Best and worst Alterbridge album

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
On The Rail

Re: Best and worst Alterbridge album

Postby nagpo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Box Of Frogz wrote:Fortress is my favourite, Last Hero least favourite.

this guy gets it

Brand New Start

Postby UninvitedZero » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:00 am

This is like choosing children... Blackbird is the first Alter Bridge album I heard. But I was really on board the Fortress hype train for the months/weeks leading up to release day during my one unsuccessful year of college. I'd say that album has become my favorite. The songs, the sound, the artwork, everything is killer.

My least favorite though, The Last Hero. I was chomping at the bit, pacing the cage awaiting this album. It fell totally flat for me at first. I've grown to love most of the tracks (fanboy), but the bloated production sours even some of the best musical moments...
Now more than ever what we need
Is love to replace all the obscene

Slip To The Void

Postby austinjhnsn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:53 am

Fortress and Blackbird are the best.

Fortress is the proggier album. Its so dynamic, not really any filler, other than Cry A River, and the production is the best of all the AB records. Some of the best vocal work from Myles on here, the riffs are simply off the charts and I love the darker vibe of a lot of the songs. Also, Cry of Achilles.

Blackbird is just a rock masterpiece, and it has Ties That Bind, Watch Over You and Blackbird, some of the best tracks the band has ever wrote. The true introduction to what Alter Bridge is; every track has something special about it.

ABIII is in 2nd, but not too far behind.. I adore that album but its unnecessarily lengthy. If certain songs were cut, it would be tied for first. I like the bsides from ABIII much more than a couple songs that actually made the cut, but those sides are damn good songs in general. Words Darker Than Their Wings is half the reason I love this album so much.

ODR is a great album, but like others have said its really kind of a very Creed-esque album. It really is a beautiful piece of art. Plus, Myles voice was in top shape on this record. Every song belongs, I personally dont see any of it as "filler", which is not true for the other albums. Each track belongs, all of them are awesome in their own way, but its not really AB as we know it.

The Last Hero is last. As much I want to love it, I just dont feel a connection like I did with the other albums. The highest amount of filler, and it seems kind of unfocused if Im being completely honest. Its not a bad album, but it isn't great by AB standards. Its just good, with a little bit of great thrown in.

Thanks Timo!

Bachelor Daddy

Postby Ubik » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Blackbird/ABIII/Last Hero
One Day Remains

But they all good.
In another life
In another place...

Postby Vaux » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 pm

ODR is the best, followed by a tie between Blackbird and Fortress, then ABIII and The Last Hero is..... last.

Brand New Start

Postby kantkalmthefire » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 am

Fortress is undeniably my favorite album but 'slip to the void' I like so much that I'd listen to just that track over Fortress heh. :shifty

As for 'the last hero....' I thought that was by a band other than Alter Bridge right? :facepalm

Brand New Start

Postby Thomz87 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am

1. Fortress
2. The Last Hero
3. Blackbird
5. One Day Remains

Fortress is a masterpiece, just perfection. The Last Hero I liked very much, too. Blackbird has some songs on it, I listened a few times but I don't consider them above (AB-)average (One by One, Break Me Down, Buried Alive, Rise Today). On ABIII, I loved WDTTW and Coeur d'Alene. One Day Remains is of course a very good record, too, but not as good as the rest :)

Hardcore TABN'er

Postby VigilantSteve » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Fortress/Blackbird (too hard to decide)
The Last Hero
One Day Remains

I'm still surprised by the number of people here that dislike The Last Hero.

You Waste Your Time

Postby Andy92 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 pm

VigilantSteve wrote:I'm still surprised by the number of people here that dislike The Last Hero.

I'd rank it last, but I wouldn't say I dislike it. It's just missing something overall. The lyrics don't hit me very hard in comparison to the other records, the production makes the record sound too harsh at times, and the solos, while good from a technical standpoint, aren't as memorable to me on that album.

I actually do think it's a solid album. The title track is one of the best pieces they've ever written. Better production would've helped it a lot.

Return to “Alter Bridge”