Fortress song meanings

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
DeathCl0ck
Brand New Start

Re: Fortress song meanings

Post by DeathCl0ck »

Not sure if this really has a place here, but after listening to second skin for the first time, the song "White Flag" bears an almost lyrical dichotomy with "Lover".

When you listen to both of them back to back it sounds like Lover could be the unofficial sequel to White Flag.

If so, tis would be a pretty tragic tale. Or at least that's how I like to see it in my own mind.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Oh lol yeah that's a much more specific and less "troll-ish(?)" interpretation. I could see how the lyrics can be viewed that way, and I don't think my view is any more right then yours (because like I said music can be pretty open to multiple versions sometimes) but I take a darker and line-by-line approach at it (maybe because Myles has said it's a pretty dark song anyways? idk)....I also cheated by getting someone elses input on the song meaning to strengthen mine so may be a mix of two interpretations.....

If you deny the wounds of your lover you will discover (The protagonist cheated on his wife but he didn’t see it as an issue; he doesn't believe he did anything wrong)
That what you had is shattered and wasted (she left him; the relationship is over)
Did you have to take it so far? (did she have to resort to leaving him?)

The truth exposed and love is devoured (she found out about the affair; the relationship is over)
And the ivory tower is coming down (ivory tower symbolizes marriage/relationship - ending)
A vow betrayed and honor is broken (he cheated and betrayed the marriage vows)
The wounds are open and bleeding out (he’s emotionally distressed about the break-up)

But it’s all I can do to carry on (but he’s still choosing to live with the consequences)
It brings all I fear to life (he feared the idea that his relationship would come to an end)

If you deny the wounds of your lover you will discover
That what you had is shattered and wasted
Did you have to take it so far?

Should you have to throw it all away? (does she have to end this relationship?)
Did you have to shove it in my face? (did she have to emphasize the fact he cheated?)
Did you have to tear my world apart? (the relationships end is extremely painful for him)
Did you have to take so selfishly? (did she have to only think about her feelings?)
No matter how you hurt the ones you need? (he still thinks she needs him in her life)
Did you have to fall so very far? (did she have to resort to that option of leaving him?)

The trigger’s warm, the chamber is loaded (literal = he has a gun and is considering suicide or homicide /metaphorical = actions are being taken to do something about all this)
Lost in the moment. What went wrong? (still doesn’t understand how all of this came to be)
There’s nothing left this house has been broken (the relationship is over; cant be saved)
But still I’m holding, I’m holding on (he still doesn’t accept that; he feels there’s hope)

(chorus x 2)
(Now that you've gone so far, can you live with what you've done & who you are) (protagonist asking himself if he can live with the choices he’s made and the person he’s become as a result of those choices)

You can see it in your love
The wounds are open and I’m bleeding out (metaphorical = he again emphasizes his sorrows after the break-up or result of his actions taken after the break-up/literal = he fatally injured himself to commit suicide and is dying from his injuries)
It’s so real (the pain is definitely alive and well; can’t possibly be over-reacted)
(Now that you've gone so far, can you live with what you've done & who you are)

(chorus)
(Now that you've gone so far, can you live with what you've done & who you are)

Anything people could add or help make this thought process more clearer would be great, though :)
Completely WRONG. The protagonist has been cheated on. Its HIS wounds, not HERS. Your interpretation makes no sense.
Hey can't blame my dad for trying :lol . This is honestly mostly his interpretation. I asked him about the song one day because it's the only one on the album that wasn't clear to me and I guess he saw it as the protagonist was the cheater. I initially viewed it as the protag was the one cheated on, too. So HIS interpretation makes no sense :/

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Oh come on, you can't tell someone their interpretation is wrong, it's their own and therefore can't be wrong. It COULD be so, based on the explanation, it's not too far fetched (and I've seen a lot of far-fetched song interpretations that made sense to people), so you can't really say it's wrong, only that you interpret it differently.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lotha wrote:Oh come on, you can't tell someone their interpretation is wrong, it's their own and therefore can't be wrong. It COULD be so, based on the explanation, it's not too far fetched (and I've seen a lot of far-fetched song interpretations that made sense to people), so you can't really say it's wrong, only that you interpret it differently.
Thanks, Lotha! Like I said before I posted it, too; I don't think it is more or less right than anyone elses interpretation, either. Just taking a shot....the triggers warm and the chamber is loaded, too :lol

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

Lotha wrote:Oh come on, you can't tell someone their interpretation is wrong, it's their own and therefore can't be wrong. It COULD be so, based on the explanation, it's not too far fetched (and I've seen a lot of far-fetched song interpretations that made sense to people), so you can't really say it's wrong, only that you interpret it differently.
I think I can, since I am right. The lyrics are way TOO obvious to have multiple meanings. We may speak different languages but the meaning of the words are the same.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Thanks, Lotha! Like I said before I posted it, too; I don't think it is more or less right than anyone elses interpretation, either.
Exactly, it can't be right or wrong, who decides that? Only Myles could tell us what was the initial idea behind the lyrics, and he won't, because having different interpretations is good, and makes the lyrics more relatable (okay, native English speakers, does this word exist? I'm pretty sure it does but it gets that red underline, am I just spelling it wrong? Thank you).
LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:I think I can, since I am right. The lyrics are way TOO obvious to have multiple meanings. We may speak differnt languages but the meaning of the words are the same.
They're not that obvious. Does he say anywhere "you cheated on me you bitch"? No. We don't know for sure what's causing the crash of the relationship and it's open to interpretation.

