"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Lotha
Colloquial

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by Lotha »

In a lot of the music I like, singers self-harmonize (mostly due to not having competent back vocals, but still :P ) and I have no problem with that. In fact, I kinda like it. If it's really prominent they can always use a backing track or something (like some of these bands do).
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:Yep. A lot of people get on Elvis' case, but for me this is one of the biggest obstacles on enjoying stuff post ODR/BB. I think they just like having all those layers for a more complex sound but IMO the only harmonizing should be coming from Mark and it shouldn't be overused.
People keep blaming Elvis for these production flaws that AB is having post-Blackbird, but from what I can hear, there were not any big flaws (aside from perhaps the actual musical direction the band wanted to go for, especially with Trivium not wanting to do unclean vocals which to me ehhh in either direction) in Slash/Myles/Conspirator's World on Fire or Trivium's Silence in The Snow. Also, people, from what I read in other forums, liked Elvis's production on those albums, so any flaws could lies heavily on Mark and/or Myles insisting that they should do the Myles self-harmonizing (which I can't say I'm a fan of myself).
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Lotha wrote:In a lot of the music I like, singers self-harmonize (mostly due to not having competent back vocals, but still :P ) and I have no problem with that. In fact, I kinda like it. If it's really prominent they can always use a backing track or something (like some of these bands do).
Another problem with it for me is that you can't produce it live the same way. The same could be said of bells and some of the other effects they've used but the singing is just such a huge part of it not to be able to reproduce to the same way as the track.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Crumbso wrote:It was a tongue in cheek comment really.
I don't doubt that. Just felt the need to justify my actions is all.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Fish Tacos wrote:
Lotha wrote:In a lot of the music I like, singers self-harmonize (mostly due to not having competent back vocals, but still :P ) and I have no problem with that. In fact, I kinda like it. If it's really prominent they can always use a backing track or something (like some of these bands do).
Another problem with it for me is that you can't produce it live the same way. The same could be said of bells and some of the other effects they've used but the singing is just such a huge part of it not to be able to reproduce to the same way as the track.
Pretty much this. I sit there going, "Well what are you going to do when the song is performed live?" Then of course, normally it ends up sounding better live heh.

At least they aren't notorious for tuning down their songs for not being able to hit vocal ranges live like most bands do, though it's also probably why they don't sing some of the songs live as well.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Don't take it seriously. I was just joshing with you. Still think it's a good name :lol

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Fish Tacos wrote:
Pretty much this. I sit there going, "Well what are you going to do when the song is performed live?" Then of course, normally it ends up sounding better live heh.

At least they aren't notorious for tuning down their songs for not being able to hit vocal ranges live like most bands do, though it's also probably why they don't sing some of the songs live as well.
Yeah guys, it will sound exactly like on the record live (if you use the backing track). Why would you limit your creativity strictly to a live setting just because you don't have so many mouths to sing that one cool part. Or because you can't tour live with an orchestra, but can record with one. I mean it's great when you write with a live setting in mind, what will work, what won't work, but that's not the only way to do it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The Fortress 6/8 bridge. Self-harmonisation direct from the gods.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I think the key is all things in moderation. Perhaps Myles puts a dash too many overdubs in the song soup sometimes.

Example:
Intro vocal section in Cry of Achilles = Amazing
Second half of SMAL verse = Not so much

This song is already mixed in quite a busy way and it sort of detracts.
Last edited by Crumbso on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Yeah I agree with the moderation remark, Crumbso. I was just saying how it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's important how you do it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Definitely. It certainly has its place and can sound great (frequently does with Myles in fact). It just loses its impact with overuse.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm wondering if Trivium's next album will have screaming again. Matt's aggressive voice is back as evidenced by the live vids on yt. That said, I absolutely love Silence in the Snow.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

One Drew Remains wrote:I'm wondering if Trivium's next album will have screaming again. Matt's aggressive voice is back as evidenced by the live vids on yt. That said, I absolutely love Silence in the Snow.
Wrong Thread?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:I'm wondering if Trivium's next album will have screaming again. Matt's aggressive voice is back as evidenced by the live vids on yt. That said, I absolutely love Silence in the Snow.
Wrong Thread?
It's probably in response to my post about this.
People keep blaming Elvis for these production flaws that AB is having post-Blackbird, but from what I can hear, there were not any big flaws (aside from perhaps the actual musical direction the band wanted to go for, especially with Trivium not wanting to do unclean vocals which to me whatever in either direction) in Slash/Myles/Conspirator's World on Fire or Trivium's Silence in The Snow. Also, people, from what I read in other forums, liked Elvis's production on those albums, so any flaws could lies heavily on Mark and/or Myles insisting that they should do the Myles self-harmonizing (which I can't say I'm a fan of myself).

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

It was. I generally think Elvis' production sounds good. Even on AB III, which for some reason gets universally panned around here. But Silence sounded amazing to me sonically.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

One Drew Remains wrote:It was. I generally think Elvis' production sounds good. Even on AB III, which for some reason gets universally panned around here. But Silence sounded amazing to me sonically.

This is the only place I've seen ABIII panned i have seen nothing but love for the album elsewhere

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I just get ear fatigue when I listen to that album all the way through with headphones, and it's the only AB record that does that to me. It lacks dynamics, you can tell that mostly in Slip when the intro kicks into the main part of the song. There should be a volume change of some sort there, but the levels stay pretty much the same.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Andy92 wrote:I just get ear fatigue when I listen to that album all the way through with headphones, and it's the only AB record that does that to me. It lacks dynamics, you can tell that mostly in Slip when the intro kicks into the main part of the song. There should be a volume change of some sort there, but the levels stay pretty much the same.
Yeah i get what your saying especially with Slip [which i worship] but that first change needed more oomph or power i agree

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Lotha wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Fish Tacos wrote:

Yeah guys, it will sound exactly like on the record live (if you use the backing track). Why would you limit your creativity strictly to a live setting just because you don't have so many mouths to sing that one cool part. Or because you can't tour live with an orchestra, but can record with one. I mean it's great when you write with a live setting in mind, what will work, what won't work, but that's not the only way to do it.

I get tired of ppl whining about live performances. If things are a bit different from the album, so what? As long as the singer can sing most of the song, then thats good enough.

But yeah, if u just lip synch all ur songs, I disapprove tho.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

cheesedip1 wrote:I get tired of ppl whining about live performances. If things are a bit different from the album, so what?
:yeahthat Amen borther..
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013