Wouldn't You Rather

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Wouldn't You Rather

Post by Timotheus »

GazEd wrote:
anguyen92 wrote: The spot above that, the song that Ed Sheeran, Chris Stapleton, and Bruno Mars did has 162 more spins than Wouldn't You Rather and I don't think it's going to drop anytime soon. That song is actually pretty decent and at least, it comes from three guys from the pop world that's respectable artists that I always feel like have a rock side to them, but not showcase it too much.
You've got to be kidding me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-e9BZZtTM

Seriously? Pretty decent? Or pretty stolen?
If you're gonna write a riff that generic and obvious, of course it's going to get "stolen".
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ I honesty didn't know that they ripped it off of something. All I can say is that I heard the track and I found it tolerable enough to hear the whole thing and I felt no desire to change the radio station (that's not the case when I hear various bands like Tool, Marilyn Manson, Korn, etc.)
You'd change the station on Tool but not on Ed Sheeran?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yes, I would actually. I'm allowed to have that option, do I not? If not, as a music listener first (technically, I'm an AB listener first), I should.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I don't find that to be a particularly unreasonable expectation. Tool is a very technically proficient and unique band, but they're certainly an acquired taste. I personally only really enjoy a handful of their songs, though I certainly can appreciate and respect what they do.

Also, while Ed Sheeran's music may be a lot more easily digestible, I feel he gets a lot of undue hate just because he's popular. My wife and I went to one of his concerts about 2 years or so ago, and the guy puts on a hell of a live show (all by himself using a looper pedal). He's a very good performer and musician.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I mean... I'm not gonna stir up a hornet's nest, but give Tool a chance man, you'll appreciate it a lot more than the likes of Ed Sheeran.

I'm not saying that he's a bad musician or perfomer. I just think that the music that he puts out is mostly 'lawsuit-worthy' and pretty terrible.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I want a Tool/Ed Sheeran collab!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Dolo wrote:I mean... I'm not gonna stir up a hornet's nest, but give Tool a chance man, you'll appreciate it a lot more than the likes of Ed Sheeran.

I'm not saying that he's a bad musician or perfomer. I just think that the music that he puts out is mostly 'lawsuit-worthy' and pretty terrible.
I tried to listen to Tool. I even listened to their latest track, Fear Inoculum (it was actually played in full when the house music was playing while I was waiting for Adelitas Way, last Friday). They are talented and a lot of people like them. I just don't care much them. Nothing these guys will do to sway me and that's all right. I don't like Slipknot as well, but I can understand why they are uberpopular in the metal circles. It's not that I don't care much for intricate music. I like Rush and Coheed & Cambria. When it comes to Tool. Ehhh. I don't want to force myself to like a band because everyone else likes them.

There are bands I can like that other people here don't. My favorite album of the year so far is a JPop album. I didn't think that would be the case when I started the year, but that's where I stand. There are people in other forums I partake in that likes the stuff that Myles does with Slash, but is so-so when it comes to AB and they reserve to have that opinion as well.

As for Ed Sheeran, I get it. There some lawsuits waiting to be happened (and I think it always has happened with Thinking Out Loud). Oh well, I enjoy his stuff for the most part and I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

anguyen92 wrote:
Dolo wrote:I mean... I'm not gonna stir up a hornet's nest, but give Tool a chance man, you'll appreciate it a lot more than the likes of Ed Sheeran.

I tried to listen to Tool. I even listened to their latest track, Fear Inoculum (it was actually played in full when the house music was playing while I was waiting for Adelitas Way, last Friday). They are talented and a lot of people like them. I just don't care much them. Nothing these guys will do to sway me and that's all right. I don't like Slipknot as well, but I can understand why they are uberpopular in the metal circles. It's not that I don't care much for intricate music. I like Rush and Coheed & Cambria. When it comes to Tool. Ehhh. I don't want to force myself to like a band because everyone else likes them.

There are bands I can like that other people here don't. My favorite album of the year so far is a JPop album. I didn't think that would be the case when I started the year, but that's where I stand. There are people in other forums I partake in that likes the stuff that Myles does with Slash, but is so-so when it comes to AB and they reserve to have that opinion as well.

As for Ed Sheeran, I get it. There some lawsuits waiting to be happened (and I think it always has happened with Thinking Out Loud). Oh well, I enjoy his stuff for the most part and I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.
I agree about Tool. Super talented band but they've just never clicked for me.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Timotheus wrote:I want a Tool/Ed Sheeran collab!
Tool Sheeran. Right on.
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

GazEd wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I want a Tool/Ed Sheeran collab!
Tool Sheeran. Right on.
"I'm in love with the shape of your octahedron"
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Timotheus wrote: If you're gonna write a riff that generic and obvious, of course it's going to get "stolen".
This, so much this. :-) Can be applied to a lot of these lawsuits.

