Difference

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Difference

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, currently watching AB at Wembley, and I decided to watch the fan footage of it instead of the DVD and the first thing I notice is that Myles' voice is so much smoother than the proshot footage they used in the DVD. The thing that got me mumbling about the DVD is that his voice was so much forced, but from the fan footage, the tone was so much natural and not as forced. Still not as awesome as 2008 and before, but still very appealing.

Also, the DVD should have included the parts before they played Metalingus when Myles said "Stand Up and Shout" and Mark kinda botched his guitar intro to it. I kind of feel robbed after hearing the fan footage compared to DVD.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/374AivrbS1A[/youtube]

Something to add on when comparing Live From Amsterdam to Wembley.

Decay

Post by Decay »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, currently watching AB at Wembley, and I decided to watch the fan footage of it instead of the DVD and the first thing I notice is that Myles' voice is so much smoother than the proshot footage they used in the DVD. The thing that got me mumbling about the DVD is that his voice was so much forced, but from the fan footage, the tone was so much natural and not as forced. Still not as awesome as 2008 and before, but still very appealing.

Also, the DVD should have included the parts before they played Metalingus when Myles said "Stand Up and Shout" and Mark kinda botched his guitar intro to it. I kind of feel robbed after hearing the fan footage compared to DVD.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/374AivrbS1A[/youtube]

Something to add on when comparing Live From Amsterdam to Wembley.
Yes, exactly.
DC3 sucks.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Hahaha man i loved that! "someone who wears leather chaps every night, mr Scott Phillips.."

I lost my video of that, good to see it again! I also enjoy Mark's reaction when his guitar sounds like total shit.. Like a whole bodypalm moment.. Not a :facepalm moment... A bodypalm moment

guitarkid78
Brand New Start

Post by guitarkid78 »

I've been lurking for a while, but I re-created my old account from years ago, just to post on this topic. I just wanted to reminisce a little bit about when I first joined these boards. When I found this place, it was this giant wealth of information and good feelings. It was this band and these boards against the world. I remember asking about Mark's shoes (I was 15 at the time...), and the annoyed, yet polite responses I got back (I did end up finding a pair of Adidas Superstars with the same color scheme a few years ago). I remember reading about the Living Things incident, waiting for Michael's posts, watching them play the MLB All-Star game and Mark's interview from the celebrity game (I'd love to see that video again if anyone has it), searching the lost Find the Real video from Boston, and constantly battling my friends that Alter Bridge was more than Creed and that Mark Tremonti was a great guitar player. Us against the world.

I think the board split after Rise Today. It split into the Loyalists vs. Those Who Wanted More from the band they loved so much. It still seems like the whole fanbase is still like that to this day. There was the conflict with Scarecrow/Dwight Schrute (the guy was funny and held on to his convictions; no one can take that away), those who battled Michael, the bickering over seemingly pointless things. The Creed reunion made it so it was the fanbase vs each other.

With the advent of Twitter, I came here less and less. I've gone back to lurking every now and again, and I have to say, it looks like the boards have improved a lot. But it's weird how those difficult days where there was no official source for information, and my brothers and I were the Alter Bridge fans I knew were good days. Us against the world. This band is a great live band. I agree the DVD's don't do them enough justice. They're loose and funny in person. Great guys. Sorry for the huge, slightly off topic post. I just wanted to share the differences I experienced.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

i dont know why you lurk, cuz that was a helluva 1st post

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

yeah keep it up. Curious though why do you think it changed after Rise Today?

guitarkid78
Brand New Start

Post by guitarkid78 »

AB23 wrote:i dont know why you lurk, cuz that was a helluva 1st post
Thank you! Honestly, when I was younger, I was trying to up my post count, and I made some stupid thread once that pretty much got shredded. I was too embarrassed after that, and limited what I said.
Cthree922012 wrote:yeah keep it up. Curious though why do you think it changed after Rise Today?
You know, I'm not sure. Rise Today is a good song, in my opinion, but I think a lot of people expected more from the first single for Blackbird. We had gone through a period where Alter Bridge essentially disappeared aside from touring. There was no real website, the Myspace page was dormant, Twitter and Facebook weren't like they are now. All we had was YouTube and Michael's posts (aside from the lucky ones who got to see the shows). The hype built and built. We got to see The Ties That Bind, Come to Life, and Buried Alive in their early stages, and Brand New Start and Wayward One from the Foxwoods acoustic gig. I think a lot of people wanted the single to be like one of those songs: heavy and emotional or softer and, for lack of another word, emotional. Rise Today is a pretty standard rocker. The bickering just escalated from there.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Rise Today is definitely a standard rock song (not saying it in a negative way). Kind of reminds me of Open Your Eyes in a way.

I think in each album they push for unique and artistic but I do think they have at least 1 song that can be labeled as a "Radio HIt"

ODR - Open Your Eyes
BB- Rise Today
AB3- Isolation

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

if you get shredded again for making a thread talk to me. im pretty much a god around these parts

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

lol All Hail AB23 :peace

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AB23 wrote:if you get shredded again for making a thread talk to me. im pretty much a god around these parts
:shifty
guitarkid78 wrote:
AB23 wrote:i dont know why you lurk, cuz that was a helluva 1st post
Thank you! Honestly, when I was younger, I was trying to up my post count, and I made some stupid thread once that pretty much got shredded. I was too embarrassed after that, and limited what I said.
Cthree922012 wrote:yeah keep it up. Curious though why do you think it changed after Rise Today?
Stick around man! There's no such thing as a dumb thread here anymore! Unless you're Josiah
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

guitarkid78
Brand New Start

Post by guitarkid78 »

Haha thanks, everyone. It'll be nice to talk to some fellow fans to gear up for the new album. This band is still very much a part of who I am.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

This direction they go in for the new album is gonna be interesting to say the least...hard to believe it's almost been 3 years since getting any new music from these guys.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Cthree922012 wrote:Rise Today is definitely a standard rock song (not saying it in a negative way). Kind of reminds me of Open Your Eyes in a way.

