My Own Prison - Blue Collar Version

A place for all Creed discussion.
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

My Own Prison - Blue Collar Version

Post by scarecrow »

How much are these worth in 2018? I know they were going for hundreds of dollars in the early 2000s. I just bought a sealed copy on eBay for $25 and was curious if that was a good deal or if they're fairly easy to get a hold of these days.

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: My Own Prison - Blue Collar Version

Post by nagpo »

I don't know but it's a cool collectors item from a fans perspective at least. I don't know if people put any value in CD's at all anymore.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Yeah, it wasn't something I was actively looking for but I owed it to my 15-year-old self, haha.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

What exactly are the differences between the Blue Collar and the "normal" version?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:What exactly are the differences between the Blue Collar and the "normal" version?
I think the Blue Collar version was the album they recorded before they got signed to a major label.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Andy92 wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:What exactly are the differences between the Blue Collar and the "normal" version?
I think the Blue Collar version was the album they recorded before they got signed to a major label.
Yea, and I listened to the blue collar version of My Own Prison and it sounded pretty much the same.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

What's This Life For has an extra intro on the Blue Collar Version that Mark used to play live. Other than that the mix is just different, more organic I would say.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I think One sounds a bit different as well

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah I was gonna say, One and What’s This Life For are the only two tracks that have more noticeable differences.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Mr. Slash wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
Yea, and I listened to the blue collar version of My Own Prison and it sounded pretty much the same.
It's actually 45 seconds longer. Extended intro (which I like), some additional backing vocals, and a few other differences.

Sister is different, too. The chorus is "little girl, little girl" instead of "little sister, little girl." The Wind-Up version is definitely better in that respect.

Honestly as an audiophile it's a unique experience and hearing it in high quality has been very enjoyable. I always thought the sheen that Wind-Up put on it was weird. It's essentially a homemade rock record and the Blue Collar version is rawer, as it should be. Mark's guitars are definitely higher in the mix. Not as much low end.
Last edited by scarecrow on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Oh and Illusion is referred to as Allusion on the back of the case and in the booklet (including lyrics). I wonder if that was intentional or a misspelling gone wrong.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

nagpo wrote:I think One sounds a bit different as well
Yes, a lot different. Different vocals, different guitar parts, different bridge entirely. I like it!

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Yeah I mostly like the blue collar version more as well except for maybe sister for reasons already posted. I remember reading an interview about the people who worked on it, maybe it was Kurzweg, how he disliked the mixer or something that Wind-up used on the record because it sounded too overproduced. I think I read it on this but I don't recall where or when. Someone had posted a link to it I think.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

And if you want even more raw era Mop songs check out Why and Blistered which were on the retrospective. They barely sound like creed to me. They must've been some of their first songs.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

scarecrow wrote:Oh and Illusion is referred to as Allusion on the back of the case and in the booklet (including lyrics). I wonder if that was intentional or a misspelling gone wrong.
Has this ever been addressed by the band? I'd love to hear what happened there. I wish they would have kept "Allusion," I feel like that would have been a more creative word to use.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.