Creed Broken Up Again???

A place for all Creed discussion.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Creed Broken Up Again???

Post by Andy92 »

Them Bones wrote:Brian screwed up, got kicked out by Mark, Stapp screwed up, got kicked out by Mark. Not saying Mark was right or wrong, he definitely calls and used to call the shots. Secondly, Stapp was the frontman of Creed, he used to talk a lot in the interviews, but wheres the "fact" that Stapp used to dictate the band in the past? haven't come across anything that suggests that in so many years. All I know is that the management and the record label held these guys by the balls and that Stapp screwed his private life up, I doubt Stapp was calling shots in the past, always seemed like Creed was a band that had democracy and was divided by "other" people close to the band interfering too much and filling ears to get closer to the band members. Am saying this not after reading the book, but had to say the same back in 2003 when Creed was breaking up. It always did seem like people were bitching and creating problems between these guys more than what they had going on between themselves.
Windup was the Smeagol to Sam and Frodo.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They didn't play Words Darker Than Their Wings because Myles didn't want to. I agree that Mark is the driving force behind Alter Bridge, but saying Mark's a dictator is nonsense.
AllC392Was wrote:Mark is Alter Bridge
After All I Was I'm glad he's not.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Timotheus wrote:They didn't play Words Darker Than Their Wings because Myles didn't want to. I agree that Mark is the driving force behind Alter Bridge, but saying Mark's a dictator is nonsense.
Why didn't they play it? Source? lol

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

AllC392Was wrote:
Timotheus wrote:They didn't play Words Darker Than Their Wings because Myles didn't want to. I agree that Mark is the driving force behind Alter Bridge, but saying Mark's a dictator is nonsense.
Why didn't they play it? Source? lol
Check out Live at Wembley documentary, moment when the band talks with DC3 on the phone a few nights before Wembley.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Andy92 wrote:We're splitting hairs at this point because the band couldn't continue if either of them left. I'm just talking about the history of the band. Mark has been the guy taking the lead role in most things, and I don't mean just musically. The band is pretty 50/50 right now from a music standpoint.
:yeahthat
Dan Dando wrote:
Jim wrote:Mark is definitely the dominant force throughout all of his endeavours. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool
Well it looks like I'm a fool then because there's no way that Mark is the dominant force within Alter Bridge. Sure, he's a force.... but I think Myles (and maybe even the other guys) are his equal in that aspect. Remember when he didn't want Breathe Again on AB3 but was over-ruled by the guys? That doesn't sound like a "dominant force" (and there are other examples).
Believe me, Mark is very dominant with EVERYTHING that happens with Alter Bridge.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

In an interview a while back (might be the TABN interview) Brian said something about wanting to sing. I wonder why they won't let him sing backup. I agree that AB is a 50/50 split as far as creative. But I'd love to see some of BMarsh's ideas.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Jim wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
Jim wrote:Mark is definitely the dominant force throughout all of his endeavours. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool
Well it looks like I'm a fool then because there's no way that Mark is the dominant force within Alter Bridge. Sure, he's a force.... but I think Myles (and maybe even the other guys) are his equal in that aspect. Remember when he didn't want Breathe Again on AB3 but was over-ruled by the guys? That doesn't sound like a "dominant force" (and there are other examples).
Believe me, Mark is very dominant with EVERYTHING that happens with Alter Bridge.
Does anyone really care about anything other than the music though? And personally.. I think it's clear to see that, creatively, Mark isn't the sole dominant force. Mark only recently admitted (don't you dare ask for a source, haha) that he wasn't expecting Myles to bring such heavy ideas to the table when they re-convened to make Fortress. I think Mark trusts Myles so much that he would let AB be steered in a different direction if Myles, for example, brought ideas to the table for the next album that were completely different to Mark's ideas.

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

Mark does trust Myles with AB. But I'm sure Mark has some things that he wants done his way

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

AllC392Was wrote:Mark does trust Myles with AB. But I'm sure Mark has some things that he wants done his way
Of course he does... but that's not the point I was contesting. Mark wanting some things done his way is nowhere near what Jim said, which is what I was responding to.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

I'm not really gonna get into a bullshit discussion speculating this kind of topic, I've said what I wanted to say. Don't underestimate how much control Mark has over his career

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Jim wrote:I'm not really gonna get into a bullshit discussion speculating this kind of topic, I've said what I wanted to say. Don't underestimate how much control Mark has over his career
Well, I don't under-estimate the control Mark has over his career but forgive me for thinking that my favourite band is actually that... a band, and not a "dominant force" surrounded by three yes-men. The only thing that's bullshit is the nonsense you spouted back on Page 12, and calling those who disagree with you... fools. So, mod, put your toys back in your pram, eh?

