How Did You Discover Alter Bridge?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
dFhimz
TABN.com Citizen

How Did You Discover Alter Bridge?

Post by dFhimz »

Thought it would be cool to see how people came across AB. I'll kick it off:

Was bored one day and wanted to discover some new music. So I did the natural thing and looked up a list of rock bands on wikipedia. Being the lazy guy I am, I couldn't get past the long list of bands starting with 'A'. Randomly picked Alter Bridge from the list and here I am.

First song I found was Broken Wings. Was intrigued but not sold. 2nd song I heard was a live performance of Blackbird. Caught me hook, line and sinker.

What's your story?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: How Did You Discover Alter Bridge?

Post by AB4Lyfe »

My first exposure was Madden 2005 (or 2006?) and Open Your Eyes was the soundtrack. Got exposed more through WWE, and then I downloaded Blackbird and One Day Remains back in 2009. I didn't become a die-hard until 2010, a little before my Grandpa passed away. Then once he passed and I had discovered Blackbird (the song), I felt the connection. Blackbird has been my favorite song ever since, and Alter Bridge has been my all-time favorite band. Hard to believe it's been almost 6 years since that moment... But some guys on here have been around since the Creed days. But I was lucky because instead of drifting towards the radio hits when I was a young teenager, I drifted towards AB.

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

WWE. I'm a diehard Edgehead. when he started using Metalingus as his theme song I thought the song was awesome and bought ODR for it. listened through the whole thing after I bought it and the rest, as they say, is history.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's a tale of wondrous proportions!!!!! :shifty :shifty :shifty

All right, it all started at around I'd like to say 2007, maybe late 2006. I was going through a phase where I wanted to watch wrestling and WWE again after a four-year hiatus since I stopped watching in 2002 because I deemed it too violent for me at my age. After a while, I started watching youtube videos of promos and highlight videos of PPV events and then I ended up watching the 2004 edition of the Royal Rumble which turned out to be one of my favorite wrestling matches of all time.

So one day, I found a highlight video of that match and the song that was played was Open Your Eyes and the one thing I noted was how well timed the highlights of that match went well with the song. Another thing I noted was how awesome that bridge and guitar solo was. Eventually, I found out that Edge's theme song was Metalingus and that one of their PPVs in 2007 used Rise Today as a theme song, then I heard Find The Real since that was another song used for a WWE PPV.

One thing led to another and things just kept unraveling where I just slowly discover song after song on Youtube (Down to My Last, In Loving Memory, Broken Wings, Brand New Start, Come To Life, Watch Over You, New Way to Live, etc. was probably the tracks I heard first around 2008-2009). I'm quite certain that the song that really sealed the deal of me being a more "die-hard" fan was certainly Blackbird as it was the longest song I heard at that time and how they set up the part before the first chorus where it felt "epic" and the two guitar solos. Eventually, I saw footage of Live From Amsterdam, and ended up watching the whole thing on Youtube (shameful note of me to state. It was about 4-5 years later until I bought it when I found a copy of it at Best Buy for a discounted price).

Then the Creed reunion happened, I wanted to hear more news about AB's future which led me to here in this forum, and then I stuck around for the most part during the build-up towards AB III and eventually, here we are.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

My discovery of AB was thanks to Slash. I hadn't been paying much attention to his career after the VR era, but one day (sometime late summer/fall 2010) it occurred to me to check out what he had been doing. I liked his solo album and one of my favourite tracks was Back from Cali (I never really got into Starlight :shrug ) Then I watched a lot of vids of their summer tour and was truly impressed by Myles' vocals, though it took some time to get used to him singing GNR material :D .

So I went to check out AB stuff, both official vids and live gigs. I was sold and here I am :rockon
Last edited by Krissie on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

It was the natural evolution from Creed. Where tremonti goes, I follow. It was after Creed broke up, AB had formed. I wasn't digging them at first and I was more of a Stapp fan and I felt like Myles was just a replacement. I was a teenager and didn't know better.

Anyways over time ODR grew on me but then Blackbird came out and really sold me on the band.

Vaux
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Vaux »

Creed fan since 1997 - when I was in the Air Force and I heard my friend playing the My Own Prison CD in his dorm room. I followed them ever since. But as far as AB goes - I saw the video for Open Your Eyes on VH1 when it came out, picked up ODR a couple days later and my journey began.

Krissie
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Krissie »

Krissie wrote:My discovery of AB happened thanks to Slash. I hadn't been paying much attention to his career after the VR era, but one day (sometime late summer/fall 2010) it occurred to me to check out what he had been doing. I liked his solo album and one of my favourite tracks was Back from Cali (I never really got into Starlight :shrug ) Then I watched a lot of vids of their summer tour and was truly impressed by Myles' vocals, though it took some time to get used to him singing GNR material :D .

