Fortress song meanings

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Cariocawlad
Bought The CDs

Re: Fortress song meanings

Post by Cariocawlad »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:lol, it's a good post, a friendly post...grab a cookie and read it!
Hey, friend! It's really a good read! And that's what we've been talking about here: interpretation. You gave the meaning to these songs that your heart leads you to do. AB have this power.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, it was an interesting read, TremontiFan4Life! :cheers
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

offman
Brand New Start

Post by offman »

Hi everybody
I have my simple interpretation of fortress songs that comes out reading lyrics and listening to myles interviews(understanding few things..).

Would you help me filling the empty spaces and correct eventual mistakes ?

- Cry of Achilles : don't know, and don't know what's the sense of Achilles in this song..
- Addicted to pain : no doubt here
- Bleed it dry: i think it's about contamination and ruining earth's resources..do you think that too?
- Lover : almost clear to me
- The uninvited : about terrorism, myles said so
- Peace is broken : no doubt here
- Calm the fire: about racism (according to myles) - and i have to say, beautiful lyrics here
- Waters rising: it is some kind of apocalyptic cataclysm/war?
- Cry a river : clear to me
- Farther than the sun: it's about free us from society or social/political limits?
- All ends weel : it's about what myles' mom (and all worlds moms) said to confort him
- Fortress: the ending of a relationship - coming down of a Fortress

thx for everyone who can clear my ideas :cheers

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Achilles is symbolic. Its like saying even the best of men can fall, similar to a fortress. Achilles in mythology was a great warrior. Some interpretations say that at times he refused to fight because he was living in his own sorrows, but the way I see it is that even the great warriors can be torn down by love or other things. That's basically the theme of the whole album.
Bleed it Dry and Water's Rising are both about an apocalypse, except they sorta contrast eachother in detail
Uninvited was written right after the Boston marathon attacks

Everything else you're right

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

I've tried all day to find a proper meaning for Outright and I failed. You guys have any clues?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The title Outright really has nothing to do with the song. They were using Outright II as a working title, and before they could retitle it, it got published with the title Outright. It was a mistake on someone's part to leave that title attached. So the good news is that your failure is very appropriate.

We should start a new thread to properly rename Outright.
(now putting my feet up expecting someone else to take my idea and do all the actual work...)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

gbruin wrote:The title Outright really has nothing to do with the song. They were using Outright II as a working title, and before they could retitle it, it got published with the title Outright. It was a mistake on someone's part to leave that title attached. So the good news is that your failure is very appropriate.

We should start a new thread to properly rename Outright.
(now putting my feet up expecting someone else to take my idea and do all the actual work...)
That's the thing. The song title is no where in the song lyrics. Its VERY odd. :S

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I actually like when song titles aren't in the actual lyrics (like Cry of Achilles). This was obviously just a mistake though, I assume the title would have something to do with the lyrics.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Inconquerable wrote:I actually like when song titles aren't in the actual lyrics (like Cry of Achilles).
Same.
And Never Say Die sounds kinda... cheesy, I don't know :shrug
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Addicted to Pain and Cry a River doesn't sound cheesy...

ruphen
Brand New Start

Re: Fortress song meanings very good read!!

Post by ruphen »

TremontiFan4Life wrote:lol, it's a good post, a friendly post...grab a cookie and read it!
I don't hardly post, more of a lurker than anything, but after i read your post i have to say that was a damn fine read. thank you for sharing that with us. the meaning of the lyrics and songs that affect you, i know if the band reads that they will know they have accomplished what they set out to do. Everyone is affected differently. i had not stopped listening to the stream i had captured, which by the way, had a few hicups and stops and starts from the sorry computer i have. But that is alright, i brought three copies yesterday on the way home from work and haven't stopped listening to the album yet.i can't decide on a favorite song; i keep on saying wow this song is it, then the cd will play over and i will hear something else in another song and just have to listen to that one particular song over and over again. Right now i am stuck on track 6 - "Peace is broken" there is so much dept to this album. the lyrics, the music, the breakdown. all the members input. I think the band knew this had to be the one that has to put them over the top. i hope they get as big over here as they are over on the other side of the pond. they deserve better than the (non) recognition they have gotten in the states.

