AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by RikJohannsen »

Thanks Tim! There is always so much happening in the background and obviously so many different hands handling the stuff that it's crazy good to not let anything from it see the light of day BEFORE actual release or anything. So I guess, you especially were very disappointed when the dates hit the internet. BUT, and I mean that in all honesty: for the amount of stuff you do, there's only a hand full of things that slip through someone's hand and I think that should be the approval that you're a great manager!

(I hope I put everything in the right context, otherwise I'm sorry and I just wanted to say, that you do a great job TT)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

TTournier wrote:It isn't the fans fault and I never said it was, they are pumped for the tour - I am pumped that they are pumped for it but with the proverbial shit hitting the fan I couldn't reply to or even keep up with the questions... as time goes by people then get upset when I am not replying to them.. then I get the "youre an asshole" or "you dont care about the fans because youre not getting back to us!" comments.. Damned if ya do - Damned if ya dont so I said how I felt towards the people who were coming at me like that.. I didn't mean it towards the vast majority
Thanks for coming and making that post, Tim. This might be unrelated, but a funny tidbit about the bolded, I recall a time back in 2006 when it was announced on Blabbermouth, I think, that AB was leaving Wind-Up and I was looking back at the thread in the archives a few years and I noticed one noticeable poster that was really pissy that the band or Michael didn't announced it to the forums beforehand. Here was the post.
Yes, that's great, fantastic news indeed. However, am I the only one that's raising an eyebrow that we -- the hardcore fans -- are hearing about such a major event through this 3rd-party site?

That's kinda dissapointing. If "ALTER BRIDGE's fan base has sustained the band through what they consider to be a very difficult time," then one might think we'd be the first to know.

Just my $0.01 at this point in time.
http://thealterbridgenation.com/forumsa ... f=1&t=6760

The thing is I don't mind it when stuff gets announced on Loudwire and the likes first since that's the main go-to area where all the rock news and album announcements and tour announcements and the likes get announced. Then again, that post was back in 2006 where Twitter and Instagram wasn't a thing yet so if those had existed, the band would have made some announcements that they were free agents at the time and the fans would have hear the news from them first. Even then, there are labels and promoters that, as Tim stated, says to the band "no, you cant do this." and that we the fans have to dial things down a bit before it was officially announced.

As another example, for the Royal Albert Hall shows, I think we heard about it initially back in May 2017 from an interview article from Mark at one of the US festivals and then that info. was removed from the article and then we had to wait until after Download (which they were playing in) to be officially announced. Things happen where the band cannot publicly announce these awesome news to the fans until the time is right and they get the thumbs up to do so. All they can do is hope it doesn't get leaked early and have a backup plan.
On a personal note: I work for the band but I am a fan first, I actually engage the base and take things that they say to heart. I try my hardest to get the music out and the guys out to as many locations as I can... thus there has been a big upswing in the band since I took over the wheel. I am proud of that. Myself, as anyone who is passionate about what they do, they take pride in ownership... I dont have a problem with someone not liking a choice I had made / product we did - thats your right to feel that way but to be clear I dont have to deal with people personally coming at me either - I can defend myself and tell someone whats up. The band knows that.
I think you are doing a swell job at what you are doing. There's a reason why AB trusts you and Elvis to get them to the right direction when it comes to the shows that they play in and their sound. Trust is hard to build in the music industry and for a band that has had setbacks over their career, I think they found and known reliable people to get them on the up and up over the years which leads to them being where they are now in a positive direction.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:Thanks for coming and making that post, Tim. This might be unrelated, but a funny tidbit about the bolded, I recall a time back in 2006 when it was announced on Blabbermouth, I think, that AB was leaving Wind-Up and I was looking back at the thread in the archives a few years and I noticed one noticeable poster that was really pissy that the band or Michael didn't announced it to the forums beforehand. Here was the post.
Yes, that's great, fantastic news indeed. However, am I the only one that's raising an eyebrow that we -- the hardcore fans -- are hearing about such a major event through this 3rd-party site?

That's kinda dissapointing. If "ALTER BRIDGE's fan base has sustained the band through what they consider to be a very difficult time," then one might think we'd be the first to know.

Holy cow that's still up! A world without Fortress, heaven forbid.
For all of the hope that it brings...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Never thought I'd see you back here, Tim! Thanks for checking in, sorry things got a little rocky back there. Vast majority of us love and support everything you do for the band and us fans. Keep up the great work!

