Wind-Up Records Gets Purchased by Concord Bicycle Music

A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Wind-Up Records Gets Purchased by Concord Bicycle Music

Post by chtimixeur »

Concord Bicycle Music has acquired both Fearless Records and the remaining catalog of Wind-Up Records (who had previously sold the rights to their more lucrative back albums to Concord Bicycle Music back in 2013.) Citing unnamed sources, Billboard report that the deal to purchase Fearless Records was allegedly around $10 million, with the label currently having an annual revenue of $15 million through the label, publishing and their own merchandising business. Artists currently signed to Fearless include Pierce The Veil, The Word Alive, Motionless In White and more. Meanwhile, bands currently on the Wind-Up roster that were part of the deal include Filter, Scott Stapp and more.
source : http://www.theprp.com/2015/05/06/news/f ... cle-music/

Original article at Billboard.com :
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/n ... ss-records
Meanwhile, Wind-up had annual revenue of under $1 million last year, but the label has a healthy release schedule this year that includes about a dozen releases. The label sold off catalog albums by Creed, Evanescence, Seether and Alter Bridge to Bicycle Music in October 2013, which was about 18 months ahead of the Bicycle Concord Merger in April 2015.

The Wind-Up roster includes Aranda, Civil Twilight, Filter, Five for Fighting, Genevieve, James Durbin, Jillette Johnson, Scott Stapp, Strange Talk, the Darkness, the Griswolds, the Virginmarys, Young Guns, Crobot and the Revivalists.

Vetri says that evolution of the marketplace into streaming has placed a tremendous administrative burden on labels trying to be transparent while accounting for multiple levels of streaming data.

"This deal with Concord gives us the ability to focus on signing, nurturing and marketing artist and their music while the Concord infrastructure takes away allot of the responsibilities that were proving to be too burdensome to handle," Vetri says.

Moreover Vetri added in a statement, “I have been working closely with the executive management at Concord over the last few years. It’s clear they are dedicated to building a major independent music company, one that benefits independent labels and their artists." Betri says the deal positions Wind-up to break new alternative and rock artists over the next several years.
I wonder if Stapp is going to get dropped or not, considering Proof of Life didn't exactly go platinum.
All I know, is that he made a huge mistake when he chose a deal with Wind-up instead of a big fat paycheck. They didn't do much for his album promotion-wise, and now, look what happened to that once great label.

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: Wind-Up Records Gets Purchased by Concord Bicycle Music

Post by nagpo »

who knows if he'll even make more music. it's probably not a very healthy culture for him

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

Scott Stapp isn't listed on the Windup records website ....

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Hopefully this makes it easier for Alter Bridge to obtain the rights to release the ODR b-sides, now that Wind-up can no longer block them out of spite.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I wonder if Creed still legally owes Wind-up 3 albums since they've basically sold everything to Concord Bicycle.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

What Alex said.. & who knows about the Creed contract. I would assume they'll hold them to it but who knows. I really hope they understand that they can still make a profit from the Creed name. So many demos, B-sides, live footage & other rare stuff in the vault to release.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

I've never even heard of Concord Bicycle Music.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Kreuger33 wrote:I've never even heard of Concord Bicycle Music.
Are you often riding your bike?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I somewhat know of them since Wind-Up sold the rights of ODR to them. If you check Spotify and look up below the One Day Remains Track Listing, it says "The Bicycle Music Company." It's also the new record label that Seether released their latest album with back in 2014.

I guess my only question is so what does this mean in terms of debt from past bands? Do they still owe money and it now goes to Concord Bicycle Music if they choose to make a payment?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

There's no way a transaction like this would eliminate Alter Bridge's debt from the Wind-up buyout. First of all, I highly doubt that Alter Bridge have been making payments directly to Wind-up. If anything, a bank or some other kind of financial instution would have paid Wind-up at the time of the buyout, and Alter Bridge have been indebted to the bank/institution since then. And even if they were paying Wind-up directly, Wind-up would have simply sold the debt to Bicycle or a third party.

This all brings up an interesting question. What did the band use as collateral for the loan? Imagine them walking into a bank and saying, "we need X million dollars to buy out a record contract." The banker would ask, "okay, what do you have to guarantee the loan?" If the guys responded, "we promise to tour and sell lots of albums so we can pay you back" (AKA the goodwill of the band name), they would have been laughed right out of the bank. Who knows, maybe they all remortgaged their houses or something.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I swear I saw this thread a few years ago...

This isn't new news

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Yes it is.
They sold a part of their catalogue previously.
Now, they've sold it all.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Someone asked Mark about it, I knew there was a seven record deal...

I guarantee they'll be back one of these days.

timusca
Bought The CDs

Post by timusca »

JaredWard wrote:Someone asked Mark about it, I knew there was a seven record deal...

I guarantee they'll be back one of these days.
None of us can guarantee anything, really...

I really wouldn't get your hopes up. Flip convinced me that it is very unlikely. The guys just don't work well together anymore. Contracts are only pieces of paper, after all.
"Whoa, this has wicked dueling guitar solos! It's like squeedly versus meedley over here!" - Strong Bad

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Oh I don't expect it anytime soon.. could be years but if they can reunite after all that went on during the weathered era then anything is possible. I will never say 'never' again much like Mark has said in recent interviews.