More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Post by Ubik »

Weirds me out when I see an old post of mine and have literally zero memory of posting it. Like the opposite of the Mandela effect.
For all of the hope that it brings...

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Ubik wrote:Weirds me out when I see an old post of mine and have literally zero memory of posting it. Like the opposite of the Mandela effect.
It's funny you say that...at the beginning of this thread I specifically quoted and replied to one of your posts and I also have zero memory of posting it.

I guess this is what getting older feels like :shrug

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

VigilantSteve wrote:
Ubik wrote:Weirds me out when I see an old post of mine and have literally zero memory of posting it. Like the opposite of the Mandela effect.
It's funny you say that...at the beginning of this thread I specifically quoted and replied to one of your posts and I also have zero memory of posting it.

I guess this is what getting older feels like :shrug

Must be those Russians :}

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

I'm a "Myles does all the lead" guy in my heart, but I'm willing to sacrifice a track or two to Mark if it means we get more of Myles on guitar.

In terms of them harmonising with themselves, I don't want them to have to water down their vision in the studio just so it works live. Look at Fortress for example, there are about 6 layers of vocals in the chorus, it's never going to come close live, but the studio version sounds awesome and it wouldn't be as good if they made concessions so it could be identical live. That said, I think it needs to become a thing that the Audience sings the "Fortress coming down" lines whenever they play that song, just for completion.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Here's the thing - I love Myles, probably more than any man should be allowed to love another man. He's my favorite vocalist of all time, and I want to hear all he can do.

But on the other hand, we have Mark, who's really been coming into his own as a vocalist. And having that tool in the arsenal and just sitting on it seems like a waste. I've said in other threads on this topic, that I would absolutely LOVE to hear more back-and-forth, more Mark voice, similar to the olden days of Alice in Chains with Layne and Jerry - though their voices were much more similar to each others', so it sort of flowed together better. Mark and Myles have vastly different voices, so they wouldn't really flow like that. What they do really well is harmonize together, so I'm all for more of that -- but I'd also love to hear a bit more of the Words Darker style of back-and-forth.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I kind of like that WDTTW is special for having that back-and-forth, and it would be a disservice to that song and any other song to have that, really. The moment it happens, all people will ever compare it to is Words, and say they're just ripping off that format. I'd rather keep Words unique for doing that, myself.

Definitely get him to do his own little things in songs though, like in the choruses of Come To Life and Before Tomorrow Comes.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Definitely get him to do his own little things in songs though, like in the choruses of Come To Life and Before Tomorrow Comes.
Absolutely, more of this! Maybe that's more of what I'm looking for, not so much the "back and forth" I previously mentioned. Just something to showcase what Mark can do that still does service to the song.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

TenaciousBe wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Definitely get him to do his own little things in songs though, like in the choruses of Come To Life and Before Tomorrow Comes.
Absolutely, more of this! Maybe that's more of what I'm looking for, not so much the "back and forth" I previously mentioned. Just something to showcase what Mark can do that still does service to the song.

It is odd to me that the better Mark got on vocals the less he was used. Ive been listening to Van Halen lately [ the real V Halen with Roth ] and man the difference good harmonies can make to a song

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Timotheus wrote:There's no reason why Mark couldn't have done one of the harmonies in the intro of Cry of Achilles. Would've sounded so much better, especially live.
I've been saying this for years to friends outside of this forum. Mark could have even harmonized the chorus with Myles, instead of Myles having to jump back and forth between the high and low parts. There's a clear way to do it, but it baffles me that they never do.

I think stuff like this is what separates bands like Muse from Alter Bridge. I like AB's music more, but Muse generally makes everything happen live in one way or the other, and that's why their fans go nuts over their live shows. Knights of Cydonia has all the harmony you expect to hear sung live by the band members.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I think you could throw Mark a song like Waters Rising where he gets lead for verses and then Myles comes in for chorus or vice versa (see My own prison) or maybe a back in forth. Having Mark not sing at all like on TLH album feels like a waste of a new found weapon. Even though I want more Mark, I think that it should be overwhelmingly Myles for 8/10 or 9/10s of the songs.