P.S. - thanks for bringing the house down with Myles and Zia in Denver a few months ago :rockon

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

WaywardOne wrote:Never thought I'd see you back here, Tim! Thanks for checking in, sorry things got a little rocky back there. Vast majority of us love and support everything you do for the band and us fans. Keep up the great work!

P.S. - thanks for bringing the house down with Myles and Zia in Denver a few months ago :rockon

I actually come back a lot, I just don't say anything.

always in the shadows!

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

anguyen92 wrote:
TTournier wrote:It isn't the fans fault and I never said it was, they are pumped for the tour - I am pumped that they are pumped for it but with the proverbial shit hitting the fan I couldn't reply to or even keep up with the questions... as time goes by people then get upset when I am not replying to them.. then I get the "youre an asshole" or "you dont care about the fans because youre not getting back to us!" comments.. Damned if ya do - Damned if ya dont so I said how I felt towards the people who were coming at me like that.. I didn't mean it towards the vast majority
Thanks for coming and making that post, Tim. This might be unrelated, but a funny tidbit about the bolded, I recall a time back in 2006 when it was announced on Blabbermouth, I think, that AB was leaving Wind-Up and I was looking back at the thread in the archives a few years and I noticed one noticeable poster that was really pissy that the band or Michael didn't announced it to the forums beforehand. Here was the post.

The thing is I don't mind it when stuff gets announced on Loudwire and the likes first since that's the main go-to area where all the rock news and album announcements and tour announcements and the likes get announced. Then again, that post was back in 2006 where Twitter and Instagram wasn't a thing yet so if those had existed, the band would have made some announcements that they were free agents at the time and the fans would have hear the news from them first. Even then, there are labels and promoters that, as Tim stated, says to the band "no, you cant do this." and that we the fans have to dial things down a bit before it was officially announced.

As another example, for the Royal Albert Hall shows, I think we heard about it initially back in May 2017 from an interview article from Mark at one of the US festivals and then that info. was removed from the article and then we had to wait until after Download (which they were playing in) to be officially announced. Things happen where the band cannot publicly announce these awesome news to the fans until the time is right and they get the thumbs up to do so. All they can do is hope it doesn't get leaked early and have a backup plan.
On a personal note: I work for the band but I am a fan first, I actually engage the base and take things that they say to heart. I try my hardest to get the music out and the guys out to as many locations as I can... thus there has been a big upswing in the band since I took over the wheel. I am proud of that. Myself, as anyone who is passionate about what they do, they take pride in ownership... I dont have a problem with someone not liking a choice I had made / product we did - thats your right to feel that way but to be clear I dont have to deal with people personally coming at me either - I can defend myself and tell someone whats up. The band knows that.
I think you are doing a swell job at what you are doing. There's a reason why AB trusts you and Elvis to get them to the right direction when it comes to the shows that they play in and their sound. Trust is hard to build in the music industry and for a band that has had setbacks over their career, I think they found and known reliable people to get them on the up and up over the years which leads to them being where they are now in a positive direction.

there are deals in place that keep people from just changing launch plans.. you cant just move up roll outs or poop out albums when some d-bag leaks it. haha its a balance. lots of these deals you cant even talk about it.. but as we all know some members don't always care haha

in this case, the truth is - there was massive roll out plan with a very large media outlet that got very upset by the photo getting out and they pulled the plug on their part of the announce because they felt it was no longer an exclusive.
Someone from the printing house took a photo and sent it to a friend - said friend posted it online and it spread like wild fire. We knew it was in the Download program, I approved it. that wasn't out until Thursday morning but the photo was out Tuesday night. Thursday night was to be the big announce at download... so now someplace there is a 12 foot tail by 8 foot wide iron poster/admat of the woman and the tightrope walker that after the cloth was removed would have shot fire and been an "eternal flame" (which is inline with the album) but the partner no longer felt the cost of the flame was worth it. it was a real bummer.. its things like that that make up the year of work I was talking about in the first post.

either way - this album is amazing, ABIII and Walk The Sky go hand in hand. The production we are doing on this cycle are next level for the band... I am pumped for everyone to hear / see it.