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

No one doubts how much input Myles has, but the fact is he began in Alter Bridge as a singer hired for an album already mostly written by Mark. It'd take a dramatic shift for Myles to now be the member most "in charge". Alter Bridge is a full band effort but almost every band has a member that's the "band leader", even if they're not the member whose input you like best, and in Alter Bridge that's Mark Tremonti.

The important part isn't who's the "most dominant" (maybe next we can debate who would win in a fight? ;) ), it's what someone said earlier - Mark and Myles trust each other's ideas, and the band seem able to get on the same page about their direction. We can debate who has the most power to say no to ideas etc. in the band, but the fact is it doesn't seem to matter much who's got more control than who when everyone is happy with the other people's input. Mark and Stapp weren't able to get on the same page for whatever reason, and I don't think Mark would trust Stapp to lead Creed in whatever direction he wanted.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I think where Stapp wanted to go with Creed - getting Kurzweg back as a producer would have been better. The entire goal of the next album was to try and recapture the old Creed sound. Not to make a faux Alter Bridge album.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Dan Dando wrote:
Jim wrote:I'm not really gonna get into a bullshit discussion speculating this kind of topic, I've said what I wanted to say. Don't underestimate how much control Mark has over his career
Well, I don't under-estimate the control Mark has over his career but forgive me for thinking that my favourite band is actually that... a band, and not a "dominant force" surrounded by three yes-men. The only thing that's bullshit is the nonsense you spouted back on Page 12, and calling those who disagree with you... fools. So, mod, put your toys back in your pram, eh?
That's absolutely not what I am saying. I'm not saying Mark is a "leader" whatsoever, I said he's dominant when it comes to being in control of the band that he is in. Brian and Flip are very clearly much more passive businessmen. Mark is the driving force through all of it, if that's not clear then it's not me that has a problem.

Im not directing what I'm saying to you by the way, just want to be clear on that. I'm just stating a fairly educated outlook on it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Jim wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:
That's absolutely not what I am saying. I'm not saying Mark is a "leader" whatsoever, I said he's dominant when it comes to being in control of the band that he is in. Brian and Flip are very clearly much more passive businessmen. Mark is the driving force through all of it, if that's not clear then it's not me that has a problem.

Im not directing what I'm saying to you by the way, just want to be clear on that. I'm just stating a fairly educated outlook on it.
Well if thinking that Myles Kennedy at the very least is just as much a dominant force, creatively and musically, as Mark Tremonti - then I'm happy having that problem as I don't think that's an opinion that's foolish to be honest. If you meant that Mark is the dominant force, business wise (now that's something I can't disagree with) then you should have made that clear a page ago.

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

Them Bones wrote:Brian screwed up, got kicked out by Mark...

This statement isn't true, but I understand why the urban myths are cooler than the truth.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Myles doesn't have a catwalk either... I'm sensing a pattern here.
Ashlee wrote:
Them Bones wrote:Brian screwed up, got kicked out by Mark...
This statement isn't true, but I understand why the urban myths are cooler than the truth.
There was one interesting snippet in that new interview in the Alter Bridge section though, about Brian still being peeved back when the band was getting started (and it was Mark saying it). Why'd that be if Mark had nothing to do with it? Genuine question, I've no idea.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Stapp acted in his book like Mark made the call to let Brian go from Creed originally. Not saying he's true in saying that, but I can't remember hearing otherwise.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Ubik wrote:Myles doesn't have a catwalk either... I'm sensing a pattern here..
Dont really think Myles is the type to need a "catwalk". That's probably why Mark (and Slash) find it nice to work with Myles because he isnt an ego driven guy, he's humble. Stapp, not so much.
Thanks Timo!

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Myles would never want a cat-walk either. Not his style.

Anyway.. Stapp is sticking to his guns in other interviews about this topic.

http://www.breathecast.com/articles/sco ... ife-13327/
Stapp warns Creed fans regarding a reunion.

...I've tried my best, brother, to be a Christian and do what I feel the Lord is wanting me to do and I just felt in my heart that it became an unhealthy situation. I love those guys and I pray from them every day and wish them the best, but until Creed gets back to a mutual respect between Mark and I -- and not Mark telling me all these things I can and can't do or he's going to walk -- it's not going to happen...
You would think he would just say "we're just not on the same page right now" but he continues to paint Mark as an ego-maniac :/ sooner or later the word will get back to Mark & it's not going to be pretty.