What's in a Sound?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Sunrunner1
Bought The CDs

What's in a Sound?

Post by Sunrunner1 »

:wave Hey all. As a newcomer to AB nation, I would like to start by asking one simple question. What's in a sound?
Specifically, with respect to new material what do you think would constitue a blackbird-type album vs. an AB3-type album, sound-wise?

Just a little food for thought. :headscratch by
Last edited by Sunrunner1 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destination Unknown...
We're Lost, But Not Alone

AB23
Still Remains

Re: What's in a Sound?

Post by AB23 »

waves?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB III has a darker, more ominous sound to it. Take "Show Me a Sign" for example, a very dark sound and dark lyrics to go along with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Sunrunner1 wrote::wave Hey all. As a newcomer to AB nation, I would like to start by asking one simple question. What's in a sound?
Specifically, what do you think would constitue a blackbird-type album vs. an AB3-type album, soundwise?

Just a little food for thought. :headscratch
To me, I think Blackbird is a mixture/balance of everything that has to do with modern rock and classic rock, in terms of tempo and sound, while the ABIII sound leans more on the progressive, heavier, darker sound of rock.

Now, to some of the people that don't like BB or ABIII, they may say that both of them are overproduced and that Elvis is a crappy producer and that Tremonti has lost his mind in terms of guitar playing and that he should return back to the ODR sound or something like Human Clay sound, but I digress, of course, imo. Now, come at me, bros.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

An AB3 type sound would be another album where the lyrics seem to suggest an oncoming apocalypse.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

Andy92 wrote:An AB3 type sound would be another album where the lyrics seem to suggest an oncoming apocalypse.
Grasshopper Apocalypse

:)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't think there's a huge difference in sound between the albums.. I've heard both albums a million times, so obviously I'm going to hear the differences, but I think a casual listener would just all categorize it under the same sound.

ABIII is a bit darker indeed (mainly on Slip, SMAS, WDTTW + some others are lyrically very dark too) but Blackbird's got its dark moments too (Blackbird, NWTL)..
ABIII has a bit more of a progressive sound though it's definitely not progressive. I find that Blackbird's got a better flow, where ABIII sometimes feels a bit rushed and cut into pieces.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

ODR is a hard rock record, BB has a kind of a alternative metal feel to it, ABIII touches a bit of a progressive genre, but it's has more of a alternative vibe.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Daniel
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Daniel »

ODR sounds alot like Creed in hindsight with OYE, SMS, DTL, but also has a harder edge to it with Metalingus, FTR etc
Blackbird is the true representation of the Alter Bridge sound
AB III is just a continuation of Blackbird