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

TTournier wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:

there are deals in place that keep people from just changing launch plans.. you cant just move up roll outs or poop out albums when some d-bag leaks it. haha its a balance. lots of these deals you cant even talk about it.. but as we all know some members don't always care haha

in this case, the truth is - there was massive roll out plan with a very large media outlet that got very upset by the photo getting out and they pulled the plug on their part of the announce because they felt it was no longer an exclusive.
Someone from the printing house took a photo and sent it to a friend - said friend posted it online and it spread like wild fire. We knew it was in the Download program, I approved it. that wasn't out until Thursday morning but the photo was out Tuesday night. Thursday night was to be the big announce at download... so now someplace there is a 12 foot tail by 8 foot wide iron poster/admat of the woman and the tightrope walker that after the cloth was removed would have shot fire and been an "eternal flame" (which is inline with the album) but the partner no longer felt the cost of the flame was worth it. it was a real bummer.. its things like that that make up the year of work I was talking about in the first post.

either way - this album is amazing, ABIII and Walk The Sky go hand in hand. The production we are doing on this cycle are next level for the band... I am pumped for everyone to hear / see it.

I actually got goosebumps from reading the last few sentences. :bow

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Synths and channelling the Bangles - the band are committed to the 80s theme and I am on board.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

TTournier wrote:
DarkKnight12 wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:What a pussy, grow the fuck up :facepalm
Is it a harsh reaction to something like this? Yep. Your reaction to his reaction isn't any better. Then again, we're not the manager for a band that's built its backs on making great music and established a loyal community of a fanbase.
I know, but it's not the first time that Tim has this divaish reaction about something. He has serious issues about his temperament and he doesn't even know how to properly react about things, so it's just me getting tired of him.

Also, working almost a year on the title of the album and the (until now) cover of the album? We all know how the guys work, they meet in January, they start composing and then they work on lyrics and everything else, so he is telling us that the album cover/title was made before even knowing the concept of the album? Come on...
Bro, his job isn’t about the album title. His job is to score gigs for AB. He worked a year long doing all the requisite Matter and meeting in order to have AB play at download, and all the other venues. He planned the whole marketing aspect of it as well. So I get why he is angry about the leak. It’s not just about the album name and release date.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=202285#

Been a minute since I have popped my head in, glad to see everyone is keeping up with the same vibes!

I was pissed off that the dates leaked for the UK run and was working hard at getting the announce moved up to meet the fans in a positive way but unfortunately for a tour of this size one just cant simply move things... regardless of what anyone thinks - there are tour partners and exclusives that are promised to folks leading up to this who simply said "no, you cant do this". I dont expect anyone outside of the industry to understand that but maybe folks shouldn't just assume either? Yes its 2019, yes this stuff happens, yes there are back up plans but at the end of the day you need a team to launch this stuff - be it tour partners or labels - they can jam ya up, which happened!

I dont have to but since I hold this community in the highest regards ill explain:
I woke up at 5am to around 200 DM's from folks letting me know its out, to folks asking for free stuff (Tickets and whatnot) - i was tagged in around 50 or 60 comments asking me to authenticate the photo..which for obvious reasons I cant do. I said this is really annoying to have this happen after a years worth of work and its insulting to get tagged in it so much. To put it into a metaphor, it felt like I had been planing a proposal to my girlfriend for a year only to have her friend tell her about it a day before I was going to ask.. You take it personal because you lived it for so long getting it ready and the folks that are spreading it / getting upset with you for not getting back to them are the same people you got free tickets for.. or Meet & greets for because you saw they lost their job a few months before.. or because you saw it was their birthday or someone who already got 2349805149085643 things from the store. Its hard to not get upset by that.
that being said I am really sorry if some people took that as "Fan shaming" - i honestly didn't mean it to be like that... when that was said I took down my post because that wasn't my intent.
It isn't the fans fault and I never said it was, they are pumped for the tour - I am pumped that they are pumped for it but with the proverbial shit hitting the fan I couldn't reply to or even keep up with the questions... as time goes by people then get upset when I am not replying to them.. then I get the "youre an asshole" or "you dont care about the fans because youre not getting back to us!" comments.. Damned if ya do - Damned if ya dont so I said how I felt towards the people who were coming at me like that.. I didn't mean it towards the vast majority.

