Rarities & B-Sides

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ashlee
Site Admin

Re: Rarities & B-Sides

Post by Ashlee »

I will forever and always love the Pinkpop version of Come To Life more than the one that got recorded.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I love the groove it has to it, and the way everything just stops for a bit during the bridge. It's got a bit of that One Day Remains swagger. Still love the album version though.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Decay

Post by Decay »

Timotheus wrote:[youtube]http://youtu.be/3QCqPhKDM1w[/youtube]

I love the early version of Buried Alive.. Here's another video of it. Quality isn't that good, but I like this one better as the Pinkpop version :cheers
Myles playing a Dean? WOW. He looks like the greatest heavy metal guitarist ever in this vid. :rockon

P.S. They need to record all those B-sides - Solace, Cruel Sun, Breathe (I think this song has been recorded, it's 'sitting in the vault' according to Myles), On My Way Now, etc... And release them later this year. But I don't have high hopes for this, it'd be just soo cool if it really happened!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Solace, Cruel Sun and Breathe are all recorded from what I've read.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Ashlee wrote:I will forever and always love the Pinkpop version of Come To Life more than the one that got recorded.
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon :rockon :rockon

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Thank you for this thread!
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

S'alright.

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

I never really liked Buried Alive on the Blackbird record. Until I heard the old live version.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I remember reading it was heavily revised in the pre-production phase. It was given a much more traditional structure in my opinion. Plus why sideline that awesome intro riff to just one pre-chorus?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oh and I also really love the old bridge/solo section of the old Come To Life version. Much more soul and melody to that solo and the way Myles sings "Don't forget we're here to staaahaayyy C'mon" is just kick arse.

I suppose it's inevitable that the first version you hear of something is usually going to be the preffered one.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Jim wrote:
Ashlee wrote:I will forever and always love the Pinkpop version of Come To Life more than the one that got recorded.
I'm with these folks. That was a quality bootleg. Complete with 'Bitch Slap', the original 'Buried Alive' and my favorite version of 'Hallelujah' (Out of tune guitar and all).

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

What was up with the tuning on that show anyway? They all some massively out of wack. Especially Come to Life.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Hard to say but in my experience new strings + outdoor venue = tuning havoc.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

That was Pinkpop 2006 and i think it was the worst weather the event had ever seen, and also the week before Mark had blown his monitors in Cardiff, they had major rig issues the whole tour, with Myles experimenting with different gear.

That, with new songs being thrown into the mix... Imagine the stress! They pulled it off though, Come To Life was amazing, i hardly ever listen to the album version because it changed so much from that. The bridge and solo made me go "FUCK YEAH!!!"... now the Blackbird solo being placed in a shit part of the song just makes me go "eww.."

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I might be the only guy here who doesn't think the Pinkpop bootlegs of BA and CTL are a million times better than the studio versions.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE those recordings. I played them hundreds of times in my car. I even still listen to them sometimes. As some of you have said, Myles' vocals in CTL were astonishingly passionate, and the "thump thump" from BA is unforgettable. But when I heard the album versions, I think they were able to round out the tracks nicely.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Jim wrote:
Me three! Regardless of how they went on to kiss and make up with Stapp, that whole "Messiah" line still makes me grin when I hear it. I wish SO BADLY that they would have kept it. I know it wasn't directed so much at him as it was at Wind-Up, but still... all the more reason to keep it.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

wow I've never noticed how horrid Myles' vocals were on those Pinkpop perfomances before
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, to be very honest, I don't really know why everybody's so excited about those versions.. The sound isn't good, there were a lot of technical problems, Myles really didn't sound that good vocally, like Macca stated. Might be the nostalgia.. But I'd rather listen to those crappy youtube video's from other shows where they played the new songs than to the Pinkpop versions.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Awesome thread, crumbso. Thanks for doing this! :rockon
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Ubik wrote:Solace, Cruel Sun and Breathe are all recorded from what I've read.
If that's true, I assume the reason they aren't released is some complication with Wind-Up. I still hope one day Myles and/or Mark write a book and we get to hear the details of those legal disputes. It's still kind of a mystery. 3 albums on 3 different record labels, that's the main storyline of Alter Bridge