AB V

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: AB V

Post by Timotheus »

I'd gladly wait 3 years for an album with the consistency of One Day Remains, which only had 11 songs.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

With respect to Mark, I think his argument for keeping it at 11 songs is kinda poo. He can argue that he wants 20 on his solo project recording because it would be a shame for all those ideas not to see the light of day but then limits the scope of AB. The only way these two statements line up in my mind is if they've run out of ideas for AB in the "queue" whereas the Tremonti project had a bunch of stuff laying around but from what I've heard, Mark has a ton of little ideas that just need nurturing and the right outlet.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

the AB album talk sounds like the right direction for Alter Bridge, only focusing on those 11 songs will benefit the album in so many ways. We'll be getting ODR consistency, and I could see them taking advantage of the shorter amount of songs by adding more to the songs, there's a good chance the experimental side of AB will show more often.
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Fish Tacos wrote:With respect to Mark, I think his argument for keeping it at 11 songs is kinda poo. He can argue that he wants 20 on his solo project recording because it would be a shame for all those ideas not to see the light of day but then limits the scope of AB. The only way these two statements line up in my mind is if they've run out of ideas for AB in the "queue" whereas the Tremonti project had a bunch of stuff laying around but from what I've heard, Mark has a ton of little ideas that just need nurturing and the right outlet.
I think this is mainly because Mark is the only person who has to like a riff in order for it to be used in a Tremonti track. Sure, it's a "band," but Mark pretty much has all the songwriting control from what I understand.

With Alter Bridge, most ideas are only used if they're liked by all 4 members. I remember after AB III came out, Mark mentioned how he and Myles disagreed on a few songs that should make the final cut, so they just compromised and put 14 songs on the album. From what I understand, the ideas used on Fortress were a bit more unanimously decided by the entire band, and I think it shows.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

11 songs... blah

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Seriously? You've not even heard it.

Post by Inconquerable »

I turn my nose up at 11 songs!

*Listens to Fortress, a 12 song album.*

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

The more songs the merrier.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I just want them to do whatever they think is best for the album. How's that for a diplomatic answer?

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

As of fan I just want AB music lol

Wylde 1919
Bought The CDs

Post by Wylde 1919 »

James Hetfield once said that Load and Re-Load was a terrible album because they had like fifty songs and it made the product bad. Remember when bands only did eight to ten songs, they were the best for that album, and made you want more. And everyone seems to like Blackbird, Fortress, Cry of Achilles etc. I would take more progressive songs over a fourteen song album.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Wylde 1919 wrote:James Hetfield once said that Load and Re-Load was a terrible album because they had like fifty songs and it made the product bad. Remember when bands only did eight to ten songs, they were the best for that album, and made you want more. And everyone seems to like Blackbird, Fortress, Cry of Achilles etc. I would take more progressive songs over a fourteen song album.
The thing is that those bands released albums every 1-2 year, something that AB does not do. So when AB releases an album, every three years, it's got to be pretty meaty in terms of length (55 min. - 65 min.), or else, some people may feel a little shortchanged of it. Thankfully, they have yet to release an album that went below 55 min. so it's not that concerning.

Wylde 1919
Bought The CDs

Post by Wylde 1919 »

At least AB aren't on Tools time frames. As a die hard Tool fan, the wait for eleven songs feels like an eternity. I've literally aged ten years sine their last release.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

anguyen92 wrote:The thing is that those bands released albums every 1-2 year, something that AB does not do. So when AB releases an album, every three years, it's got to be pretty meaty in terms of length (55 min. - 65 min.), or else, some people may feel a little shortchanged of it. Thankfully, they have yet to release an album that went below 55 min. so it's not that concerning.
I don't necessarily care about how many songs are on the album, just as long as the album is a good length in terms of minutes. I would rather hear a couple longer songs than a few more short (er) songs.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

I wanna see them put out a song that clocks in at over 10 minutes. :D

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

If I have the choice of 11 songs and a three year wait, or 12 songs and a three year wait. I'm gonna choose 12 every time. Just sayin.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

As long as it does not end up in receiving an "Outright" every three years.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

One Drew Remains wrote:If I have the choice of 11 songs and a three year wait, or 12 songs and a three year wait. I'm gonna choose 12 every time. Just sayin.
I'd rather have 2 COA's or Fortresses than 4 Cry A Rivers or Peace is Brokens.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I agree with Timo
Thanks Timo!

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Timotheus wrote: I'd rather have 2 COA's or Fortresses than 4 Cry A Rivers or Peace is Brokens.
Timo! You never have anything negative to say! I'm screenshotting this for posterity.

I'd rather have 8 Bleed it Drys #amidoingthisrite