Scott Stapp Public Statement (Updated: On Nightline Tonight)

A place for all Creed discussion.
Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Re: Scott Stapp Public Statement (Updated: On Nightline Toni

Post by Fish Tacos »

chtimixeur wrote:I think it's a bit too soon to start talking about his issues.
I do too and I don't think it bodes well for the future.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

New article.

Scott Stapp: How My Wife Saved Me

For months, Scott Stapp was on a downward spiral.

The Creed frontman had fled treatment to embark on a cross-country road trip. As he drove from Miami to California, his behavior was erratic and frightening – a result of substance abuse and previously undiagnosed bipolar disorder.

"I was walking around like a crazy man," he says in this week's issue of PEOPLE. "I started growing a beard like Jesus. At one point, I pulled my truck over and started running down the side of the highway, thinking that someone was trying to kill me."

While Stapp was going through his breakdown, his wife, Jaclyn, was facing her own torment.

On Thanksgiving, she got a text from a friend that Stapp, 41, had released a video in which he rambled about being under attack. "I had to be strong for the kids," says Jaclyn, a children's book author who is also the founder of CHARM (Children Are Magical). "But I was a wreck. I was completely devastated. My heart was broken."

For a while, Jaclyn, 34, was unable to convince her husband to seek treatment. But after the holidays, she began to text photos of the children – sons Jagger, 16 (Stapp's son from his first marriage; Jaclyn adopted him in 2008), and Daniel, 4, and daughter Milan, 8 – to Stapp. "It was all I could do at that point," she says. "I wanted him to know that we still loved him and wanted him to get better."

The pictures caught Stapp's attention. "I had a moment of clarity and realized if I don't go to treatment, I'm going to lose my wife and my kids," he says. "I started to ask myself, 'Oh my God, what have I done?' "

Stapp began treatment with the help of the Grammy Association's MusiCares program at a dual diagnostic facility.

Five months later, he still has a lot of work to do. Says Stapp: "It's a lifetime road."

For Jaclyn, she wants to be supportive without being an enabler. "My expectation for him is to put his recovery and mental health first," she says. "Because if he takes care of his mind, body, spirit, he will be the best husband and father. So my expectations are for him to continue the program he has in place."

As painful as the past six months have been, Jaclyn tells PEOPLE that she's still in love with her husband. "He's not perfect," she says, "and I'm not perfect. But we're perfect for each other."
Just watched the special btw. Thought it was okay.. very short & nothing really new. Whoever the doctor is that he lied to was probably a wacko.. he needs to cut all ties & let Jaclyn handle all of his prescriptions. As far as fears of him falling away again.. all we can do as fans is to pray for the guy, plain & simple. I'm just very relieved that he's getting help & he's alive for his wife & his family.

~Fallen Angel~
TABN.com Citizen

Post by ~Fallen Angel~ »

Well, this is what i mean, it's like he is trying to use it as an excuse for those actions but it's def so much more going on there.
Sure , it is a shitty thing to have but like someone said, it's a very common thing now.
Kind of like OCD, everyone has it in some way. LOL.

Also, as i said, people have seen and have known the guy has had issues for years.
Truthfully, i have always thought something happened to him, like, something really not good when he was young or something. I'm not going to say it for fear of getting jumped but i'm no therapist but i swear there something more and thensome
Either way, i think he looks great and hopefully will keep on the right track.
He needs to get out and play some golf and get back into things.
New life, new things, etc...Good for him. You go Scott. :wave

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I received the People Magazine today with the article in it. He apparently doesn't live with his family anymore. He's also converting to Catholicism as well.
~Fallen Angel~ wrote: Also, as i said, people have seen and have known the guy has had issues for years.
Truthfully, i have always thought something happened to him, like, something really not good when he was young or something. I'm not going to say it for fear of getting jumped but i'm no therapist but i swear there something more and thensome
He mentions in his book that his dad physically abused him as a child

