3 Doors Down Claims Sevendust and Creed As Early Inspiration

A place for all Creed discussion.
Torsten
Loyal Follower

3 Doors Down Claims Sevendust and Creed As Early Inspiration

Post by Torsten »

Running for almost a decade and a half, 3 Doors Down weren’t always the wily rock veterans that they are today. In talking with the band’s guitarist Chris Henderson, he credited two bands as major inspirations early on in the group’s career; Creed and Sevendust. Henderson says that both bands taught them some really important lessons.

“I have to say Mark Tremonti has been one of the guys that I’ve always looked up to,” said Henderson in a recent interview with Alternative Addiction. “Going out with Creed early on in our career was really cool because they showed us a lot of things. Mark Tremonti, Phillips, and Brian Marshall… those guys were some of the greatest musicians out there and some of the nicest cats.

“Being able to tour with that band showed us what to do and what not to do. So we have to thank them because there were some really cool things that came out of the Creed days and they showed us the ropes. That band was doing everything, they were one of the biggest bands in the world and they were living it. We went out on the road and we got to see that. We got to see that without having anything to lose too,” added Henderson.

The 3 Doors Down guitarist went on to talk about one of his favorite bands, Sevendust. While Creed helped guide the band early in their career. Sevendust proved to be a big influence on 3 Doors Down’s live show.

“We also toured with Sevendust on that tour and that’s one of the greatest live bands that we’ve ever seen. Being on the road with those guys and watching those guys night after night, you get to see a real band work. That was one of the coolest things for us, to watch them and try and emulate them. Over the years we’ve picked up things from that band and brought it into our live show. It’s made us more aggressive and a tighter band altogether because they are so good. They’re still that good.”

3 Doors Down went on to tour with everyone from Seether, Nickelback, Lifehouse, Daughtry, Our Lady Peace, and a seemingly endless list of band’s tied to the alternative genre. More recently however, the band did some touring with ZZ Top. Chris said there was both good and bad with that tour.

“I enjoyed that tour but I’m glad it’s over. We toured with Skynyrd years ago and that was a better fit. The Skynyrd fans accepted us more than some of the ZZ fans did and I don’t really know why. You had to go out and really earn that crowd night after night, it made us a better band but sometimes it was hard. I think we grew from that tour, but yeah... I’m glad it’s over. It was almost like playing in front of music critics every night; you just didn’t want to make any mistakes. It took a little bit of the spontaneity out of it.”

Last edited by Torsten on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: 3 Doors Down Claims Sevendust and Creed As Early Inspira

Post by abw1987 »

Very cool. I wonder how he felt when Alter Bridge opened for 3 Doors Down back in the day. Much like when Slash opened for Creed a little while ago.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I'll tell you how - it's not! BAM!

Post by zazthespaz »

abw1987 wrote: Much like when Slash opened for Creed a little while ago.
what? when did that happen?

and how is this AB related?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Great
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

zazthespaz wrote:

It was at one of the US festivals last spring. Can't remember if it was Rocklahoma or Rock Fest.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Rocklahoma
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

zazthespaz wrote:

Not necessarily AB-related... just making a comparison. I imagine when AB opened for 3DD, Chris Henderson probably thought "this is crazy - my idol is opening for my band!" Similarly, when Slash opened for Creed, I remember Mark making a comment about how crazy/backwards it was.

And yeah, it was at Rocklahoma on May 25, 2012.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Der_Metzgermeister can announce me over a PA!

Post by zazthespaz »

i didn't mean your comment, but the article in general. would be kind of odd having your idol open for you
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

Torsten wrote:"Mark Tremonti, Phillips, and Brian Marshall… those guys were some of the greatest musicians out there and some of the nicest cats."
I lol'd at this. I think he missed a certain member.
:yeahthat

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

BennyWhatever wrote:
Torsten wrote:"Mark Tremonti, Phillips, and Brian Marshall… those guys were some of the greatest musicians out there and some of the nicest cats."
I think he left a certain member out of that statement on purpose

nagpo
Burn It Down

Post by nagpo »

BennyWhatever wrote:
Knowing Stapp, at the time he probably didn't bother even talking to them. lol

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I can't imagine the stories they have on Stapp.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

First time I saw Creed was in 2000, on this tour with 3DD and 7Dust. I was very impressed with 3DD as an opener, and fell in love with them there. Same with Sevendust, as I hadn't even know who they were at that point - went out and bought the Home CD and never looked back. I think it'd be pretty awesome to have this same lineup get back together (with AB in the Creed spot, though).
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I remember reading something about Jerry Cantrell saying he toured with them and they never even took the time to say hi. I wonder if that was issued more at Stapp or the rest of the band. Thoughts?
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23