What's this song missing?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

What's this song missing?

Post by Sunrunner1 »

Have you ever listened to a song and thought to yourself, something’s missing here? I know I have. In general I think AB is better about it than most semi-radio friendly bands, but there are always some songs that don’t quite reach their full potential. What songs do you feel came close to greatness but fell short?

For me, the biggest missed opportunity was “Still Remains.” When the bridge kicks in I feel like the song’s about to dive off the deep end, but it gets second thoughts and goes right back to the chorus. The end of that bridge could’ve been the beginning of something awesome. (Think of the bridge in “Caravan” of Rush’s Clockwork Angels.) I also think it would’ve been interesting to hear the chorus alongside the more spaced out riff from the intro or Mark’s chugging bridge riff ,or maybe even just the vocals by themselves once.
Last edited by Sunrunner1 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

AB23
Still Remains

Re: What's this song missing?

Post by AB23 »

for the end is here i always thought that in the chorus after "for the rest of my life" on those two heavy guitar notes there should be church bells added similar to those used in show me a sign. very, very small, but i feel like it would add an extra eerie element to the song

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The biggest missed opportunity in my opinion is Slip To The Void.

The intro is pure perfection. I like everything about it. It creates the perfect vibe, Myles sounds beautifully creepy in it and the lyrics are really strong. In my opinion it's one of the most memorable Alter Bridge moments ever. But when the heavy instruments kick in, all the magic is gone. The first riff isn't that strong and the production doesn't really help either.. The vocals in the verses are great, but I think the instrumentals underneath it just don't really work. Add that I don't really like the chorus, and yea.. You've got yourself a missed opportunity.
I think I would've liked the track better if it stayed calm and atmospheric like it did in the intro. In the end they could've had the entire band playing, but still tastefully and true to the intro. They even could've added an atmospheric solo. Hell, so much potential. And when the tracks was over: BAM! Isolation, straight in your face!

:/

Edit: Oh, and Buried Alive is missing its original intro ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I have always thought that Rise Today could use a more prominent slide guitar solo. Myles lead parts kick ass.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

ive also thought that there is something missing in the shed my skin chorus. i couldnt tell you what it is. i remember when i first heard it i was simply expecting more.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Hmmm hard to say But...
AB1 - Possible guitar solo for Metalingus But I like it the way it is
AB2- Nothing really that pops up But Break me Down lacked something
AB3- Songs like Show me a Sign/Life Must go on/Breathe Again. Personally I would have added Never born to Follow and gotten rid of one of those songs

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/XYv3BSCjeJU[/youtube]

This Myles's intro should be on the record. Sounds great.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

For Broken Wings, I miss those blues notes on the end of the intro that Mark used to play live.
Funny thing I always skip forward the Slip to the Void intro... I'd rather it started right into the riffs.

For Still Remains, I'd rather they removed the mideastern intro and had only that pounding guitar riff alone, at least for two compasses, then the rest of the band would start playing along.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I miss that big note from Myles in Buried Alive like the demo.

Still Remains is insane live. Not nearly as effective on the record.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Wish I could have heard Still Remains in concert. I remember back when I first heard Come To Life I was blown away by that first initial guitar part mark plays and had really high hopes but then once the rest of the band came in I was really let down. Chorus and everything else is great though

Decay

Post by Decay »

One Day Remains [Album] - On My Way Now, Solace and Cruel Sun are what's missing on it, everything else is just perfect ;)

Blackbird - I love all of AB's songs, but Break Me Down is my least favorite. It's just missing something, maybe it should've been a heavier track. I've always sung to it like this [before I had actually heard it]: ''If you try to break me down, I'll break these chains behind this sound..'' and then I'd be imagining Mark shredding like crazy.

AB III - Still Remains, I do love this song like every other AB song. But what this song is missing is the riff that is now used in So You're Afraid. Michael's hyped it too much back in the day, saying smth like the intro has really angry riffs and all, then I heard it and I was disappointed, I wished the riff should've been the one that has made it into So You're Afraid now. Thank God, I freaking love that riff. But still, I didn't end up all that disappointed with the song 'cause I heard some angry riffs in the bridge.

Wonderful Life - This beautiful ballad should've been more laid back, more of acoustic-based song. And oh, the outro of the song with ''And with one last embrace, etc...'' didn't have to be there. It's redundant, imo.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Decay wrote: Wonderful Life - This beautiful ballad should've been more laid back, more of acoustic-based song. And oh, the outro of the song with ''And with one last embrace, etc...'' didn't have to be there. It's redundant, imo.
by far the best part of the song in my opinion

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I agree with AB23. It's so very powerful.

I love contrast of Marcos' and my interpretation of STTV :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Isak
Bought The CDs

Post by Isak »

Decay wrote:Wonderful Life - This beautiful ballad should've been more laid back, more of acoustic-based song. And oh, the outro of the song with ''And with one last embrace, etc...'' didn't have to be there. It's redundant, imo.
I completely agree with you. Not that it's bad, but it's my least favourite Alter Bridge song by far. I think they should've just kept it simple and acoustic. Maybe even some piano and strings. It's definitely too much of a rock song to make me connect with it.
LÅ, BD, SWE.
When I could only see the floor, you made my window a door
[center]TABN visitor (Issens) since 2008 but I am a shy Swedish reader[/center]

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The end of Wonderful Life is what makes the song!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Marcos
Achilles

Post by Marcos »

Ubik wrote:The end of Wonderful Life is what makes the song!
Exactly!

It showcases the best of Myles as a singer, a true crooner! (whatever that means!)

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

Still Remains - The intro + verse are just perfect! But then the chorus is very mediocre and I don't really like the vocals in that part. The bridge again comes up with a phenomenal riff but then it kinda falls apart :shrug.Probably it's just that riff that leads into the chorus again that sounds weak to me.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The next to last mine in Wonderful Life should be:

"And with one last embrace as the tears stain my face, you're gone."

Or instead of stain, they could have used hide or line or sear or something else.

But," one last embrace as the tears fall like rain" just sounds too far off to me.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

Post by Sunrunner1 »

Finaldecision wrote:Still Remains - The intro + verse are just perfect! But then the chorus is very mediocre and I don't really like the vocals in that part. The bridge again comes up with a phenomenal riff but then it kinda falls apart :shrug.Probably it's just that riff that leads into the chorus again that sounds weak to me.
That's exactly what I was thinking. As it is the chorus hits too abruptly (same thing for Breath Again). I wonder what it would sound like if they had sung the chorus with something along the lines of the more spaced-out riff from the intro.
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

we dont care at all. all its missing are good parts