Haha the Tool Sheeran colab should really be a thing.

Edit; just listened to that new Sheeran (and the rest) song, pretty cool - for a pop song. :-) Not a bad thing to expose the Sheeran-crowd to some guitar riffing.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Does being obvious make it a less good-sounding riff though?
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Well, no I don't necessarily think so. Although you could argue it can be a bit boring when it's too overused. But it's easier to accidentally copy, which was the point I think.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Slow and steady. Slow and steady. Song is at #20. Hopefully, the single can pick up steam in a few weeks once the tour begins.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

As much as I hate to see Wouldn’t You Rather at ONLY 20... I love to see Too Bad by Rival Sons up high. Great track.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Some thoughts on some comments here.
I too don't understand why some "rock" radio stations are more willing to play Ed Sheeran more than AB (cough* WMMR in Philly). Now I give Ed Sheeran credit, he is better than a lot of the garbage on pop radio (programmed drums, snaps, claps, monotone).

On Tool and Slipknot. I appreciate Tool much more than I do Slipknot because Slipknot just seems like noise to me with very little dynamics. There are some tool songs I love (Sober, The Pot, Schism) but sometimes their songs are overlong and get a little tired. I feel like the new Tool album is overhyped and I miss MJK's louder screams and he seems just mellow for the whole album. The guys in Tool have mad skills and I respect what they do, but I personally prefer APC to Tool and Stone Sour to Slipknot (unpopular opinion but whatever). I just can't get into Slipknot, except the few songs that have clear vocals.

My favorite album so far this year is definitely Rival Sons' Feral Roots so I don't mind them above AB

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

TheEndisHere wrote:Some thoughts on some comments here.
I too don't understand why some "rock" radio stations are more willing to play Ed Sheeran more than AB (cough* WMMR in Philly). Now I give Ed Sheeran credit, he is better than a lot of the garbage on pop radio (programmed drums, snaps, claps, monotone).

On Tool and Slipknot. I appreciate Tool much more than I do Slipknot because Slipknot just seems like noise to me with very little dynamics. There are some tool songs I love (Sober, The Pot, Schism) but sometimes their songs are overlong and get a little tired. I feel like the new Tool album is overhyped and I miss MJK's louder screams and he seems just mellow for the whole album. The guys in Tool have mad skills and I respect what they do, but I personally prefer APC to Tool and Stone Sour to Slipknot (unpopular opinion but whatever). I just can't get into Slipknot, except the few songs that have clear vocals.

My favorite album so far this year is definitely Rival Sons' Feral Roots so I don't mind them above AB
Sheeran, Tool, and Slipknot all make money lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

TheEndisHere wrote:Some thoughts on some comments here.

Pretty similar take on Tool and Slipknot at least Tool has some talent just not my cup of tea. Slipnot to me is audio vomet. Apparently Cory is a great singer so why he wastes his talent on the screamo crap they deliver is crazy then again they are a Satanic band not that they hide that fact.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

LosingPatience wrote:Pretty similar take on Tool and Slipknot at least Tool has some talent just not my cup of tea. Slipnot to me is audio vomet. Apparently Cory is a great singer so why he wastes his talent on the screamo crap they deliver is crazy then again they are a Satanic band not that they hide that fact.
I don't know man. Slipknot may not be my cup of tea (Stone Sour is great), but Corey does know how to get people really going and it goes well that frantic sound that Slipknot possesses. They also draw big crowds that gets really energetic and aggressive and the shows from what I heard are a spectacle to see the madness unfold. If you are in a metal band, who wouldn't want to be in that spot night after night? Also, I never knew that Slipknot is a Satanic band nor have I read anything of credibility that states they are anything close to that, so let's leave that assumption out of the window. We might as well say Iron Maiden is a Satanic band because they have an album called Number of the Beast which that kind of assumption is a load of horsecrap as well.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

LosingPatience wrote: Pretty similar take on Tool and Slipknot at least Tool has some talent just not my cup of tea. Slipnot to me is audio vomet. Apparently Cory is a great singer so why he wastes his talent on the screamo crap they deliver is crazy then again they are a Satanic band not that they hide that fact.
OK, calling metal vocals "screamo" and saying Slipknot is a "Satanic band" is extremely ignorant, and simply untrue lol.