Creed V Wishlist

A place for all Creed discussion.
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Creed V Wishlist

Post by Dolo »

Them Bones wrote:Creed was from a time when the music was spreading around by word of mouth or reviews. And they were huge. AB and the new Creed and other projects seem to be catering to the "internet community" only, which is kinda pathetic.
Well, that's because rock/metal music was thrown out of "mainstream public" sometime around 2005-2007 by shitload of pop/electro/techno and whatnot. Speaking of metal in general: do you often happen to see Slipknot video being aired on public music TV channels? Not. Lady Gaga, One Direction, Beyonce? Of course. So even considering the fact that bands like Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, BFMV, Avenged Sevenfold are fairly popular, they do not get any noticeable amount of airplay on TV.

Regarding Mark's soloing matter: He has done some brilliant rock solos in his life, but his approach to soloing in metal is a bit exaggerated. He just tries too hard.
That's why I would rather see him playing rock than metal.
Last edited by Dolo on Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

not sure I agree with his metal being exaggerated but I do prefer Heavy Rock to Metal.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Mark has played rock/hard rock on every album he's produced. All I Was has some throwbacks to 80s thrash in songs like Wish You Well, but top to bottom, it's a hard rock record.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

dolo1993 wrote: Regarding Mark's soloing matter: He has done some brilliant rock solos in his life, but his approach to soloing in metal is a bit exaggerated. He just tries too hard.
I don't think so. The bridge of So You're Afraid sounds like Metal to me and the solo he plays there is just incredible. I love it.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Timotheus wrote:
Them Bones wrote:however, if you stop believing in your own art cuz somebody dosn't like it, shows you are doing it for them, and not for yourself
Hm, interesting opinion. I don't think he strayed away from the Creed sound because of all the Creed hate though.. I think he just wanted to make sure there was a distinction between AB and Creed. There's no way a band like AB can be a succesful band if they're going to be a 'copy' of the 'original' band.
So yea, Mark 'betrayed' his own sound by trying to do something different with AB. He could've fixed it with the Creed reunion, but he didn't. That entire reunion was one big disaster imo.. I can't think of anything good that came from it (besides money).

Ok.. With Creed coming back he could have gone back to his "Creed sound"? I agree that nothing great came out of the reunion apart from a lotta money. The thing is Mark has constantly been saying in interviews over the years that " he sucked back then", indirectly, but thats is precisely what he means. Admit it or not, but Mark has been indirectly trying to say that his music with Creed was mediocre. Something that he stood so well for, and now he wants to taint it all.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

dolo1993 wrote:
Them Bones wrote:Creed was from a time when the music was spreading around by word of mouth or reviews. And they were huge. AB and the new Creed and other projects seem to be catering to the "internet community" only, which is kinda pathetic.
Regarding Mark's soloing matter: He has done some brilliant rock solos in his life, but his approach to soloing in metal is a bit exaggerated. He just tries too hard.

Exactly. His entire idea of being a Metal guitarist sounds irritating to me. Have you listened to the videos of the Creed jams in 2012? the ones where Mark was playing these incredible leads/solos. How good was that? Haven't heard Mark play guitar like that, but when it comes to putting that stuff on a record, nope, doesnt happen.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It's quite simple when you think about it.
In his mind, Creed is a thing of the past, while Alter Bridge and his solo project represent his future.
Subconciously or unsubconciously, how could he be inspired to write something he truly doesn't believe in ?
When he wrote the first Creed records, Creed was his one and only band. It was the only band where he could express himself as a musician. He gave it his all back then, even though he was technically limited. You could tell if came from the heart.

Now, when he thinks of Creed, he thinks he has to dumb his music down to please its wider audience. No wonder he's not passionate about Creed if he thinks this way. In his mind, Alter Bridge and his solo project are the only outputs where he can show off on lead guitar.

Mark keeps saying he's not writing with a band name in mind, and that he organizes his ideas afterwards for each band. Fair enough, let's believe him.

But now, let's look at facts.
Since the 2009 reunion, Mark has written 17 ABIII songs + 14 ABIV songs = 31 AB songs
He's written 13 or 14 solo songs, and he's already planning a second solo album at the end of 2013.
Full Circle was mostly a bunch of Alter Bridge B-Sides (remember the interview where Flip said no one in the band could tell the difference between AB and Creed material). We know he's written one song in mid 2010 (More Than This) which sounded very much like My Sacrifice, but Stapp didn't record the vocals. And the 2011-2012 Creed sessions were quite unsuccessful since Mark admitted they only had 3 completed songs.
So that means Mark has only managed to write 4 full Creed songs since Full Circle.

This just shows you he's not into Creed anymore. If he were passionate about it, he'd write dozens of new Creed ideas just like he does for AB.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

With his solo record being successful and AB is about to tour for the next year and a half theres no room for Creed.

Creed had just toured for most of 2012 so there has been activity but no record.

And Tremonti won't come out with another Solo record until 2014.

Tremonti Won't ever admit it but he doesn't want to be with Creed anymore. I don't blame him but with AB being his favorite band and he loves Soloing so much why would be go to Creed and play the same songs over and over again

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

+ Creed has already Climaxed. It can't get anymore successful for them. The only way for that to happen again is to go to the old sound and become extremely commercial again and that isn't happening anytime soon.

