New Creed Album Doubtful. Newer Stapp Interview...

A place for all Creed discussion.
gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: New Creed Album Doubtful. Newer Stapp Interview...

Post by gbruin »

chtimixeur wrote:To those who want Erock in the band, I have one question for you : would you like to see Led Zeppelin or Rage Against The Machine with a second guitar player ? I know I wouldn't, because it would ruin the essence of the band. It's pretty much the same with Creed for me.
You'll need to tell Mark. Tell him he's ruining the essence of his band.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:To those who want Erock in the band, I have one question for you : would you like to see Led Zeppelin or Rage Against The Machine with a second guitar player ? I know I wouldn't, because it would ruin the essence of the band. It's pretty much the same with Creed for me.
You'll need to tell Mark. Tell him he's ruining the essence of his band.
Mmhmm. Besides, to answer the question... if it adds a desirable element to the music, then yes, yes I would like to see a second guitarist in Zep, Rage, or any other band. Music evolves. The landscape evolves. Eric's harmonies, the mandolin spots, the rhythm playing so Mark can do his solos without the live song suffering, and his overall stage presence have added an element to the "new Creed" that made it entirely more palatable to me than 4 guys just getting together to bust off a bunch of songs I loved 10 years ago.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

@chtimixeur whats your opinion of Myles bringing the guitar into Alter Bridge, wasn't originally intended, did Myles ruin the essence of the band?
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

axlar wrote:@chtimixeur whats your opinion of Myles bringing the guitar into Alter Bridge, wasn't originally intended, did Myles ruin the essence of the band?

IMO, that was one of the best things he did. But Creed always was a four-piece band (not counting My Own Prison Blue Collar Version) with only one guitar, and that thing made it special. We shouldn't compare AB and Creed in this case.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

axlar wrote:@chtimixeur whats your opinion of Myles bringing the guitar into Alter Bridge, wasn't originally intended, did Myles ruin the essence of the band?
Well, if you want my opinion, I'll give it to you. Myles is a good guitar player, but he's overrated by his fans and he doesn't shine AT ALL in Alter Bridge, simply because most of the songs are hard rock songs, and that's not his forte.
He's a subtile guitar player, with a great "touch", and i loved what he did in the Mayfield Four, i really do. But he's as generic as you can get when he starts writing hard rock material.

So, to answer your question, yes, I think it was a mistake to let him play guitar in AB. For me, ODR annihilates Blackbird an ABIII creatively and sonically, and I'm convinced AB would have released better albums if Mark had kept on writing all the music just like he did in the Creed days and on ODR. Plus, Myles has become a subpar singer live since he's started playing guitar on stage : he keeps avoiding the big notes ("that's right" :facepalm ), and because of his guitar playing, he can't focus on his vocal performance as much as he did in 2004.

So, to sum it up, here's my opinion about Mark and Myles as music composers :
Mark in early Creed days > Myles Kennedy as a solo artist > Mark in ODR > Mark+Myles writing as a team in Alter bridge

As I've said numerous times, I'd love to hear an Alter Bridge album where Mark and Myles wrote ENTIRE songs seperately, instead of artificially mashing up parts together. Mark would deliver the 1997-2004 heavy tunes, and Myles would bring some more subtile and heartfelt (aoustic ?) stuff. But it probably won't ever happen : they're in their comfort zone, and fans keep telling them how great they are even when they're releasing subpar albums (ABIII, anyone ?).

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

i see where you are coming from.. though i do think the extra guitar lines during the live shows add to the power of songs and the sounds of the band..

I like your idea where mark or myles would write a complete song..
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

chtimixeur wrote:and fans keep having different opinions about their latest albums than I do.
Fixed.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

chtimixeur wrote:But it probably won't ever happen : they're in their comfort zone, and fans keep telling them how great they are even when they're releasing subpar albums (ABIII, anyone ?).
That's only your opinion.

Mark would deliver the 1997-2004 heavy tunes, and Myles would bring some more subtile and heartfelt (aoustic ?) stuff.
And we will end up with half of the album filled with metal songs and second half with acoustic ones. Is that what you really want?

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

If they were going to do that, why even have the band? They have their outlets for their own individual creativities (Tremonti Project, Slash, Myles' eventual solo album). These two blending their complementary styles is what gave us gems like Blackbird, Slip To The Void, Brand New Start, etc. I wouldn't want to lose that.

...how did we end up on an AB kick in the Creed topic anyway? lol
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

TenaciousBe wrote:. These two blending their complementary styles is what gave us gems like Blackbird, Slip To The Void, Brand New Start, etc. I wouldn't want to lose that.
And this is a perfect point.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

dolo1993 wrote:

IMO, that was one of the best things he did. But Creed always was a four-piece band (not counting My Own Prison Blue Collar Version) with only one guitar, and that thing made it special. We shouldn't compare AB and Creed in this case.
mark played guitar on the blue collar MOP cd...no one else.
Photobucket cash grab.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Ryan wrote:
dolo1993 wrote:

What about Brian Brasher?

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I've been reading stapps book, so far basher is only mentioned in the photo section. When he talks about the early days of the band, he never even mentions basher. He was probably rather insignificant.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Yeah, the guitar tracking on the first album(s) is pretty sparce and definitely sounds like one guitar player.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

dolo1993 wrote:
Ryan wrote:
dolo1993 wrote:

What about Brian Brasher?
Nope. He was in the band very, very early on. I think before they called the band Creed.
Photobucket cash grab.

Alter Bridge 23
Bought The CDs

Post by Alter Bridge 23 »

Any news on a Creed album?

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Basher mentions on Facebook that he helped the band to write huge singles like "One" and "What's This Life For".
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

George wrote:Basher mentions on Facebook that he helped the band to write huge singles like "One" and "What's This Life For".
Somehow I never heard of this guy. So he was in Naked Toddler essentially? If he's claiming that on Facebook, he's more or less claiming royalties owed. I wonder if he's filed any lawsuit

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Here's a picture of Brasher on the far left during their college days

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I found him on LinkedIn a couple years back... lol.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/bbrasher

I guess LinkedIn profiles are not publicly viewable any more, but here's what it used to say:
Brasher cut his teeth in the music business as a founding member and Guitar Player for the multi-platinum selling recording artist CREED, a Florida-based rock band that sold over 20 million albums. He is a co-writer and collaborator on two of Creed's #1 hit songs "What's this Life For" and "One".