Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
welshsteve
Brand New Start

Re: Alter Bridge - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Post by welshsteve »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, AB's twitter just sent a tweet with this video. Here's Words Darker Than their Wings with only just the orchestra.

WOW WOW WOW!!! Incredible.
Thanks

Steve

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

This Side of Fate is almost better than the studio version, if not for the slightly nasally vocals in the bridge, its damn-near perfect.
Thanks Timo!

merces
Brand New Start

Post by merces »

Did anyone finalize a better mix made from the DVD, or maybe just a couple of songs, I'm really interested what a better mix could sound like

Ps. does anyone know if the Vinyl sounds different (better ?)

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

merces wrote:Did anyone finalize a better mix made from the DVD, or maybe just a couple of songs, I'm really interested what a better mix could sound like

Ps. does anyone know if the Vinyl sounds different (better ?)
From my experience the Vinyl is possibly a little worse, in that there's less orchestra. That said, I had my record player bodged in to my monitors as I didn't have the cable I needed at the time. I'm due another listen.

merces
Brand New Start

Post by merces »

Thanks for your reply, no point in ordering the vinyl then... :(

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

There’s no digital version, right...?

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Those who watched the dvd/blu-ray with a surround system, does anyone feels that the sound of the orchestra in Blackbird is a bit low, for the most part?
I mean, the arrangements in this song are smoother but, for example, the instrumental part right after the second chorus, i hear better the crowd clapping or the band than the orchestra.
Even during the credits when i listen the arrangements for Blackbird, i feel that i didn't heard any of it during the performance.

richardsim7
Brand New Start

Post by richardsim7 »

Yeah the orchestra overall was a bit low, as was Mark's guitar

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Silvercreed wrote:Those who watched the dvd/blu-ray with a surround system, does anyone feels that the sound of the orchestra in Blackbird is a bit low, for the most part?
I mean, the arrangements in this song are smoother but, for example, the instrumental part right after the second chorus, i hear better the crowd clapping or the band than the orchestra.
Even during the credits when i listen the arrangements for Blackbird, i feel that i didn't heard any of it during the performance.
I modified my setup slightly because the orchestral music mostly comes from the rear surround speakers. I boosted the decibel levels for those speakers and it helps mix things in better. I agree that by default the orchestral volume is a bit low. Having the ability to do some rough volume mixing of the individual 5.1 channels helps.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Andy92 wrote:
Silvercreed wrote:Those who watched the dvd/blu-ray with a surround system, does anyone feels that the sound of the orchestra in Blackbird is a bit low, for the most part?
I modified my setup slightly because the orchestral music mostly comes from the rear surround speakers. I boosted the decibel levels for those speakers and it helps mix things in better. I agree that by default the orchestral volume is a bit low. Having the ability to do some rough volume mixing of the individual 5.1 channels helps.
So wait, theoretically, couldn't one rip the 5.1 audio from the Blu-ray and re-mix the tracks back down to stereo with the rear channels raised so that we get more orchestra? I don't have a blu-ray drive on my PC or I would try this for myself.

richardsim7
Brand New Start

Post by richardsim7 »

I mean, kinda, but you'll end up with more crowd noise too

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Andy92 wrote:
True. That's what I did.

I only mentioned Blackbird because the volume of the arrangements seems to me much lower in comparison to the others.
I have to decrease the level of the front channels even more but I still think the sound could be a little bit better.
The other songs the orchestra sounds good and quite audible.

There is some great quality material in this concert. The Last Hero with the orchestra is just a pure "eargasm".
In the future, I hope they do another concert like this with another 20 songs (and if there is a dvd, hope they mix it better...)

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
So wait, theoretically, couldn't one rip the 5.1 audio from the Blu-ray and re-mix the tracks back down to stereo with the rear channels raised so that we get more orchestra? I don't have a blu-ray drive on my PC or I would try this for myself.
Yes.
richardsim7 wrote:I mean, kinda, but you'll end up with more crowd noise too
I haven't played with it since I first got it, but I wonder if you can select some crowd audio samples and try and slightly reduce their noise without interfering with any of the other audio.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
Yes.
richardsim7 wrote:I mean, kinda, but you'll end up with more crowd noise too
I haven't played with it since I first got it, but I wonder if you can select some crowd audio samples and try and slightly reduce their noise without interfering with any of the other audio.
I didn't think about crowd noise. I edit a friend's podcast and routinely do noise reduction/cancellation to try to make things sound cleaner, but it's a fine line. It's very easy to introduce artifacts into the sound that sound very digital, for lack of a better description. It would certainly be worth a shot though.

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

The one issue I have with this, is that when I watch the bluray on my TV through my 2.1 stereo soundbar (quite powerful at total output of 360w), I cannot hear Mark's guitar at all. To hear it, I have to output sound from my TV also, and change the sound options to output Channel B only. Channel A I can only hear Myles' guitar, and Stereo, although I can make out Mark, Myles is much louder.
It really annoys me why music DVDs/Blurays do this.
I want to be able to hear it as I can from the CD.
No thought is given to the end user who may not have fancy expensive equipment to be able to hear these properly. It's diminished my enjoyment of what should have been an incredible show to watch. :(
Thanks

Steve

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

welshsteve wrote:The one issue I have with this, is that when I watch the bluray on my TV through my 2.1 stereo soundbar (quite powerful at total output of 360w), I cannot hear Mark's guitar at all. To hear it, I have to output sound from my TV also, and change the sound options to output Channel B only. Channel A I can only hear Myles' guitar, and Stereo, although I can make out Mark, Myles is much louder.
It really annoys me why music DVDs/Blurays do this.
I want to be able to hear it as I can from the CD.
No thought is given to the end user who may not have fancy expensive equipment to be able to hear these properly. It's diminished my enjoyment of what should have been an incredible show to watch. :(
It's mixed low on the Blu-ray, period. Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you have.

You'd have to rearrange the mix through an audio editor to lift his guitar and vocals

The CD mix is even worse. Sure, you can hear his guitar... but there are a lot of other unwanted audio bits in the mix which make it rather unlistenable. I'm glad they didn't mix the Blu-ray that way.

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

A shame :(
Thanks

Steve

Fortress1988
Brand New Start

Post by Fortress1988 »

Guys any update ??
Are we going to get only orchestra recording from the show ??
Just like they released words darker than their wings version ???

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Also still missing a nice vinyl PD version of this one. Perhaps for the upcoming Record Store Day ?

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

I love the mixing on this honestly can hear orchestra perfectly throughout, i personally think 2.1 sounds the best on 5.1 is when i notice the loss of audio on Mark's guitar i have no issue on 2.0.I also think TLH hero songs sounded the best with the orchestra with The Other Side,Writing On The Wall,This Side Of Fate and The Last Hero all awesome