That was probably just what was needed.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: Scott's Book Excerpt

Post by nagpo »

Yeah...no point in continuing.
Last edited by nagpo on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

It's ALWAYS going to be a tense subject, so why bring it up? Unless we can have a mature conversation, its probably not the best idea, and I don't forsee that happening. AB and Creed fans will always have a hard time getting along, except for the small minority that enjoy both bands, like myself. What has the endless bitching these past 3 years accomplished? Nothing. So live and let live

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

facelessman07 wrote:It's ALWAYS going to be a tense subject, so why bring it up? Unless we can have a mature conversation, its probably not the best idea, and I don't forsee that happening. AB and Creed fans will always have a hard time getting along, except for the small minority that enjoy both bands, like myself. What has the endless bitching these past 3 years accomplished? Nothing. So live and let live
Well put.
Photobucket cash grab.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Wow, I just spent a half hour reading this thread start to finish, and I kind of wish I hadn't. Everyone needs to settle down. In real life, I'm sure everyone would be much more respectful while voicing opposing opinions. Just because we're on the internet doesn't give us a free pass to insult each other. Honestly.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Anyway, I finished the book last night. I was quite surprised by how good it was. I actually read it using the Kindle app on my phone, which I really didn't mind since the book was so intriguing. It doesn't surprise me that Stapp claims he excelled at academics; the book is quite well written... though I'm sure it was thoroughly edited as well.

I knew he had an overbearing father, but I had no idea his upbringing was so rough in terms of home life. It's no wonder he's so messed up in the head. It was really interesting to read about his younger years.

I do wish he included more specifics about Creed's heyday. He would often say something like "I had become depressed again and the band's relationship was strained" or something, but we didn't really have any context as to how that happened. I realize the point of this book was not to trash talk his bandmates, or to make excuses for his behaviors, but some more specifics would have been nice.

Overall, it seems like he was trying to be pretty honest. He took ownership for a lot of his transgressions, but made sure to point out that perhaps he was not to blame for everything. He knows he has plenty of problems and is battling all kinds of demons.

If anyone is still on the fence about buying this, I'd highly recommend it. It's a good read.

abw1987
Blood Machines

IT'S MEGA QUOTE TIME!!!!!

Post by abw1987 »

chtimixeur wrote:Interesting to know Creed was supposed to do an international tour in 2010...
I was also surprised to learn he was in "financial need" at the end of 2010. I mean, anyone could tell his income wasn't as big as in the early 2000's, but I didn't think it was that bad.
I guess that's why he sold his beloved gear collection.
I thought I remembered hearing about an international tour that ended up being cancelled because his addiction to painkillers had taken hold again. Or maybe that was a solo tour?

I believe you are thinking of Mark whose gear all ended up on eBay a little while ago.
Jhenrid wrote:Anybody else think it's weird that according to Stapp, Mark didn't like the Creed dvd and didn't want to support the director but then turns around and let him do the Live at Wembley? Dan Catullo did both of AB's dvds and Creeds.
That did strike me as odd. Maybe AB had signed an exclusivity contract with Dan Catullo for all future DVDs.
chtimixeur wrote:I think Stapp's theory about Windup sabotaging Full Circle's promotion is a bit stupid. The record was simply not as good as the previous ones, most people had stopped buying records, and most important, a lot of fans had moved on (which happens to 99% of bands).
I had a bit of a chuckle at that. All things considered, the record did well by today's standards. Maybe the promotion wasn't where it used to be, (I'm sure partly because album promotion doesn't pay off nearly as much for labels now as it used to,) but they did have a successful rock single ("Overcome") on the radio when the album was released.