:peace

Ruphen

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Very good read! Your interpretations were great. I think I'm going to show that post to a few of my friends to help explain why I love this band so much and how powerful songs/meanings can be. I hope this album speaks to your cousin like you said Blackbird did, and that "all ends well" :)
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Has anyone actually figured out the meaning behind Lover? I know some people on here have come pretty close, and I have an idea, too, but in a Track-By-Track video I saw on YouTube, Myles says he didn't want to go into the meaning of the song because he's curious to see if the fans can uncover the meaning behind it first.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Has anyone actually figured out the meaning behind Lover? I know some people on here have come pretty close, and I have an idea, too, but in a Track-By-Track video I saw on YouTube, Myles says he didn't want to go into the meaning of the song because he's curious to see if the fans can uncover the meaning behind it first.
It's either a lover committing suicide or a lover murdering their family.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

youknowverywell wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Has anyone actually figured out the meaning behind Lover? I know some people on here have come pretty close, and I have an idea, too, but in a Track-By-Track video I saw on YouTube, Myles says he didn't want to go into the meaning of the song because he's curious to see if the fans can uncover the meaning behind it first.
Is that a guess because of the trigger and chamber section of the song? Or just a ball=park guess? I know lyrics are always open to different interpretations, but I think those specific lyrics are more metaphorical than literal.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
youknowverywell wrote:
Is that a guess because of the trigger and chamber section of the song? Or just a ball=park guess? I know lyrics are always open to different interpretations, but I think those specific lyrics are more metaphorical than literal.
hahaha Yeah, no, that's not my actual guess. My actual guess is that it's about an abusive marriage/relationship in a much different way than Addicted to Pain would suggest.

These people went into the relationship with a happy outlook on everything. But, but "the truth exposed and love is devoured" causes the "ivory tower", a place where people go to escape from the real world, or a place where you deny errors and just look at things idealistically, to crumble. The ivory tower in this case was probably just their perception of the other person being flawless and without error.

"A vow betrayed and honor is broken" most likely refers to the pact made between two people upon marriage to love each other no matter what, or whatever their vows may have been. The honor being broken refers to someone losing their respect from the other person. "The wounds are open and bleeding out" pretty self-explanatory. The fighting and betrayal in the relationship has brought the wounds to the forefront.

The bridge is pretty straightforward as well. Once the wounds were open, everything was out there and nothing was held back. The hole just kept getting deeper and deeper and the separation grew wider and wider with everything that came to light.

Now on to the last verse. My guess is the couple would always argue with each other, hence: "The trigger's warm, the chamber is loaded." They're always ready to fight with each other. "Lost in a moment, what went wrong." It only took a moment to lose everything they had built up over time. The ivory tower came down in the snap of a finger. "There's nothing left, this house has been broken" means that there's nothing left to say, the relationship is terminated. But the lover won't stop there. He'll keep digging. I don't think he's holding on to the relationship being successful at some point in the future, I think he's holding on to being abusive and keeping her with him.

"Now that you've gone so far, can you live with what you've done and who you are."

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Oh lol yeah that's a much more specific and less "troll-ish(?)" interpretation. I could see how the lyrics can be viewed that way, and I don't think my view is any more right then yours (because like I said music can be pretty open to multiple versions sometimes) but I take a darker and line-by-line approach at it (maybe because Myles has said it's a pretty dark song anyways? idk)....I also cheated by getting someone elses input on the song meaning to strengthen mine so may be a mix of two interpretations.....

If you deny the wounds of your lover you will discover (The protagonist cheated on his wife but he didn’t see it as an issue; he doesn't believe he did anything wrong)
That what you had is shattered and wasted (she left him; the relationship is over)
Did you have to take it so far? (did she have to resort to leaving him?)

The truth exposed and love is devoured (she found out about the affair; the relationship is over)
And the ivory tower is coming down (ivory tower symbolizes marriage/relationship - ending)
A vow betrayed and honor is broken (he cheated and betrayed the marriage vows)
The wounds are open and bleeding out (he’s emotionally distressed about the break-up)

But it’s all I can do to carry on (but he’s still choosing to live with the consequences)
It brings all I fear to life (he feared the idea that his relationship would come to an end)

If you deny the wounds of your lover you will discover
That what you had is shattered and wasted
Did you have to take it so far?

