Creed getting back together in 2020?

A place for all Creed discussion.
User avatar
Devil Inside You
Brand New Start
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:13 am

Re: Creed getting back together in 2020?

Postby Devil Inside You » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 am

anguyen92 wrote:
Devil Inside You wrote:I just wish someone would tell him when you have something that connects with over 50 million people, the opinion of some guy from Rolling Stone, Blabbermouth or Pearl Jam is worth less than nothing.


Ok, counterpoint and question. What about the value of the AB fans that came in totally fresh not knowing anything at all about that Mark, Flip, and Brian was in another band prior to discovering AB? Are we worth nothing?


Of course not! Post-Creed Alter Bridge fans are arguably the backbone of the band's career, more so than all the Creed fans who crossed over. This is especially evident in how many Alter Bridge fans claim to not even like Creed or not care for it. However, the difference between you guys, and the Creed fans is at no point has Mark undermined or diminished your role. And this is an exaggeration, seeing as Mark loves all his fans. However, no one is calling to question Mark's commitment to Alter Bridge or his appreciation of Alter Bridge's fans. The same cannot be said for Creed.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Creed getting back together in 2020?

Postby Jhenrid » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:06 am

Devil Inside You wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:
Devil Inside You wrote:I just wish someone would tell him when you have something that connects with over 50 million people, the opinion of some guy from Rolling Stone, Blabbermouth or Pearl Jam is worth less than nothing.


Ok, counterpoint and question. What about the value of the AB fans that came in totally fresh not knowing anything at all about that Mark, Flip, and Brian was in another band prior to discovering AB? Are we worth nothing?


Of course not! Post-Creed Alter Bridge fans are arguably the backbone of the band's career, more so than all the Creed fans who crossed over. This is especially evident in how many Alter Bridge fans claim to not even like Creed or not care for it. However, the difference between you guys, and the Creed fans is at no point has Mark undermined or diminished your role. And this is an exaggeration, seeing as Mark loves all his fans. However, no one is calling to question Mark's commitment to Alter Bridge or his appreciation of Alter Bridge's fans. The same cannot be said for Creed.


Well you can't really say there's 50 million fans. Not to mention he has pretty much said that the demand for Creed isn't actually that high. When they did those last Creed tours they didn't really sell like they thought it would. If you take from the stand point of doing a similar amount of business with a band you know you aren't going to have any drama with versus a band where you've been twice burned what do you pick. Not to mention he seems to have a wider creative box in his other bands it's not that weird. There's a jasta interview he did a few years back where you can understand his stance better.

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: Creed getting back together in 2020?

Postby chtimixeur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 am

Devil Inside You wrote:I think where most fans are upset is in the way Mark addresses Creed outside of Stapp. He usually refers to Creed as something he's embarrassed about because of how "simple" or "straightforward" Creed was (those are his words). I personally don't blame him for Creed not being active, and I never will after Stapp's meltdown in 2014. However, just look at that interview clip someone posted in this thread. Mark does seem to have preference to Alter Bridge and Tremonti because both have more critical praise than Creed. And that's fine, Alter Bridge and Tremonti are excellent examples of modern music in a time where Lil Pump and Cardi B exist. However, just because Creed was critically panned doesn't mean Mark should invalidate the millions of fans and followers the band still has. He clearly knows the value in songwriting so its not a technicality thing of Creed over Alter Bridge/Tremonti. I just wish someone would tell him when you have something that connects with over 50 million people, the opinion of some guy from Rolling Stone, Blabbermouth or Pearl Jam is worth less than nothing.

:bow
GREAT post, mate. I couldn't say it better.

Jhenrid wrote:However, the difference between you guys, and the Creed fans is at no point has Mark undermined or diminished your role. And this is an exaggeration, seeing as Mark loves all his fans. However, no one is calling to question Mark's commitment to Alter Bridge or his appreciation of Alter Bridge's fans. The same cannot be said for Creed.

Indeed.
I don't think AB fans would appreciate it if Mark said It made me angry when people would call us 'Alter Bridge Part 2' or 'Now we're Creed, we're no longer those Alter Bridge guys.'

Well you can't really say there's 50 million fans. Not to mention he has pretty much said that the demand for Creed isn't actually that high. When they did those last Creed tours they didn't really sell like they thought it would.

I've always felt that Mark took Creed's success for granted.
Their 2009 and 2010 tours didn't sell out for many reasons:
- the economy was really bad
- they hadn't released a new album in 8 years
- Full Circle didn't sound like old Creed, and its singles were average at best. None of them made a real impact on radio. Creed 1.0 was a radio band who built its huge success on huge radio hits.
- Stapp's voice was shot, and with Youtube, it was easy to know it before buying a ticket.
- do you remember those crazy fast tempos? The band just didn't play those songs the way they should have.
- Stapp's hair was gone :rolleyes . I know it can sound ridiculous, but I remember reading some comments about Creed getting a new singer, because casual listeners didn't recognize him.

