The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

Post by austinjhnsn »

I don't know if they should feel stupid stupid for writing that review, or if I should for not getting what they were going for :facepalm . Either way, nice to know that they liked the album.
Thanks Timo!

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

dFhimz wrote:Interesting review from the Rolling Stones website...

"Alter Bridge: Fortress (Roadrunner) Best known for being Creed without that lead singer guy, Alter Bridge return here with their fourth album, and it’s a power-packed monster! Featuring Myles Kennedy on vocals, Mark Tremoniti on guitar, Brian Marshall on bass and Scott Phillips on drums, the direly underrated quartet again continue their quest to change the age-old rules of that much-loved card game! Opening track “Cry Of Achilles” bemoans the status of lower-ranked suits Diamonds and Clubs—heartlessly called “minor suits”—and the overall notion of “accepted” levels of bidding! The powerful “Bleed It Dry” decries opening leaders who make the lead to the first trick but would rather be anywhere but stuck in some Midwest dump playing cards! Later, over croissants, bundt cake and fruit punch, the guys conclude with rockers “All Ends Well” and “Fortress” and promise they’ll “take no prisoners” at next week’s game! Outside, a car skids, a police siren shrieks in the distance, but with that luscious bucket of potato salad sitting there, who cares? Yes they rock like crazy!"
I think this post just gave me cancer.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

What the fuck did I just read? That was the most scatter-brained review I've ever read on any album.

erv
Bought The CDs

Post by erv »

It's like the review in the sane is for great and the all story is going rating it stars that many are with the guitar great very.

:headscratch

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

erv wrote:It's like the review in the sane is for great and the all story is going rating it stars that many are with the guitar great very.

:headscratch
Exactly.

Honestly, what a ridiculous piece of crap for a professional journalist to put out.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I've finally seen my actual CD cover, and I really like it! Red's nowhere near as bright as on the online images and the paper is nice and unglossy. I take back all the nasty things I said!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Everyday I have a different track from this album stuck in my head. So many memorable moments.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Andy92 wrote:Everyday I have a different track from this album stuck in my head. So many memorable moments.
This.
It's such a dreamy record and I can't seem to get sick of it!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Finally got my copy of the album today. It's been out for a few days but I'm an unemployed bum - so it's taken me a little while to get it.

I was in HMV though and I noticed that there were a couple of CD's where the font was orange instead of red, and one where the font was a darker red. I don't know, I thought it was interesting :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Weird! Mine looks like the top right (minus sticker).
For all of the hope that it brings...

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

I'd get a copy of the orange one. Might be a weird misprint.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Fortress came in the mail :)

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Kind of a weird story. I go running 3-4 times a week. I have half of the album on my mp3 player. I listen to the song Fortress alot.

Some old friends of mine and my wife are having problems. He has jealousy issues (never marry an overly beautiful woman, lol), and the relationship is totally falling apart. Every line in that song is kind of haunting. Because we all know how the song ends.

I have another friend who is in a relationship with a woman who is openly cheating on him, and he doesn't care. And every time I hear Addicted To Pain, I shake my head. Funny how this album is reminding me of things.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

In Cry of Achilles, does the lower harmony catch your attention more or does the higher harmony? In the first verse right after the intro the lower harmony seems to catch my attention, and during the chorus the higher harmony seems to be more ear catching... But I've heard others say otherwise. I was just thinking about this after watching the Cry of Achilles video from Orlando... All this self harmonizing seems to make things harder live.
Thanks Timo!

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

One Drew Remains wrote:Kind of a weird story. I go running 3-4 times a week. I have half of the album on my mp3 player. I listen to the song Fortress alot.

Some old friends of mine and my wife are having problems. He has jealousy issues (never marry an overly beautiful woman, lol), and the relationship is totally falling apart. Every line in that song is kind of haunting. Because we all know how the song ends.

I have another friend who is in a relationship with a woman who is openly cheating on him, and he doesn't care. And every time I hear Addicted To Pain, I shake my head. Funny how this album is reminding me of things.
This is my favorite thing about Alter Bridge. This is why they will forever be my favorite band. They always find a way to make the listener feel like they're not alone in whatever they're experiencing. Often times when people are depressed they'll sit and wallow with a "woe is me, this could only happen to me" attitude. That was where I was. Then I listened to Alter Bridge and they made me realize I wasn't the only one who felt bad, and that there was hope in the future. It's a different song for different people at different times but I know for a fact we've all had this connection to the band. For me it was Coming Home when I was 14 that saved me from doing something terrible. Since then other songs have helped me through tough times (we all have our In Loving Memory/Wonderful Life stories) but Coming Home was the one that helped me turn my life around.

I love this band. Plain and simple.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I don't know If I'm crazy for saying this but is anyone else disappointed by the lack of high notes from Myles and backing vocals from Mark on Fortress? I know they said they where trying different things on the record and that Myles is "tired of singing high shit because has to pull on his balls" and everything, but I felt that those were the things I missed pretty quickly. That and there was just a bit too much vocal effects on some songs, IMO.

And did Myles ever say why he doesn't sing in his ODR register on AB tracks anymore? I kind of miss it but at least there's always ODR to listen to if I really need to hear it.

couple more thing for a 4-parter question, but what song has the fastest BPM on Fortress and ODR? and is SMAS considered the "epic" of AB3 or does AB3 even have a song they can classify as an epic? I'm categorizing the AB discography right now and I was undecided on those things.

Decay

Post by Decay »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I don't know If I'm crazy for saying this but is anyone else disappointed by the lack of high notes from Myles and backing vocals from Mark on Fortress? I know they said they where trying different things on the record and that Myles is "tired of singing high shit because has to pull on his balls" and everything, but I felt that those were the things I missed pretty quickly. That and there was just a bit too much vocal effects on some songs, IMO.

And did Myles ever say why he doesn't sing in his ODR register on AB tracks anymore? I kind of miss it but at least there's always ODR to listen to if I really need to hear it.

couple more thing for a 4-parter question, but what song has the fastest BPM on Fortress and ODR? and is SMAS considered the "epic" of AB3 or does AB3 even have a song they can classify as an epic? I'm categorizing the AB discography right now and I was undecided on those things.
Yeah, there's definitely a lack of Myles' high notes. I thought there was gonna be a shitload of 'em 'cause it's his signature. But I don't mind. They've tried new thing with Fortress, so it's all good, for me anyways.

EDIT: Well, yeah, SMAS and WDTTW are considered as epic and they truly are. Amazing tunes. Love 'em.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't really see both songs as 'epics' but I see where you're coming from.

About the high notes.. I don't really mind. Live he usually sings around it anyway.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Water's Rising has been stuck in my head all day. Just like the 2nd and 3rd chorus, they sound so good together. The harmonizing is so complex but soothing in a way. Ugh. Im drunk and this stereotypical cleatchaser college chick was in my room but like thats all I could think about... not even joking. Tha fuck man. NOW ALL OF THE FIELDS ARE BURNIN

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:I don't really see both songs as 'epics' but I see where you're coming from.

About the high notes.. I don't really mind. Live he usually sings around it anyway.
Well for me, I see SMAS as the epic of AB 3 because......It has 2 guitar solos, it's the longest song on the record, mark has very prominent backing vocals. WDTTW could be an epic because it's the second longest and Mark is actually co-lead throughout the whole thing, but neither MK or MT have any guitar solos.

well the thing is I already expect he won't sing live like he does in the studio so I love it when he belts out the high notes and sings in the lower register because it's something you can't get live. For someone who has a 4 octave vocal range, I honestly don't think he uses all octaves to his full potential. But i'm probably asking too much from him already :/