Should you have to throw it all away? (does she have to end this relationship?)
Did you have to shove it in my face? (did she have to emphasize the fact he cheated?)
Did you have to tear my world apart? (the relationships end is extremely painful for him)
Did you have to take so selfishly? (did she have to only think about her feelings?)
No matter how you hurt the ones you need? (he still thinks she needs him in her life)
Did you have to fall so very far? (did she have to resort to that option of leaving him?)

The trigger’s warm, the chamber is loaded (literal = he has a gun and is considering suicide or homicide /metaphorical = actions are being taken to do something about all this)
Lost in the moment. What went wrong? (still doesn’t understand how all of this came to be)
There’s nothing left this house has been broken (the relationship is over; cant be saved)
But still I’m holding, I’m holding on (he still doesn’t accept that; he feels there’s hope)

(chorus x 2)
(Now that you've gone so far, can you live with what you've done & who you are) (protagonist asking himself if he can live with the choices he’s made and the person he’s become as a result of those choices)

You can see it in your love
The wounds are open and I’m bleeding out (metaphorical = he again emphasizes his sorrows after the break-up or result of his actions taken after the break-up/literal = he fatally injured himself to commit suicide and is dying from his injuries)
It’s so real (the pain is definitely alive and well; can’t possibly be over-reacted)
(Now that you've gone so far, can you live with what you've done & who you are)

(chorus)

Anything people could add or help make this thought process more clearer would be great, though :)

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Oh lol yeah that's a much more specific and less "troll-ish(?)" interpretation. I could see how the lyrics can be viewed that way, and I don't think my view is any more right then yours (because like I said music can be pretty open to multiple versions sometimes) but I take a darker and line-by-line approach at it (maybe because Myles has said it's a pretty dark song anyways? idk)....I also cheated by getting someone elses input on the song meaning to strengthen mine so may be a mix of two interpretations.....

If you deny the wounds of your lover you will discover (The protagonist cheated on his wife but he didn’t see it as an issue; he doesn't believe he did anything wrong)
That what you had is shattered and wasted (she left him; the relationship is over)
Did you have to take it so far? (did she have to resort to leaving him?)

The truth exposed and love is devoured (she found out about the affair; the relationship is over)
And the ivory tower is coming down (ivory tower symbolizes marriage/relationship - ending)
A vow betrayed and honor is broken (he cheated and betrayed the marriage vows)
The wounds are open and bleeding out (he’s emotionally distressed about the break-up)

But it’s all I can do to carry on (but he’s still choosing to live with the consequences)
It brings all I fear to life (he feared the idea that his relationship would come to an end)

If you deny the wounds of your lover you will discover
That what you had is shattered and wasted
Did you have to take it so far?

Should you have to throw it all away? (does she have to end this relationship?)
Did you have to shove it in my face? (did she have to emphasize the fact he cheated?)
Did you have to tear my world apart? (the relationships end is extremely painful for him)
Did you have to take so selfishly? (did she have to only think about her feelings?)
No matter how you hurt the ones you need? (he still thinks she needs him in her life)
Did you have to fall so very far? (did she have to resort to that option of leaving him?)

The trigger’s warm, the chamber is loaded (literal = he has a gun and is considering suicide or homicide /metaphorical = actions are being taken to do something about all this)
Lost in the moment. What went wrong? (still doesn’t understand how all of this came to be)
There’s nothing left this house has been broken (the relationship is over; cant be saved)
But still I’m holding, I’m holding on (he still doesn’t accept that; he feels there’s hope)

(chorus x 2)
(Now that you've gone so far, can you live with what you've done & who you are) (protagonist asking himself if he can live with the choices he’s made and the person he’s become as a result of those choices)

You can see it in your love
The wounds are open and I’m bleeding out (metaphorical = he again emphasizes his sorrows after the break-up or result of his actions taken after the break-up/literal = he fatally injured himself to commit suicide and is dying from his injuries)
It’s so real (the pain is definitely alive and well; can’t possibly be over-reacted)

(chorus)

Anything people could add or help make this thought process more clearer would be great, though :)
Completely WRONG. The protagonist has been cheated on. Its HIS wounds, not HERS. Your interpretation makes no sense.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

LOL, my mother just asked if Lover was about aids.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Timotheus wrote:LOL, my mother just asked if Lover was about aids.
:wtf