Listening to Addicted to Pain

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Listening to Addicted to Pain

Post by Ubik »

Another convert! Welcome to the party.
For all of the hope that it brings...

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Good to see you've come to your senses ;)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Told you it was a grower ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

So it's different to what I was expecting.

Not quite as generic as Isolation. The verses and Flip's drumming are sick! Myles' vocals sound pretty good too.

Not really digging the solo though. And the chorus is pretty weak too.

It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the album is like.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

The solo is one of Mark's best ever, can't believe the hate it's getting
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's not really getting hate. Some people only hate the first note, lol..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The end of the solo from when the rhythm cuts out is in my parallel universe top 5. "You broke your back she broke your heart" with Flip on the double bass is also in there.

Jack_The_Riffer
Bought The CDs

Post by Jack_The_Riffer »

I can't believe people aren't blow away by Mark's solo. It fits into the song incredibly well. You can tell he's really thought about what he's doing, the phrasing is excellent. It's miniture journey and the song wouldn't what it is without it.

Daniel
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Daniel »

Wasn't what I was really expecting. But thats a good thing! I want Alter Bridge to continue to evolve and surprise us with each album.

dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by dFhimz »

Definitely has a different vibe to it but it kicks some serious ass!
All I have to say is:
That BRIDGE.

...and that intro

and everything else.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Daniel wrote:Wasn't what I was really expecting. But thats a good thing! I want Alter Bridge to continue to evolve and surprise us with each album.
Exactly. No one was expecting this kind of song from these guys. Flip took some steroids and watched Garret play live.
Myles with barely any affects on his voice
And a solo from Mark that had no up/down hill legato from him (Which I love but gets old).

Mark's Solo kind of reminded me of Sevendust - Hope Ft. Tremonti with his balls to the wall kind of solo.
In AB3 he really didnt do any heavy really fast paced Solos. This is a good sign that he's going back to his routes!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

What's so good about Flip's drumming? I'm thinking I'm missing something, the drums definitely sound better, and they're much more upfront in the mix which is brilliant, but what he's playing is pretty simple double bass wise. I guess it's more difficult on the drums than your standard AB song. There's some cool subtle fills too.

I don't mean it to sound as negative as it does, but there must be something I haven't noticed yet :lol

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

BSC wrote: I guess it's more difficult on the drums than your standard AB song.
That's the essence of it. His playing on this track is a lot more dynamic than it usually is. Sounds as if he's upped his game.

Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

Post by Sunrunner1 »

Second listen. I think the chorus is starting to grow on me a bit more now. I still like the solo, but I think the "Cry Out" section just replaced it as my favorite part of the song. That part gives me chills. It's like the bridge in "Metalingus" only way more addictive. (sorry, I couldn't resist)
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

When I listen I hear comparisons to wicker man by iron maiden!! In the verse anyway

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

BSC wrote:What's so good about Flip's drumming? I'm thinking I'm missing something, the drums definitely sound better, and they're much more upfront in the mix which is brilliant, but what he's playing is pretty simple double bass wise. I guess it's more difficult on the drums than your standard AB song. There's some cool subtle fills too.

I don't mean it to sound as negative as it does, but there must be something I haven't noticed yet :lol
It's alot tighter overall. He's doing things in it I've never heard him do before.. It sounds like Garrett's smashing it out. Flip's never sounded so solid and metal.. Not to mention the production improvements on his sound has caught everyone's ears

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

benjoAB wrote:When I listen I hear comparisons to wicker man by iron maiden!! In the verse anyway
Huh, never noticed that, but I hear it now. Good call! I always though the solo from Ties that Bind was also a lot like a Maiden song.

After a ton of listens, I love the whole song. My favorite part is the guitar solo by a long shot - I think it's definitely one of Tremonti's best. It fits the song, which is something that doesn't always happen. It also has a melody to it; it's not just shred to be shredding, which is important to me. Love that last little lick in the solo where the other instruments cut out.
I think my least favorite part is the chorus, because it's just sort of radio-generic with the melody and lyrics. That's okay though, it needs to be if it's going to be a single. That's how I felt about Isolation too, and it did pretty well on the charts. Hopefully this'll be a repeat.
:yeahthat

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

BSC wrote:What's so good about Flip's drumming? I'm thinking I'm missing something, the drums definitely sound better, and they're much more upfront in the mix which is brilliant, but what he's playing is pretty simple double bass wise. I guess it's more difficult on the drums than your standard AB song. There's some cool subtle fills too.

I don't think it's so much that what he's playing is technically difficult or anything, but what he's playing is different from what he has done in the past, fits the song so well, and just in general makes the song sound better.

vmt7007
TABN.com Citizen

Post by vmt7007 »

Myles with barely any affects on his voice
Been the one thing I have never understood about AB.

I think it is also why he was under the radar for so long where most people didn't even realize he was one of the best vocalists in rock.

The guy has an amazing voice, and for the most part up until now he is usually buried in the mix and loaded up with effects. It's like replacing a Ferrari engine with a Ford Pinto's and it largely didn't help the band as they were not maximizing arguably their greatest asset.

It is refreshing to hear him up in the mix unencumbered by layers of un-necessary effects. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come for the album as a whole.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Disagree, people that listen to the band for the first time are, with a select few exceptions, always very impressed with Myles' vocals.