I posted didn't have a tail.
Your grandfather must have been very special for you to do this, and he was very lucky to have a grandchild who would memorialize him like this. Good on you both.
He was very special to me. It's difficult having only two adult male role models in life, and my Grandpa was one of them,, sometimes the only one because my Dad travels a lot for his business. This guy was a fighter. 2 Heart Attacks, Diabetes, and a stroke weren't enough to kill him, that's something that should be looked up to in my opinion.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Something else I'm considering is not even doing a quote from Blackbird. I'm stuck between two different quotes: "The memories of you stay strong" and "For the one's I've loved and lost," what Myles said in the middle of "In Loving Memory" from the Live From Amsterdam.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

That's more of a description of something than a lyric though... To have it tattooed on you, it would need to be a title or pre-title to something that would go with it surely..?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I've also lately been leaning towards "Some day I too will fly and find you again."

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Yeah i wanted that but my girlfriend at the time of my dad passing was like "NO DONT GET THAT ITS LIKE YOU WANNA DIE SOON AND BE WITH HIM!"

So I've kinda gone off that idea, even if it probably is my favourite part of my 2nd favourite song ever

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Not exactly part of the thread, but what is your favorite song ever?

But anyways, I'd personally be fine with that quote because it says "some day" and not "I wish." Also, it goes along with my whole believing in spirits thing. I don't necessarily believe in Heaven and Hell (gotta have some sort of evidence to support it), but more than that, I want to believe that dead spirits still roam the Earth and watch over us, I want to believe my Grandpa is sitting here next to me, and I think this quote kind of pertains to my whole "believing in spirits" thing.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Same as me bro, I'm a strong Atheist, but I definitely believe my Father is watching over me somewhere, where he is and I like the idea of seeing him again sometime. I'm sure I will, and I'm sure you'll see your Grandfather again one day, who knows where or when!

My favourite song of all time is Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror.