Official "The Last Hero" Thread (pre-release discussion)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Official "The Last Hero" Thread

Post by WaywardOne »

I definitely see the comparisons to White Knuckles, Cry a River and The Cage, but I was surprised that this song feels very similar to Show Me a Leader (without the intro, of course). The more I listen, the more parts feel related throughout the song. It's fun, it's got good energy.... not the greatest but it's a solid tune.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Arctic wrote:Just saying I doubt most Americans on this board prefer stuff like My Champion compared to their better songs. Maybe people who listen to pop radio, but not fans of the band.
But is the idea that fans want something both lighthearted like my champion or long and epic like blackbird or fortress that out of reach?

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Dolo wrote:
Raven wrote:Im surprised no1 has brought up how similar the opening riff of Poison sounds so much like White knuckles
More like Cry a River.
I Don't hear that……..like at all ????

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Ubik wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Poison In Your Veins Lyrics
How long will you cower down
Until you come to see
That courage is the higher ground
That change is destiny
The holy wars
You dare to win
Without fear and no remorse
The time has come to rise again
You were meant to be much more
Somehow
Somehow
Sounds different to "higher ground" to me, but can't work out what he's saying. Hollow?
"That changes destiny
That only those who dare to win
Let no fear have no remorse"
Pretty sure he says higher ground, but I hear 'that only those who' now. And the correction for the other line. Thanks, Ubik!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Raven wrote:
Dolo wrote:
Raven wrote:Im surprised no1 has brought up how similar the opening riff of Poison sounds so much like White knuckles
More like Cry a River.
Our ears differ. I don't hear Knuckles at all, but rhythm and drum-wise it has a strong Cry Me a River vibe.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Dolo wrote:
Raven wrote:
Dolo wrote:
More like Cry a River.
Our ears differ. I don't hear Knuckles at all, but rhythm and drum-wise it has a strong Cry Me a River vibe.
Oh ok I'm mostly talking about the opening guitar riff though

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Okay, I just listened through Poison In My Veins. Again, not really a fan of it. All of the new stuff feels like "Alter Bridge light" to me. Where are the amazing bridges and riffs? What happened to the heavy side of AB?

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Mr. Slash wrote:Okay, I just listened through Poison In My Veins. Again, not really a fan of it. All of the new stuff feels like "Alter Bridge light" to me. Where are the amazing bridges and riffs? What happened to the heavy side of AB?
Comment
Last edited by Ashlee on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Yet again...

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Mr. Slash wrote:Okay, I just listened through Poison In My Veins. Again, not really a fan of it. All of the new stuff feels like "Alter Bridge light" to me. Where are the amazing bridges and riffs? What happened to the heavy side of AB?
I get the "rinse-repeat" feeling (and "light", too), like they were trying so hard to please everyone on these few songs with a Fortress-like middle ground, but I think they were kinda off mark there, at least from what I've heard so far, this is neither a pleasing amount of heavy/progressiveness/new sound nor a throwback kind of sound to their ODR/BB days. I hope it won't end up dividing their fan base. With these songs it doesn't feel like they've evolved at all since Fortress which makes me sad to hear.

Granted, they aren't bad, I just had higher expectations I guess.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Lotha wrote:
I get the "rinse-repeat" feeling (and "light", too), like they were trying so hard to please everyone on these few songs with a Fortress-like middle ground, but I think they were kinda off mark there, at least from what I've heard so far, this is neither a pleasing amount of heavy/progressiveness/new sound nor a throwback kind of sound to their ODR/BB days. I hope it won't end up dividing their fan base. With these songs it doesn't feel like they've evolved at all since Fortress which makes me sad to hear.

Oh ye of little faith :P

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Jana for #BiggestHypeKiller2016

Lotha
Colloquial

I vow to end all hype

Post by Lotha »

Hype is bad, kids! :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: I vow to end all hype

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lotha wrote:Hype is bad, kids! :lol
So this is your tactic? Try and remove all hype pre-release for yourself so when you finally hear the record you might (key word being might here :P ) actually be surprised at how much you like it?

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Lotha wrote:

You are so spot on.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Lotha wrote:Hype is bad, kids! :lol
So this is your tactic? Try and remove all hype pre-release for yourself so when you finally hear the record you might (key word being might here :P ) actually be surprised at how much you like it?
That usually works better than OMGTHISISGONNABESOAWESOME thing that I tend to do sometimes.

I did check that review. There was one thing for one song that worried me, "business as usual", see, I really don't want business as usual and I hope it doesn't apply to majority of songs. Though it does for the ones I've heard so far.

Edit: and yeah, Jaded, I'd say I'm glad you agree, but I almost wish nobody would agree with me when it comes to this, don't wanna be right.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Poison is amazing. I absolutely love the chorus. It's not really the type of song I expect to love that much from Alter Bridge, but woo! "Release the poison in your veins" is a great line.

Oh, and the intro kinda reminds me of Creed's Fear.

The Other Side is pretty great as well. Pretty brutal lyrics. I know this song was probably inspired by ISIS, but I'm not sure if many Christians would be happy with lyrics like that. Love the chorus riff. It kinda reminds me of Muse's Supremacy riff, but without the Kashmir rhythm. And like Chtimixeur said, the riff/melody in the bridge is really cool. Minus points for the use of the word "deny" though.
Last edited by Timotheus on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Timotheus wrote:Minus points for the use of the word "deny" though.
Haha, did he? I wallowed in my negativity so much I failed to notice that :P

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Lotha wrote:Edit: and yeah, Jaded, I'd say I'm glad you agree, but I almost wish nobody would agree with me when it comes to this, don't wanna be right.
Same here. It's an unfortunate truth right now, to me at least. I never thought of it in exactly the way you put it but it all feels "safe". I want AB to tread new ground, and that doesn't simply mean getting heavier or more progressive.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Haha I saw it too when shea was spelling the lyrics out. He said in an interview that 'rise' was one of his lyrical pitfalls, but he really can't deny his deny-fetish anymore... ;)

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Jaded Rescue wrote:I want AB to tread new ground, and that doesn't simply mean getting heavier or more progressive.
Exactly. I'm used to my favorite bands evolving in sound significantly from album to album - it's why they stay favorite bands. I feel people even on this board tend to polarize the issue too much, like it's either heavy or it's not evolution, and it's not what I have in mind. On Fortress we had some very different songs that did not sound like anything they've ever done and they were not all 'more of the same' (and weren't that heavy either - Lover comes to mind, for example). It's simply what I'm hoping for, for TLH as well.