I treat people the way I want to be treated and when someone is shitty to me - pal, I am shitty right back. Its the part of me that never left the block i grew up on.. that part of me got me to the seat I am in BUT that part of me is also whats leaves me showing my ass sometimes. its a balance.

Thanks for following my pages blackbirddd - I am always open to any constructive criticism and open to a conversation.
You know I love you in the inside, and thank you for taking the time to explain yourself.

Cariocawlad
Bought The CDs

Post by Cariocawlad »

TTournier wrote:
DarkKnight12 wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:What a pussy, grow the fuck up :facepalm
Is it a harsh reaction to something like this? Yep. Your reaction to his reaction isn't any better. Then again, we're not the manager for a band that's built its backs on making great music and established a loyal community of a fanbase.
I know, but it's not the first time that Tim has this divaish reaction about something. He has serious issues about his temperament and he doesn't even know how to properly react about things, so it's just me getting tired of him.

Also, working almost a year on the title of the album and the (until now) cover of the album? We all know how the guys work, they meet in January, they start composing and then they work on lyrics and everything else, so he is telling us that the album cover/title was made before even knowing the concept of the album? Come on...
Bro, his job isn’t about the album title. His job is to score gigs for AB. He worked a year long doing all the requisite Matter and meeting in order to have AB play at download, and all the other venues. He planned the whole marketing aspect of it as well. So I get why he is angry about the leak. It’s not just about the album name and release date.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=202285#

Been a minute since I have popped my head in, glad to see everyone is keeping up with the same vibes!

I was pissed off that the dates leaked for the UK run and was working hard at getting the announce moved up to meet the fans in a positive way but unfortunately for a tour of this size one just cant simply move things... regardless of what anyone thinks - there are tour partners and exclusives that are promised to folks leading up to this who simply said "no, you cant do this". I dont expect anyone outside of the industry to understand that but maybe folks shouldn't just assume either? Yes its 2019, yes this stuff happens, yes there are back up plans but at the end of the day you need a team to launch this stuff - be it tour partners or labels - they can jam ya up, which happened!

I dont have to but since I hold this community in the highest regards ill explain:
I woke up at 5am to around 200 DM's from folks letting me know its out, to folks asking for free stuff (Tickets and whatnot) - i was tagged in around 50 or 60 comments asking me to authenticate the photo..which for obvious reasons I cant do. I said this is really annoying to have this happen after a years worth of work and its insulting to get tagged in it so much. To put it into a metaphor, it felt like I had been planing a proposal to my girlfriend for a year only to have her friend tell her about it a day before I was going to ask.. You take it personal because you lived it for so long getting it ready and the folks that are spreading it / getting upset with you for not getting back to them are the same people you got free tickets for.. or Meet & greets for because you saw they lost their job a few months before.. or because you saw it was their birthday or someone who already got 2349805149085643 things from the store. Its hard to not get upset by that.
that being said I am really sorry if some people took that as "Fan shaming" - i honestly didn't mean it to be like that... when that was said I took down my post because that wasn't my intent.
It isn't the fans fault and I never said it was, they are pumped for the tour - I am pumped that they are pumped for it but with the proverbial shit hitting the fan I couldn't reply to or even keep up with the questions... as time goes by people then get upset when I am not replying to them.. then I get the "youre an asshole" or "you dont care about the fans because youre not getting back to us!" comments.. Damned if ya do - Damned if ya dont so I said how I felt towards the people who were coming at me like that.. I didn't mean it towards the vast majority.

I treat people the way I want to be treated and when someone is shitty to me - pal, I am shitty right back. Its the part of me that never left the block i grew up on.. that part of me got me to the seat I am in BUT that part of me is also whats leaves me showing my ass sometimes. its a balance.

Thanks for following my pages blackbirddd - I am always open to any constructive criticism and open to a conversation.
We Brazilian fans need to see the band again. Please, bring us AB back!!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Cariocawlad wrote:We Brazilian fans need to see the band again. Please, bring us AB back!!
Take this tweet for whatever it is worth, but they do want to come back to South America in 2020 so keep your eyes peeled.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Was not a fan of ABIII, so hopefully that's more about the lyrical content than the sound of the music, personally.