AB is very close to become successful in the US and if that happens during 2014 then they should be getting a lot more attention and if that happens promoters will push for more touring ect.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Good point about Creed have already climaxed.
I'm not sure AB will ever be successful in the US though. Myles will be 44 this year. Have you ever seen a band with an "old" frontman suddenly getting succesful after a few releases ? If he were 25 or 30, I'd say "maybe". But in all honesty, I don't believe it can happen, especially in the US where youth is extremely important in the entertainement industry.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Yeah I think Mark is the youngest out of all of AB. I guess we can start discussing when EROCK will take over for AB ;)

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

AB close to breaking through in the US? ....lolololol
They got a number 1 single, yeah, but AB3 sold what.. 60k albums? Creed pulled more than that in the first week with Full Circle, and had Michael Jackson not died, Full Circle would've been a number 1 album
Alter Bridge had a better shot with Blackbird, which did somewhere around 100k i think
Sucks Creed will never get the attention they deserve again because hes more worried about his sub par other bands. i realise success isn't everything, but Creed was playing in 10-20,000 people amphitheaters in the US while AB was doing club shows. I would prefer the big stage, but thats just me.
I understand AB are big in the UK, but AB is a US born band, and the US doesn't love them

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

okay maybe breaking it in the US was an overstatement but they did reach #1. Thats no small task, and they played Live on Leno/and I think Lettermen but I could be mistaken.

I don't think management have done a good job with promotions because for the people who have listened to AB, most of them instantly get hooked so its the promoters and sales people to get them out there and I think that has lacked big time.

Art would from Marks brother isn't enough for Merchandise, they need way more and I love Full Circle.

Some really good songs on there

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Finaldecision wrote:
dolo1993 wrote: Regarding Mark's soloing matter: He has done some brilliant rock solos in his life, but his approach to soloing in metal is a bit exaggerated. He just tries too hard.
I don't think so. The bridge of So You're Afraid sounds like Metal to me and the solo he plays there is just incredible. I love it.
I knew that someone would raise So You're Afraid solo argument in here. Actually, this song is really cool, I remember that I was headbanging hard while listening to preview of it back in June or something like that. But compare this to Doesn't Matter solo for instance. Ok, maybe it's not really metal but anyway it sounds like a rip off from Fallout solo. Mark tends to overuse his legato skills, he just runs ascendingly and descendingly through fretboard which may serve backing track properly but starts to be annoying and boring if he provides something like that in each song. Why doesn't he try to write something like With Arms Wide Open-esque solo? Only a handful of notes, but placed perfectly.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

lol he does ascend and descend during Solos a hell of a lot. Its like his trademark for Solos

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Cthree922012 wrote:lol he does ascend and descend during Solos a hell of a lot. Its like his trademark for Solos
I have nothing against ascending and descending in solos, but on lastest records it turned out that he is "legatoing" up and down as if had not better idea what to play. I'm happy that Mark does his best in mastering various guitar technics, but it is a kind of exaggeration.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Them Bones wrote:Creed was from a time when the music was spreading around by word of mouth or reviews.
I think you're underestimating the effect VH1 and MTV had. This was back when they actually played music videos on TV and had countdowns, etc. I think that was a big part of Creed's success. I know VH1 in particular were pretty good to the band. They broadcast part of the first Weathered show live on TV, did the "Creed at Ease" special, played their Behind the Music all the time, etc.

I think TV and radio had just as much influence on Creed's success, if not more so, than word of mouth or reviews.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

MidnightToker wrote:
Them Bones wrote:Creed was from a time when the music was spreading around by word of mouth or reviews.
I think you're underestimating the effect VH1 and MTV had. This was back when they actually played music videos on TV and had countdowns, etc. I think that was a big part of Creed's success. I know VH1 in particular were pretty good to the band. They broadcast part of the first Weathered show live on TV, did the "Creed at Ease" special, played their Behind the Music all the time, etc.

I think TV and radio had just as much influence on Creed's success, if not more so, than word of mouth or reviews.
I partly agree with what you are saying. But don't you think apart from singles as well, a lot of Creed's music was famous? that wasn't played on T.V too much?The band did not have much live footage. It was restricted. Besides, I am from India, and this country would'nt have had anything related to Creed on any of its radio or T.V channels atleast until after the band broke up in 2004, but, a lot of us knew about Creed, trust me, a lot of us knew about the band even when there wasn't any access to the band's media or news. Local bands were covering Creed. There were cassettes of MOP and Human Clay. MTV wasn't playing any Creed here cuz it was more into the Indian music scene, and mostly stuff like Backstreet Boys and other Shit. VH1 was never launched here up until 2004 or 2005. Thats the effect that Creed had, in a lot of countries.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Them Bones wrote:
MidnightToker wrote:

I partly agree with what you are saying. But don't you think apart from singles as well, a lot of Creed's music was famous? that wasn't played on T.V too much?The band did not have much live footage. It was restricted. Besides, I am from India, and this country would'nt have had anything related to Creed on any of its radio or T.V channels atleast until after the band broke up in 2004, but, a lot of us knew about Creed, trust me, a lot of us knew about the band even when there wasn't any access to the band's media or news. Local bands were covering Creed. There were cassettes of MOP and Human Clay. MTV wasn't playing any Creed here cuz it was more into the Indian music scene, and mostly stuff like Backstreet Boys and other Shit. VH1 was never launched here up until 2004 or 2005. Thats the effect that Creed had, in a lot of countries.
I think we're forgetting that there's a big difference between US and the rest of the world. MTV and VH1 could really make or break a band here in the US, now today that's not as true as it was back when Creed was big.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

lol is it Bad that when ThemBones said he was from India I automatically started reading his post in an Indian ascent?

Always wanted to go there by the way!