So I went to check out AB stuff, both official vids and live gigs. I was sold and here I am :rockon

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I liked Creed.
Read an article about their break-up.
It said the guys had a new side project.
I listened to a couple of songs in August 2004 and was blown away.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

i liked creed since i first was exposed to them in 1999.. since about 2001 i have been saying creed should find a new singer as stapp was limiting the potential of mark and wanted all spotlights just on him.. and of course because of all his antics.. then in 2004 creed disbanded and AB was formed.. so i kinda got what i was rooting for.. loved AB from the get go.. met the guys at 5 gigs in 2004 and the rest is history :)
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

Oh, Andrew. That is a tremendous story.

I was into Creed as a kid. Seriously. With Arms Wide Open and My Sacrifice were my anthems when I was like... seven. Forgot about them for a long time and then in like 2006 decided, after much humming it to myself, to download (via Limewire I might add because I was 13 with no money and shit for brains) Edge's theme song. Loved it. Googled the band and somehow from there and because of that I ended up in New Zealand.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Merinda wrote:Googled the band and somehow from there and because of that I ended up in New Zealand.
You joined this site, met zaz and decided she didn't want to live in America anymore? (Joke, I know the story)

I stumbled upon Alter Bridge quite randomly. Was with my brother, found a few Creed videos on Youtube, liked the music, googled them and found out they broke up. Then found a live video of AB's The End Is Here. I think Open Your Eyes was the second song I heard and it instantly made me fall in love with Myles' voice. Nine years later, here I am!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I remember pretty well...

I came across AB somewhere on the webz I think and checked their site out (between Blackbird and ABIII). I wasn't really impressed by what I heard and forgot about them... Shame on me!

But then, some time later, I came across this:

Holy craphole! What was this guitar sorcery? This was heavy, but still kinda different. I was instantly absorbed, checked out the discography and was in time to really live through the ABIII release. Playing a little bit of guitar, I was very intrigued and instantly got inspired to play a lot more. Fell in love with Tremonti's playing and became big fan of AB and Tremonti.

erv
Bought The CDs

Post by erv »

I liked creed a lot, and mtv (!) was playing the open your eyes video on the tv at my brothers' place for the first time while we were waiting to get off to the movies. Not joking. I recognised the guitar sound immediately and was hooked. Found out they would release the 2 minute samples on their website in 1.5 weeks, got into those while the US version of ODR was on pre-order.

The pre-order took an extra week, so I downloaded the album beforehand. The week after me and my brother were listening to US odr while having tickets to their first amsterdam show sent over. The album wasn't officially out yet, but I wasn't alone - the entire hall knew all the songs already to myles' surprise.

Myles: "How do you guys know all the songs so well?" * chirp chirp* - random guy in the audience: "It's on your website!" lol. The venue had odr discs so we bought more of them because no shop here carried them anywhere which made me sad as I had become a huge fan from the get go, and I visit every show they do over here.

Met stijn the next show in utrecht and he knew the schedule for the next leg already, which I was very grateful of, as well as the anticipated wait for the next album because he knew the label stuff would be happening back then.

Seriously, I discovered AB through MTV. Not lying here. One hell of a swan song for it to become the epitome of junk tv straight after!

wdttw
Bought The CDs

Post by wdttw »

uctalum01 wrote:WWE. I'm a diehard Edgehead. when he started using Metalingus as his theme song I thought the song was awesome and bought ODR for it. listened through the whole thing after I bought it and the rest, as they say, is history.
This. And This.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Slash's concert in Belgrade. Was impressed by Myles and checked his band and was blown away with live version of Blackbird

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

First song I've heard was Metalingus as Edge's entrance theme in WWE, just as many others. I didn't really search for more music of the band at first because that was the time where I were not that much into metal or rock, apart from listening to Linkin Park all the time. At one point, I thought to myself that I should expand my horizon in this direction, and searched for lots of alternative metal/hard rock music in the internet. With Alter Bridge, I asked a friend who really was into metal (but listened to a lot of way harder stuff at that time) to show me some music I could enjoy, and AB was one of the bands he showed me. That was after Blackbird was released, so I didn't start with ODR and listened to Blackbird first (which is probably the reason why I think that ODR is by far their weakest album, although I still love it - I don't have those sentimental feelings towards it and see it as what it is). And yeah, that's when I started to realise that Alter Bridge indeed is the best band in the world.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

My dad got me into Creed around 2006, but at that time I didn't have the Internet so I wasn't even aware that they had disbanded. I got the Internet around August 2007 and found out that Creed was no longer a thing and Mark, Scott and Brian formed AB, I listened to Open Your Eyes and was pretty much blown away. Right after that, Blackbird came out and it was the first album by them that I gave a listening, ODR came second.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Raven
White Knuckled

Post by Raven »

I was a Creed fan and out of boredom was looking for new music in store and see Alter Bridge's cd with the big slogan 'from the members of Creed' or something like that and it was an instant buy and was hooked after the very first song 'Find the real'. Loved the voice and how complex the arrangement was compared to Creed and Mark really letting go for the 1st time as a guitarist

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Mate was a massive Creed fan, after they broke up he told me to listen to the guitarist's new band. First song I heard was Open Your Eyes. Liked it. Second was Broken Wings. Instant love.
For all of the hope that it brings...