Scott Stapp playing Creed songs on his solo tour

A place for all Creed discussion.
HappyHogJens
White Knuckled

Scott Stapp playing Creed songs on his solo tour

Post by HappyHogJens »

Nope. Just nope. That's all I can say.
Creed songs must be played by Creed and not Scott Stapp with his band. Only Creed can play them.
Nope.
That's all I can say.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Scott Stapp playing Creed songs on his solo tour

Post by anguyen92 »

Ehhhh, I call rubbish on this one. This is one where I can digress. I saw this earlier, but Myles plays Rise Today with Slash, a few times in their tours, and if he were to plan an acoustic tour (quite unlikely right now), naturally there are going to be AB songs. By your logic, does not mean that Myles should not play those songs because the AB songs must be played by AB and not Myles only and only AB can play them? Should Slash not play GNR songs because those songs must be played by the guys in the current GNR and not Slash/Myles/Conspirators? It's essentially a similar situation.

Now, if you do not like the performances that Stapp and his solo band are doing, that's a fair and honest statement to make.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

If you're gonna create a thread for something that is already being discussed in another topic could you at least give us a bit than the insightful statement 'Creed songs must be played by Creed'?

I don't see a problem with it, Scott is clearly more recognised for his Creed work than Mark is, seeing as he's got such a recognisable voice and personality (hence all the hate too). A lot of fans would be extremely disappointed if his set only consisted of his solo songs.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think about Myles playing Rise Today with Slash? Should Slash's set list only consist of his solo work and no GnR songs?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

That's just funny how I edited the post to include the whole "should Slash not play GNR songs," and after I edited it, I see BSC mention that point.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Haha, I had also written my point about Myles playing Rise Today, then when I went to click submit it told me you had submitted your post, and I couldn't be assed to remove it :lol

Also, it's not like Mark, Brian and Scott have any intention to play these songs anytime soon, most fans want to hear them being played, so why shouldn't Scott play them?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Imagine David Gilmour not playing Pink Floyd stuff.
Imagine Ozzy Osbourne not playing Black Sabbath stuff.
Imagine Eric Clapton not playing Cream stuff.

That would sound pretty weird. Playing Creed songs by Stapp is just right. No need for butthurt.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Would ya rather he get 3 new band mates to play under the band name Creed ala Axl Rose?
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I don't really understand, why are people getting butthurt about stapp singing creed songs? His new album is pretty awful, and creed is what he's known for. Besides the absolute die hards (like the ones on this forum) who want to hear new stuff, I'm sure the vast majority of the crowd erupted when he starts singing higher or something.

Axl Rose still sings Guns n roses songs. Myles sings Rise today with slash. Queen tours with freakin adam levine after the guy that made their band passed away. I just don't see the big deal.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I don't see the big deal either..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

It is what it is. It is a business and most people know Stapp from Creed and not his solo career.

Seeker_1306
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Seeker_1306 »

This is the most ridiculous thing to try to argue. With the exception of a very small handful of songs, Stapp wrote every song from Creed. He has every right on earth to sing the songs HE WROTE. At the same time, it shouldn't be an issue either if Mark wanted to sing 'Torn' at his solo shows, since he wrote it.

Try using that argument on Chris Cornell fans that go to his solo shows and he didn't play 'Black Hole Sun' or any of his Audioslave hits.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I agree but "he" didn't write every song.. "they" did.

Seeker_1306
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Seeker_1306 »

JaredWard wrote:I agree but "he" didn't write every song.. "they" did.
Well yeah, of course they were a collective unit. But Slash, Chris Cornell, etc. were all in bands as well who contributed parts to the songs.

empjori
Brand New Start

Post by empjori »

OMG, of course he's gonna sing Creed songs. These songs are what he is known for. I would even say he should sing 50% Creed/50% solo stuff to make the crowds happy. I just don't like that he forgot about his first solo album. The Great Divide had some killer tunes.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

empjori wrote:OMG, of course he's gonna sing Creed songs. These songs are what he is known for. I would even say he should sing 50% Creed/50% solo stuff to make the crowds happy. I just don't like that he forgot about his first solo album. The Great Divide had some killer tunes.
The Great Divide did have decent tunes. Reach Out, Fight Song, Hard Way, Justify, Surround Me are pretty good.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

creed009
Loyal Follower

Post by creed009 »

I don't see why he doesn't perform the song "The Great Divide." I thought that was the best song from his first solo album.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That is an awesome song. One of my favorite songs of his lyrically too, which is saying a lot since lyric writing was always his strong point.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Is his backing band any good? He played here recently, but I didn't bother going.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

They're decent, but the lead guitar player lacks the "mmph" factor when he plays heavy riffs. He just sounds flat, and his lead tone is different from the old school Creed one. It's full of 80's reverb, and some clean guitar parts are not played accurately AT ALL.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

chtimixeur wrote:They're decent, but the lead guitar player lacks the "mmph" factor when he plays heavy riffs. He just sounds flat, and his lead tone is different from the old school Creed one. It's full of 80's reverb, and some clean guitar parts are not played accurately AT ALL.

Yep, the band needs a much better bass player to start with and, Andy's lead guitar tones need to be better. He is a great guitar player, but his sound is more digital than organic. I anyday prefer Bodnar and zelick. Bodnar had something special and Zelick was a killer bassy.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..