For example my interpretation is that it's about many small "offenses" in a relationship piling up and tearing it apart.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:
I think I can, since I am right. The lyrics are way TOO obvious to have multiple meanings. We may speak different languages but the meaning of the words are the same.
You're probably right about my dad being wrong, but then why would Myles go out of his way to say that he wants to see if the fans can piece the story of the song together if it's as obvious as you say it is. Kind of makes me think there's more to it. :/

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:I think I can, since I am right. The lyrics are way TOO obvious to have multiple meanings. We may speak different languages but the meaning of the words are the same.
Like that time you said Ubik was wrong, even though he repeated what Mark and Myles said in an interview?

Even a song like Blackbird can be interpreted differently.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Timotheus wrote:
LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:I think I can, since I am right. The lyrics are way TOO obvious to have multiple meanings. We may speak different languages but the meaning of the words are the same.
Like that time you said Ubik was wrong, even though he repeated what Mark and Myles said in an interview?

Even a song like Blackbird can be interpreted differently.
Yes.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lotha wrote:[(okay, native English speakers, does this word exist? I'm pretty sure it does but it gets that red underline, am I just spelling it wrong? Thank you).
It's spelt that way according to the internetz.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Lotha wrote:[(okay, native English speakers, does this word exist? I'm pretty sure it does but it gets that red underline, am I just spelling it wrong? Thank you).
It's spelt that way according to the internetz.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Lotha wrote: Thanks :)
You're welcome :)

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Lotha wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Thanks, Lotha! Like I said before I posted it, too; I don't think it is more or less right than anyone elses interpretation, either.
Exactly, it can't be right or wrong, who decides that? Only Myles could tell us what was the initial idea behind the lyrics, and he won't, because having different interpretations is good, and makes the lyrics more relatable (okay, native English speakers, does this word exist? I'm pretty sure it does but it gets that red underline, am I just spelling it wrong? Thank you).
LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:I think I can, since I am right. The lyrics are way TOO obvious to have multiple meanings. We may speak differnt languages but the meaning of the words are the same.
They're not that obvious. Does he say anywhere "you cheated on me you bitch"? No. We don't know for sure what's causing the crash of the relationship and it's open to interpretation.

For example my interpretation is that it's about many small "offenses" in a relationship piling up and tearing it apart.
Well, Its not my fault that you didnt understand well the lyrics. I cannot be blamed for that. Now... you are free to accept any meaning you want. I am a writer and I know what I am talking about. I know what Myles tried to do with this album. :)

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:Well, Its not my fault that you didnt understand well the lyrics. I cannot be blamed for that. Now... you are free to accept any meaning you want. I am a writer and I know what I am talking about. I know what Myles tried to do with this album. :)

Why can't Myles ust cast me a line here? I'm drowning trying to figure out the official meaning behind the song...I wouldn't turn my back on him if he did, either.... :shifty :lol

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:Well, Its not my fault that you didnt understand well the lyrics. I cannot be blamed for that. Now... you are free to accept any meaning you want. I am a writer and I know what I am talking about. I know what Myles tried to do with this album. :)

Why can't Myles ust cast me a line here? I'm drowning trying to figure out the official meaning behind the song...I wouldn't turn my back on him if he did, either.... :shifty :lol
When I didnt have the correct lyrics I was tricked too.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:
Lotha wrote:

Well, Its not my fault that you didnt understand well the lyrics. I cannot be blamed for that. Now... you are free to accept any meaning you want. I am a writer and I know what I am talking about. I know what Myles tried to do with this album. :)
I'm also a writer and know what I'm talking about. Shall we fight about who's better?
Now seriously, I'm not arguing that I am right, as you are, so we are not on the same track here. I'm just saying you can't claim exclusive right to the understanding of the song lyrics. And you can't really know what Myles tried to do, specifically, unless he tells you. It doesn't mean you know everything just because you also happen to write.

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Lotha wrote:
LadyJuliaJoanne wrote:
Lotha wrote:

I'm also a writer and know what I'm talking about. Shall we fight about who's better?
Now seriously, I'm not arguing that I am right, as you are, so we are not on the same track here. I'm just saying you can't claim exclusive right to the understanding of the song lyrics. And you can't really know what Myles tried to do, specifically, unless he tells you. It doesn't mean you know everything just because you also happen to write.
I'm not claiming anything. I simply know.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

You claim that you know. If we're going to be nitpicking here.

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Lotha wrote:You claim that you know. If we're going to be nitpicking here.
Right.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I know too. What now?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.