"Show Me a Leader" discussion

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: "Show Me a Leader" discussion

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

WaywardOne wrote:I was blasting this song on my new speaker today and my friend walked in and said "Hey, is that the guy who sings with Slash?" He was really digging this song and I thought it was a cool example of Myles getting more recognition from his other band!
Maybe he thought it was Axl Rose. :shifty

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Most people want to move to the Blackbird sound.

If they did an album with 50% Blackbird sounding songs, and 50% Fortress sounding songs, I'd come out and say "you know what? This is fucking Alter Bridge."

For example, songs like White Knuckles could have been on Fortress and no one would even notice. But songs like Wayward One (fantastic song), Watch Over You, and songs of the like couldn't. But I'd still say this sounds like AB.

AB has two different sounds: they have the heavy melt your face stuff (White Knuckles, Farther than the Sun, Piece is Broken, etc) that showcase their instrumental talents, and they have the finger-picking haunting sort of riff songs that aim towards showcasing their vocals.

Songs like Fortress are a nice combo of both. And they always try to mix in epic songs. But to me, THAT'S AB... and THATs what makes a complete record. You showcase everything. If they made 6 melt your face songs and 6 Blackbird-style songs, and among those 12 songs they had 3-4 epics, I'd say that would be my ideal Alter Bridge album. In my opinion, that would make AB have more of its "uniqueness" that they desire.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

AB23 wrote:Most people want to move to the Blackbird sound.

If they did an album with 50% Blackbird sounding songs, and 50% Fortress sounding songs, I'd come out and say "you know what? This is fucking Alter Bridge."

For example, songs like White Knuckles could have been on Fortress and no one would even notice. But songs like Wayward One (fantastic song), Watch Over You, and songs of the like couldn't. But I'd still say this sounds like AB.

AB has two different sounds: they have the heavy melt your face stuff (White Knuckles, Farther than the Sun, Piece is Broken, etc) that showcase their instrumental talents, and they have the finger-picking haunting sort of riff songs that aim towards showcasing their vocals.

Songs like Fortress are a nice combo of both. And they always try to mix in epic songs. But to me, THAT'S AB... and THATs what makes a complete record. You showcase everything. If they made 6 melt your face songs and 6 Blackbird-style songs, and among those 12 songs they had 3-4 epics, I'd say that would be my ideal Alter Bridge album. In my opinion, that would make AB have more of its "uniqueness" that they desire.

Not me Blackbird was great but simplistic in its arrangements compared to ABIII and Fortress i want the band to progress not regress

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

DCooper727 wrote:Unpopular opinion: I think ABIII has the most unique/interesting sound out of the 4 albums with ODR being the weakest of the bunch. Cannot fathom why people want them to move away from the metal/progressive sound they've been going in just to go back to the ODR sound.

Agreed ODR is Creed with special guest Myles Kennedy

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Jim wrote:
DCooper727 wrote:Unpopular opinion: I think ABIII has the most unique/interesting sound out of the 4 albums with ODR being the weakest of the bunch. Cannot fathom why people want them to move away from the metal/progressive sound they've been going in just to go back to the ODR sound.
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you discovered AB in 2012..

Im also an AB fan from day 1 and prefer ABIII over their first 2

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Raven wrote: Not me Blackbird was great but simplistic in its arrangements compared to ABIII and Fortress i want the band to progress not regress
your definition of progressive is not the same as mine, then

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Second this. ABIII has a very recognisable sound and imho has the best composition of all AB albums. I think it's on par with Fortress, and both albums are definitely better than Blackbird (even though Blackbird is still their best song). Don't need to talk about ODR, it's by far their weakest album. Still great, but can't compete with their later work musically.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Calling Blackbird simplistic in its arrangement is a bit of an exaggeration I think. Words Darker Than Their Wings and Slip To The Void are probably AB's most unique composition when it comes its arrangements I agree, but the rest of the album really isn't that progressive compared to Blackbird. Most of the experimentation happens in the bridges. Most of the songs follow the same structure and 90% of the songs have a copy/paste "epic" chorus.

At least on Blackbird, for me, the songs are a lot better put together. There's an out-of-place chorus on One By One, but for the rest the songs don't feel like pieces put together.

I still like that AB III gets so much love though. It's a really good album and it doesn't deserve the "ugly duck" status some fans give it.

About SMAL. I never listen to these singles too much when they come out, but every time I give the song a listen I enjoy it more and more.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Blackbird wrote:Don't need to talk about ODR, it's by far their best album.
Fixed that for you :yes

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

chtimixeur wrote:

Their best Creed album, AB formed on Blackbird for me although i still love ODR

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Raven wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:

I mean, ODR is about a 1000 times better than everything Creed have ever produced, but yeah, you can clearly hear the influence. They just got to a completely new level from Blackbird on.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Makes you wonder what Creed would've sounded like if they'd never disbanded.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

Blackbird wrote:
Raven wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:

I mean, ODR is about a 1000 times better than everything Creed have ever produced, but yeah, you can clearly hear the influence. They just got to a completely new level from Blackbird on.

U get me :}

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The funny thing about ODR is that everyone now agrees it sounds a lot like Creed, but I remember how everyone (band, fans, interviewers) was saying how different from Creed it was back in the 2004-2006 days.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Crumbso wrote:Back OT though. I find that I haven't really listened to this single much at all. I bought it, listened about 10 or so times but my attention has really been taken by the new Periphery release.

Unfortunately this single doesn't seem to be able to keep my attention. So far, my least listened to first single from an AB album. It's strange because I can't place why, it's not a bad song at all.
I've probably only listened to it 15 times, but I'm just trying to avoid wearing it out before the full album drops.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Blackbird wrote:
Raven wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:

ODR is about 1000 times better than everything Creed ever produced?? Now I'm a die hard AB fan all over but you've got to respect what Creed did. Even though you and I both prefer AB, Creed had its success for a reason. My Sacrifice, With arms wide open, Higher,ect. Everyone knows those songs

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

hahaha ODR is their weakest album? Jesus murphy.

Its baffling how there are some AB fans from the beginning who even think ODR and ABIII are close to comparable in quality. ABIII is just not very good. And its okay to say that.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

AB23 wrote:hahaha ODR is their weakest album? Jesus murphy.

Its baffling how there are some AB fans from the beginning who even think ODR and ABIII are close to comparable in quality. ABIII is just not very good. And its okay to say that.
heaven forbid anyone whose been a fan from 2004 not think ODR is zOMG awesome! it's called an opinion... in this interview here from when Blackbird came out, first question, Myles calls ODR a good stepping stone. that's exactly what it was. it's a good album. hell, it's the album that got me into AB. I fell in love on first listen, but imho, it's not AB. it was an introduction to what AB would become. it's by far my least listened to AB album. I like how they've progressed, including ABIII far more. that's my opinion that I'm entitled to. there's NOTHING wrong with it, and clearly I'm not alone in my opinion from reading the last page or so. there's NOTHING wrong with that. ABIII being inferior to ODR is NOT any kind of fact. it's 100% opinion not shared by every long time fan.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I prefer ABIII to ODR. It's much darker, which is what I really like, and sounds more like AB that we now know. I'm sorry.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

:yeahthat Thanks uctalum01, you saved me from having to type a similar post. I will take ABIII over ODR any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I don't get why people have to laugh about other's personal opinion about music. :peace