But why does anyone need an explanation from Tim here? Obviously the major media sites not being able to break the "exclusive" about the album cover/song titles would be detrimental to the band. It's not something that really needs an explanation. We should all just be able to assume that as adults with a general understanding of how the industry works.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TT, when things like that go south, you know what you should do? Go play an MTM show in Denver for just one night to get all the aggression out and then you'll feel way better the next day. :rockon

Seriously though, the internet is both the greatest thing in the world and the worst thing in the world at the same time. It's so hard to keep anything a surprise or secret anymore, and I feel for you and all those who put so much time and effort and planning to make this reveal huge only to see some jackass spoil it at the last minute.

But if it's any consolation, at least it has shown that the AB fanbase is on fire for this. Someone joked last winter that a thread dedicated to the new album wouldn't get 7 pages of comments on here before the first single dropped. Well we're on page 28 and still have a week leading up to the single on Friday, even here on TABN where the activity has fallen off in favor of other social media outlets over the years.

In the end, it's all about the music. Alter Bridge has a life of its own that brings the fans to life and that spoilers and leaks can never take away.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

gbruin wrote:TT, when things like that go south, you know what you should do? Go play an MTM show in Denver for just one night to get all the aggression out and then you'll feel way better the next day. :rockon

Seriously though, the internet is both the greatest thing in the world and the worst thing in the world at the same time. It's so hard to keep anything a surprise or secret anymore, and I feel for you and all those who put so much time and effort and planning to make this reveal huge only to see some jackass spoil it at the last minute.

But if it's any consolation, at least it has shown that the AB fanbase is on fire for this. Someone joked last winter that a thread dedicated to the new album wouldn't get 7 pages of comments on here before the first single dropped. Well we're on page 28 and still have a week leading up to the single on Friday, even here on TABN where the activity has fallen off in favor of other social media outlets over the years.

In the end, it's all about the music. Alter Bridge has a life of its own that brings the fans to life and that spoilers and leaks can never take away.
Oi! Misquote!

I actually said 5 pages :shifty

But thankfully you created it rather than me and it's been successful. And only one of the pages was moose-based puns this time round, so that's progress. Cariboutiful, even.

SlipToTheABVoid
Brand New Start

Post by SlipToTheABVoid »

peapod0609 wrote:
RikJohannsen wrote:I totally disagree. You can't take anything away from songs like My Champion, Cradle To The Grave, The Other Side or The Last Hero (song). These are just a few of my favorites on the record. But for me personally TLH comes right after Fortress. Perhaps not mixingwise but the riffs, the chorusses are fantastic. I hate when people almost discriminate their last album. I can't understand it.
Take out My Champion and replace it with This Side of Fate and I would agree. Those songs are all top notch.

I also like the heaviness of Crows on a Wire and Island of Fools. Those are easily some of the hardest hitting riffs they've created. And I believe Myles wrote the main one for Island of Fools, so that's pretty cool. The songs themselves are decent as a whole.

But the rest of the album in my opinion is pretty much filler. I also enjoy Show Me A Leader at times, I like the intro and the solo. That's about it, My Champion, You Will Be Remembered, and Twilight are nice, but all three have varying degrees of cheesiness. I love the intro to Writing On The Wall but the rest of the song does nothing for me. Poison In Your Veins, and Losing Patience do nothing for me either.

Overall I don't hate the album, but I really only love four songs and I do consider it their weakest album. Now the ones I do like, I believe are up there with any of the songs they've ever written. I think the album is a little top heavy as a result.

All of this.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

gbruin wrote:Seriously though, the internet is both the greatest thing in the world and the worst thing in the world at the same time. It's so hard to keep anything a surprise or secret anymore, and I feel for you and all those who put so much time and effort and planning to make this reveal huge only to see some jackass spoil it at the last minute.

Well said. Leaks are almost inevitable these days, but that shouldn't overshadow the fact that there are still so many people who have the utmost respect for this band and those who help make it all possible.
Ubik wrote:And only one of the pages was moose-based puns this time round, so that's progress. Cariboutiful, even.
:lol There's still time left.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

On the german amazon site, there is a listed product that says "Walk The Sky" by Alter Bridge. Interestingly the info says it contains 2 CD's. Makes me kinda wonder.

https://www.amazon.de/Walk-Sky-Alter-Br ... way&sr=8-1

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Now would be a good time for them to announce the US shows they have for 2019 after the listening party.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

So it’s a NA tour with Skillet, but I’m confused... :shifty