I think in each album they push for unique and artistic but I do think they have at least 1 song that can be labeled as a "Radio HIt"

ODR - Open Your Eyes
BB- Rise Today
AB3- Isolation
Isolation doesn't really sound like a typical radio hit imo (besides the chorus). It was a very risky move, but it paid off. I wish AB took more risks like that..

And welcome (back), Guitarkid :cheers
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I always thought the safe one off ABIII was Ghost of Days Gone By, aside from the bridge being a bit different. Maybe Wonderful Life, but that was butchered when they released it.

I'd say it's pretty likely they've taken note of how successful Isolation was and the first single from the next album will be of a similar vein. Fingers crossed they can match that bridge...
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Ubik wrote:I always thought the safe one off ABIII was Ghost of Days Gone By, aside from the bridge being a bit different. Maybe Wonderful Life, but that was butchered when they released it.

I'd say it's pretty likely they've taken note of how successful Isolation was and the first single from the next album will be of a similar vein. Fingers crossed they can match that bridge...
Good thought. It'll be interesting to see what the first single sounds like, and it may give us a clue if they are pushing more for airplay and accessibility with AB4, or if they are just venturing off in their own direction with less (intentional) focus on what is likely to hit.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

jeffro5422
Brand New Start

Post by jeffro5422 »

guitarkid78 wrote:I've been lurking for a while, but I re-created my old account from years ago, just to post on this topic. I just wanted to reminisce a little bit about when I first joined these boards. When I found this place, it was this giant wealth of information and good feelings. It was this band and these boards against the world. I remember asking about Mark's shoes (I was 15 at the time...), and the annoyed, yet polite responses I got back (I did end up finding a pair of Adidas Superstars with the same color scheme a few years ago). I remember reading about the Living Things incident, waiting for Michael's posts, watching them play the MLB All-Star game and Mark's interview from the celebrity game (I'd love to see that video again if anyone has it), searching the lost Find the Real video from Boston, and constantly battling my friends that Alter Bridge was more than Creed and that Mark Tremonti was a great guitar player. Us against the world.

I think the board split after Rise Today. It split into the Loyalists vs. Those Who Wanted More from the band they loved so much. It still seems like the whole fanbase is still like that to this day. There was the conflict with Scarecrow/Dwight Schrute (the guy was funny and held on to his convictions; no one can take that away), those who battled Michael, the bickering over seemingly pointless things. The Creed reunion made it so it was the fanbase vs each other.

With the advent of Twitter, I came here less and less. I've gone back to lurking every now and again, and I have to say, it looks like the boards have improved a lot. But it's weird how those difficult days where there was no official source for information, and my brothers and I were the Alter Bridge fans I knew were good days. Us against the world. This band is a great live band. I agree the DVD's don't do them enough justice. They're loose and funny in person. Great guys. Sorry for the huge, slightly off topic post. I just wanted to share the differences I experienced.

Without a doubt man. I'm an old schooler too and I remember those days well.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I agree, I miss the "us against the world" vibe of the early days. Honestly, in a lot of ways, I still feel that way. AB is bigger now, but they've never quite broken into that "rock radio mainstay" status with bands like Stone Sour, Foo Fighters, Theory of a Deadman, Shinedown, etc. And even more maddening is that, with the exception of Isolation, they still seem to struggle to find a piece of the mainstream rock pie when all sorts of "new" relatively unknown bands are coming out of nowhere - your Volbeats and your Imagine Dragonses and your Escape The Fates and whatnot. Actually, looking at the top 40 right now, since I don't have a rock station to listen to actively anymore in my area, I don't even recognize half of the bands on that list.

But, AB has most definitely come a long way since the ODR days. And the fanbase has grown by pretty incredible numbers. This board may not always reflect it or be hopping like mad, but like you said, with the advent of Twitter, and other social media, the demand for forums like this just isn't there like it used to be. It's a pretty solid testament to the loyalty of said fanbase that we stay as active as we do here. But I agree, there's a definite split in the fans and their reactions / expectations of the band. I still feel like I'm on the "us vs. them" side of things, where I feel like an ambassador for the band to the rest of the world, that I want to put their best face forward and advertise for them (and maybe being an admin here plays into that feeling). I don't see them as just another band that I can take or leave, I see them as MY band (or, really, OUR band, but y'know), and a band I feel the need and desire to go to bat for at any given opportunity.

I think it boils down to the attitude of "What can I do for the band?" vs. "What can the band do for me?" And both are valid, and both are needed. Takes all kinds to make the world go round, and all of that. But it is two completely different mindsets, and I think that's where much of the conflict or clashing in opinions around here comes from.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

guitarkid78 wrote:Haha thanks, everyone. It'll be nice to talk to some fellow fans to gear up for the new album. This band is still very much a part of who I am.
Hey buddy good to see ya!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote:I agree, I miss the "us against the world" vibe of the early days. Honestly, in a lot of ways, I still feel that way.
I think it boils down to the attitude of "What can I do for the band?" vs. "What can the band do for me?" And both are valid, and both are needed. Takes all kinds to make the world go round, and all of that. But it is two completely different mindsets, and I think that's where much of the conflict or clashing in opinions around here comes from.
I still look at it from the former "What can I do" perspective. Remember those dogpiles voting for WOY on the VH1 countdown? That was cool. Our little army of AB fans holding our own with the big dogs like Adele and Britney Spears and Beyoncé.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die