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

~Fallen Angel~ wrote:like, something really not good when he was young or something. I'm not going to say it for fear of getting jumped but i'm no therapist but i swear there something more and thensome
That's possible but it's really just your classic nature vs nurture debate. You can have twin boys that are raised by the same family, treated the same way, given the same opportunities and one of them might thrive while the other fails miserably. There are abused folks that overcame their issues and their lives are success stories too. Hell, in my father's generation a lot of the way their parents treated them would be considered abuse or apathy now. It's never all one thing or the other, some folks are just more inclined towards self-destruction.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

nagpo wrote:I received the People Magazine today with the article in it. He apparently doesn't live with his family anymore. He's also converting to Catholicism as well.
~Fallen Angel~ wrote: Also, as i said, people have seen and have known the guy has had issues for years.
Catholicism? That's interesting.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Have you seen his eyes when he looked at his wife? Damn
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I really feel sorry for Stapp I hope he'll handle his problems soon.

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

Post subject: Re: Scott Stapp Public Statement (Updated: On Nightline Toni Reply with quote
I received the People Magazine today with the article in it. He apparently doesn't live with his family anymore. He's also converting to Catholicism as well.
Is he living alone? How is that accepting Scott back?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

number1 wrote:
Post subject: Re: Scott Stapp Public Statement (Updated: On Nightline Toni Reply with quote
I don't think that's so strange. Forgiving and still loving Scott is one thing, but dealing with everything as a family after everything that's happened must be a lot harder.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Finaldecision wrote:
nagpo wrote:I received the People Magazine today with the article in it. He apparently doesn't live with his family anymore. He's also converting to Catholicism as well.
Catholicism? That's interesting.
Apparently his wife and her family are catholic.
GazEd wrote:Have you seen his eyes when he looked at his wife? Damn
yeah he was about to cry
number1 wrote:
I was wrong about that bit. He is living with them now, but he wasn't for a while. He was receiving treatment. Sorry about that mix up. Also, remember Jaclyn talked about supporting and forgiving him but not forgetting. Apparently Jagger was very angry with him.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Catholic, eh?

Interesting, I wonder how much of this was his choice or the influence of his wife

I'm shocked it took medical doctors and psychiatrists this long to "diagnose" him. Seems almost like he's been living in clinics and rehabs for so long now

Side note-that clip of him stealing the moto-cart was HILARIOUS! I had to laugh at that hahah

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

~Fallen Angel~ wrote:Truthfully, i have always thought something happened to him, like, something really not good when he was young or something. I'm not going to say it for fear of getting jumped but i'm no therapist but i swear there something more and thensome
If I remember correctly, an interviewer asked him about it in december 2013, and he said he was not ready to talk about that yet. It was a video interview where he wasn't wearing a beanie, but I can't find it on youtube.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Lol Wait, are you being sarcastic or serious? They are living together & I haven't seen anything about him being Catholic. Anyone have scans?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

JaredWard wrote:Lol Wait, are you being sarcastic or serious? They are living together & I haven't seen anything about him being Catholic. Anyone have scans?
I already corrected myself on the first part. And give me a sec to post a pic from the article

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

number 2. straight from the article

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

That seems like a strange reason to convert to Catholicism. I don't think evangelical churches are any more abusive than Catholic churches. It was just the particular situation Scott was in that was abusive. Scott will probably receive some criticism from evangelical Christians for that, as some of them believe that Catholicism is outside the boundaries of Christianity. I used to think that way but don't anymore. I have my disagreements with them but still believe that Catholicism is part of Christianity.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Literally almost any belief can be used to abuse someone.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Still making music?

Geez I'm not sure how that'll work out. I thought POL was pretty bad, mostly cuz his voice was hard to listen to

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I kinda see where he's coming from, because I was raised strictly Evangelical as well. Using the word abusive is a bit extreme though.

But still, learning your children about stuff like Satan and Hell at a young age can have a negative effect. My parents told me when I was very little that ghosts were real, so I couldn't watch certain TV shows. That's kinda messed up in my opinion. That's not something children should worry about. He had it a lot worse of course, because his father was abusive.

In the end it doesn't really matter though. Same bible, same message. A strict Catholic upbringing is just as "abusive" in my opinion. The key word is strict.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.