The sabotage theory also reminds me of his theory that the press hates him for demanding the entire band be pictured on the cover of Rolling Stone, who then went around painting him as a diva. I think his public image had been suffering for plenty of other reasons.
NytestrykerZ wrote:One of my favorite parts about Clapton's book was that he owned up to all of his shortcomings and problems.
I agree about Clapton's bio. It was a good read, and he fully recognizes his douchebaggery. He screwed over a lot of people for his personal gain. I guess it worked out for him.
nagpo wrote:Tremonti was the one who kicked Brian out of the band. It was drug related. This was unrelated to the rumor about what brian said about Eddie Vedder and stapp on the radio.
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone really believed that Brian's radio gaffe caused his dismissal from the band. It was an easy thing to blame it on. I had no idea it was drug-related though... I figured it was just personalities clashing. Plus I remember hearing a long time ago that Stapp wanted to split the touring money three ways instead of four.

I'm sure you're right about Mark's character flaw as well. I'm a tremendous Mark fan, but even I am willing to admit that it takes two to fight.
TremontiFan4Life wrote:One of the things that I was taught when I was a kid very early on was never to live or plan anything based on things you have not received yet, or counting your chickens before they hatch so they say I'm surprised that even with his status Scott still struggles with some financial difficulty even though in large part he is still relatively young and in his creative prime.
Exactly. I think a lot of stars believe that their stardom will continue and the funds will always be plentiful. Obviously that's not the case. I was surprised that he had financial troubles though. Those guys made a LOT of money back in the day, and even if he spent a couple million on his parents, it surprises me that he still doesn't have a lot left.
MidnightToker wrote:I think I've found the only references to Alter Bridge in the book. There are four, I believe, none of which reference AB or Myles by name.
Haha, something tells me Scott was writing this book right around the time of the Twitter debacle. ("I don't believe in cross-promotion", etc.) Sounds like there is a bit of envy.
RuRo wrote:But enough about that. I haven't got this book but just based on what I've seen from it I think there is definitely resentment about Alter Bridge stealing all the time away from Creed, regardless of whether Alter Bridge are going to get any bigger or not. Maybe things are completely fine though, and Stapp is just willing to be bluntly honest about feelings he has that aren't going to become an issue. If it wasn't for this book then we'd only be able to speculate about how happy he is with the current situation - the fact that they spent all that time but didn't get round to recording a new album together could even suggest he wasn't that bothered about making a new album and was willing to wait, but I doubt that's the case.
It's a bit strange that the new album never came to fruition. It seemed like the guys were successfully writing new material over the last tour. Maybe it'll just take a while longer.

This also reminds me of that single "More Than This" that was supposed to be released during one of the tours over the last couple years, but Scott was not able to finish the vocals in time. I wonder if something else really went on there.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: IT'S MEGA QUOTE TIME!!!!!

Post by chtimixeur »

abw1987 wrote:I believe you are thinking of Mark whose gear all ended up on eBay a little while ago.
Nope. :D
Scott sold some stuff on Sonic Circus :
http://soniccircus.com/Scott-Stapp-Collection

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Times are tough, it would seem.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

chtimixeur wrote:
abw1987 wrote:I believe you are thinking of Mark whose gear all ended up on eBay a little while ago.
Holy cow, I had no idea. That's a LOT of stuff.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

abw1987 wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:
Just so you know some of Mark stuff did go up on Ebay but I pretty sure that was more about just getting rid of equipment than trying to raise money.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Jhenrid wrote:
abw1987 wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:
Just so you know some of Mark stuff did go up on Ebay but I pretty sure that was more about just getting rid of equipment than trying to raise money.
It did, and I landed one of his old Fender amps :D
Photobucket cash grab.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Jhenrid wrote:Just so you know some of Mark stuff did go up on Ebay but I pretty sure that was more about just getting rid of equipment than trying to raise money.
Yeah, as I recall, he traded it in at a boutique guitar/amp shop. Mark gave it to the owner of the store, who sold it all on eBay, and then gave Mark store credit for the total selling amount.

Der_Metzgermeister
Loyal Follower

Post by Der_Metzgermeister »

Alex, I believe the cancelled tour was a solo tour to Brazil.