Dolo wrote:Well, actually, he cares about the fans but that's not a good thing either. He is selling bullshit like 'Our fans seem to enjoy those epic tunes so we're making a couple them this time', 'we couldn't make a totally keyboard-based album because fans would kill us' with Walk The Sky. Other bands don't give a crap about what the fans want and that's how you develop and evolve.

I totally agree.
One good example is Metallica. They've never cared about what their fans wanted, and the best example is Load/Reload. Everyone wanted The Black Album 2.0, and Hetfield & Ulrich chose to record music they actually liked instead.
The latter Led Zeppelin albums are another great example. When you're a musician, you should always follow your heart instead of thinking too much about what's best for your career.

austin.
On The Rail
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Creed getting back together in 2020?

Postby austin. » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 am

Creed in 2009 was one of the largest shows I’ve seen. 18-20k there IIRC

chtimixeur
On The Rail
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am

Re: Creed getting back together in 2020?

Postby chtimixeur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 am

Was that in Texas? I remember it was one their most loyal audiences over the years. But elsewhere, I think I read venues were filled 65 or 70%, and lots of tickets were sold at a low price.

austin.
On The Rail
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Creed getting back together in 2020?

Postby austin. » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Atlanta. It was slammed although now that you say it I do remember some shows not selling over 80% but still.... Creed would fill medium sized places to max capacity if they only hit like 20 cities. Their last tours were pretty extensive in the US

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: Creed getting back together in 2020?

Postby Jhenrid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 am

chtimixeur wrote:
Jhenrid wrote:However, the difference between you guys, and the Creed fans is at no point has Mark undermined or diminished your role. And this is an exaggeration, seeing as Mark loves all his fans. However, no one is calling to question Mark's commitment to Alter Bridge or his appreciation of Alter Bridge's fans. The same cannot be said for Creed.

Indeed.
I don't think AB fans would appreciate it if Mark said It made me angry when people would call us 'Alter Bridge Part 2' or 'Now we're Creed, we're no longer those Alter Bridge guys.'


Pretty sure if you're a fan of either band you wouldn't refer to them like that as you yourself would feel that is disrespectful to them and not a fair assessment to either band and what the singers bring to the table. I'm pretty sure the only time any fan of them would use a reference like that is to explain who the other band is. BTW that is not my quote.

Jhenrid wrote:Well you can't really say there's 50 million fans. Not to mention he has pretty much said that the demand for Creed isn't actually that high. When they did those last Creed tours they didn't really sell like they thought it would.


chtimixeur wrote:I've always felt that Mark took Creed's success for granted.
Their 2009 and 2010 tours didn't sell out for many reasons:
- the economy was really bad
- they hadn't released a new album in 8 years
- Full Circle didn't sound like old Creed, and its singles were average at best. None of them made a real impact on radio. Creed 1.0 was a radio band who built its huge success on huge radio hits.
- Stapp's voice was shot, and with Youtube, it was easy to know it before buying a ticket.
- do you remember those crazy fast tempos? The band just didn't play those songs the way they should have.
- Stapp's hair was gone :rolleyes . I know it can sound ridiculous, but I remember reading some comments about Creed getting a new singer, because casual listeners didn't recognize him.

Dolo wrote:Well, actually, he cares about the fans but that's not a good thing either. He is selling bullshit like 'Our fans seem to enjoy those epic tunes so we're making a couple them this time', 'we couldn't make a totally keyboard-based album because fans would kill us' with Walk The Sky. Other bands don't give a crap about what the fans want and that's how you develop and evolve.

I totally agree.
One good example is Metallica. They've never cared about what their fans wanted, and the best example is Load/Reload. Everyone wanted The Black Album 2.0, and Hetfield & Ulrich chose to record music they actually liked instead.
The latter Led Zeppelin albums are another great example. When you're a musician, you should always follow your heart instead of thinking too much about what's best for your career.


You can't site Full Circle not sounding like Creed as the reason people didn't go see them and then turn around as say they shouldn't care what the fans think. Personally I liked FC and do think had Creed never broken up that would be in their natural progression over the years. Also I think it's a good idea to at least consider what your doing as far as not going full tilt into changing your style because AB isn't as big as Metallica and may not be able to survive without a core fanbase willing to come see them because they pulled a Linkin Park and changed their sound so drastically.


Return to “Creed”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest