Creed V Wishlist

A place for all Creed discussion.
Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Creed V Wishlist

Post by Shortman45 »

Since Scott said that they are going back to the studio next week.

I thought it would be cool to see what everyone thinks Creed should focus on for this album and recording sessions (I know most of the songs are probably all sorted by now, but who cares)

Here are some ideas I was thinking of:
- NO AUTOTUNE/Pitch Correction, let Scott just sing pure, who cares if its not perfect.
- More clean intros from mark, like old school Creed.
- More atmospheric vibey kinda songs, (like Inside Us All, Is This The End, Wrong Way)
- Focus on the melodies and not trying to use complicated guitar work just for the sake of it.
- Still remain heavy
- Get those catchy hooks back (but not too commercial)
- Use more growl in Scott's voice but less 'improvising' vocals he does now
- Maybe record on analog
- Don't use Elvis as producer

What do you guys think?

I am really excited for this album

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Creed V Wishlist

Post by Dolo »

If they want to get back to the original, classic sound, they should return to standard and Drop D tuning, because lower registers like Drop B (like they used on FC) are just too moody for them. I know that lately, Mark is fan of low tunings but he should keep all the low down tuned songs for his solo stuff or AB.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I've listed my wishes many times, but basically, I'd just love them to write an album that is in the same vein as the first three. That means going back to the former guitar settings (drop D), avoiding legato solos uptempo songs, and letting the songs breathe a little.

I am not sure they are able to do it though.
Mark seems stuck in his "alternative metal" phase, and Stapp may have found his voice back, but I'm not sure he knows how to use it properly (on Full Circle and his solo demos, the way he put words on the music didn't convince me at all - way too much repetition and awful "improvisation")

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I was just thinking about the ABIV thread before thinking about what I'd say for this thread, and it's strange, because with Alter Bridge I almost have more expectations, and expect better things from them, because they try to be a more complex band than Creed, try to seperate themselves, etc, and that's why I gave a long list of what I wanted from them. Whereas with Creed they don't try to be anything, they just be themselves, maybe it's because they wrote songs like With Arms Wide Open and Higher, which are probably two of the most hated and cheesey songs ever? So I think that's why I have less wishes for the next Creed album than the next AB album. Anyway, I don't really know what I'm getting at, just spilling out my thoughts.

I liked Full Circle, I think it's a solid album, and I'm sure the next album will be better, in some ways I would like it to be heavier, but I'd also like songs along the same lines as Wash Away Those Years, or Pity For a Dime, although I think some better choruses would be good. Some of choruses on Human Clay, with Wrong Way, Say I and What If really put me off, can't forget Bread of Shame either.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

chtimixeur and I have been agreeing a lot lately. I'd like to see things in Drop D (or Db), Open D5 or even standard tuning (PFAD, WTLF, and One all were, all good tunes). Put more emphasis on the hooks that were all over Human Clay and Weathered and missing on Full Circle. Creed has always had a pop element, embrace it. A couple atmospheric moody songs in the MOP/Torn vein would be nice for the old school fans, too. I get what BSC is saying, too. About the whole Iron Maiden-style repeating the name of the song five times as a chorus, haha.
Last edited by NytestrykerZ on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlterBlade
White Knuckled

Post by AlterBlade »

NytestrykerZ wrote:A couple atmospheric moody songs in the MOP/Torn vein would be nice for the old school fans, too.
Mark and Scott said they wrote something like that, called FacelessMan Prison.
I still live.... #2024
Vote: AlterBlade

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I've listened to the two Creed demos for the first time in a couple of weeks, and boy oh boy, Stapp needs to work on his delivery. You could never tell he got his old voice back (he often sounds out of breath, and his throat gargle is really off-putting). The whole "Swallow my pride" song is a big mess vocally (the words just don't fit the instrumental at all), and "Devil Inside You" is alright up until the bridge. Then, he sings way too much instead of letting the band shine instrumentally.

These guys need a producer to guide them. And by "a producer", I mean John Kurzweg. He's my only hope for a decent "Creed V" album.
BSC wrote:they wrote songs like With Arms Wide Open and Higher, which are probably two of the most hated and cheesey songs ever?
Yup, but those songs were still good songs.
I kinda hope they don't go too far in the cheesy Christian lyrics this time, but I'm pretty sure Stapp will write a couple of songs about his wife and his daughters. :zzz

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I agree with the entire OP.

I don't dislike Elvis, but I feel Creed shouldn't use him, lest Creed V ends up sounding too much like AB.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'm still a fan of getting Kurzweg back.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

I am all for Kurzweg, but does he produce music anymore? According to facebook page, he seems to focusing on mixing than producing. Maybe Creed will be one band to get back into it.

Creed starts recording next week ... so we will know soon enough.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'm not too sure to be honest. I'd like to see him get back in the game though. He knows all about Creed's roots.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Rampage24
Bought The CDs

Post by Rampage24 »

Andy92 wrote:I'm still a fan of getting Kurzweg back.
I'm all for that as well. He did an amazing job with them back then. He took their songs to another level. Love the mixing on MOP and Higher. But as far as the music goes, I'd like Mark to go back to the Drop D a lot in stead of a half step down like he does live now. I know mark is a way better guitar player now than he was back then but I think the simple, rythm type stuff with catchy leads and intros really worked. The low, heavy Creed and massive solos is cool and you can bang your head to it, but it doesn't say CREED to me. I like the Creed that makes you think about life and bigger things than just banging your head for a few minutes. I wish he would stop using the semi-dirty clean tones. I know Im sounding like I dislike him or something haha but it really bugs the shit out of me for some reason that he uses the semi dirty clean tone. I always thought he had the best, heartfelt clean tones on the record and in concert. But I guess ultimately they are the waaay better musicians than I am so I guess they know what's best but that would be my wishlist I guess.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

A better producer. Kurzweg/Kelsey or anyone other than Elvis.
More clean intro/outros & a return to the classic Creed sound.
More Brian Marshall in the mix.
Better vocals from Scott. ZERO pitch correction. Off pitch? Sing it until you get it right!
Returning to Drop D/Open D/Standard... screw the low tunings.
Better lyrics with more substance.
Someone who really knows how to master a Rock album. I'm sick of the loudness war & people ruining albums through mastering.

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

The drop D half step down doesn't bother me at all. But that real low tuning like in Bread Of Shame (was it G?) doesn't sound right for Creed, perhaps he should leave that for AB.

I agree with what most have said about clean tones and production. I'd also like to see some more songs go from clean to dirty... like in Wrong Way...at the end of the second verse and it's like BAM...I always loved that. He still does that I guess, but it's not quite the same it seems, I guess because of the production. And live he just turns down the distortion for clean instead of using the pedal like he used to.

I'd also like to see more Stapp/Tremonti harmonies on the new CD, like in Thousand Faces. That really sounds cool.

And just some easy sing along type riffs with groove, like Illusion, What If and WTLF...

What I think they really need to do most of all... is write a hit song. They need another Higher to be really relevant in music once again.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Rampage24 wrote:But as far as the music goes, I'd like Mark to go back to the Drop D a lot in stead of a half step down like he does live now. I know mark is a way better guitar player now than he was back then but I think the simple, rythm type stuff with catchy leads and intros really worked. The low, heavy Creed and massive solos is cool and you can bang your head to it, but it doesn't say CREED to me. I like the Creed that makes you think about life and bigger things than just banging your head for a few minutes. I wish he would stop using the semi-dirty clean tones. I know Im sounding like I dislike him or something haha but it really bugs the shit out of me for some reason that he uses the semi dirty clean tone. I always thought he had the best, heartfelt clean tones on the record and in concert.
Excellent post. I agree 100% with you ! :bow
JaredWard wrote:A better producer. Kurzweg/Kelsey or anyone other than Elvis.
More clean intro/outros & a return to the classic Creed sound.
More Brian Marshall in the mix.
Better vocals from Scott. ZERO pitch correction. Off pitch? Sing it until you get it right!
Returning to Drop D/Open D/Standard... screw the low tunings.
Better lyrics with more substance.
Someone who really knows how to master a Rock album. I'm sick of the loudness war & people ruining albums through mastering.
Once again, I completely agree. You're right about the pitch correction. Back in the day, singers had to sing in pitch...

Overall, I'm glad to see so many fans care about this album and want the band to sound like vintage Creed (at least sonically).
A couple of years ago, many fans on this board loved Full Circle and wanted the band to go even further into this direction. I'm glad to see some people have changed their mind and realized Creed was not an alternative metal band after all.
Anyway, we'll probably have a clue next week with the name of the producer. If they choose Elvis/Johnny K/Howard Benson or if they produce it themselves, we will know what to expect sonically... :no

One thing is certain : if they don't manage to go back to their old formula this time, it will probablky never happen. It's their last shot at being relevant and successful in the USA.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Although it's on my wishlist I'm not holding my breath for them to return to Drop D anytime soon. Scott's voice has recovered but it's still not in Drop D shape. Meaning... he can't hit those old notes with ease like he used to. If he could they would play in Drop D/Standard on tour.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Actually, even If Scott's voice is in a good shape they tune everything half step down, so since All I Was is mainly in Drop C#, I wish they recorded something in that tuning instead of B or even G#.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Rampage24
Bought The CDs

Post by Rampage24 »

Vaux wrote: I'd also like to see some more songs go from clean to dirty... like in Wrong Way...at the end of the second verse and it's like BAM...I always loved that.
I agree 100%. I was thinking the same thing. I love how it just hits uou like that. Like the intro from Are You Ready? and going into the dirty chorus of One Last Breath. I always thought that was a signature thing from Mark.
What I think they really need to do most of all... is write a hit song. They need another Higher to be really relevant in music once again.
That's what I have been thinking ever since Full Circle came out. The only one that would be considered off that album for me is Rain. But I have said that they need some more of those type songs like Higher, One Last Breath and With Arms Wide Open. Catchy, melodic, heartfelt Rock and Roll that nobody else has been able to capture except them. Thats CREED to me.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Singing on half step down tuning is not necessarily easy than normal or drop tunings.. It is a misconception that if your range is limited, the lower you tune is better.. Infact it depends on an individual and his/her comfortable range of singing a particular song... It all depends on how your vocal chords have been worked out... Stapp's voice should sound good if the band reverts to the old tunings and gives Stapp some time to sing and get used to the songs... Its not difficult to to get back your lost voice provided enough and regular practice is put in... I personally found some songs hard to sing on half step down than on normal tuning...
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

I hope they get Kurzweg

SCOTT STAPP
@ImJakeSterling @MarkTremonti @BrianaMarshall @Scott_Phillips @Creed Appreciate ur thoughts. Creed is my ‪#1priority‬ & Kurzweg my ‪#1choice‬.